This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those Who Are Bedridden And Can't Cook Or Afford gluten-free Products

medicalenigma

medicalenigma Newbie

As I mentioned in my last post, I am on and off bedridden with multiple chronic conditions and am going to be tested for gluten sensntivity in the near future. With that said, I have no energy to cook (barely have the energy to type these posts) and I also cannot afford premade gluten free foods...I feel like my finances and current state of health is going to make it near impossible for me to follow a gluten free lifestyle. I would like any advise from those who are in the same predicament. While the recipes look yummy i have noone to make them for me and cannot buy many gluten free products.

Thanks for any advise you can give me. I used to belong to a gluten free support group when i tried gluten free years ago and unfortunately the people on there was not very sensitive to my situation and said you either cook gluten free or you buy the premade stuff..they either had someone to cook for them or were not as ill as i was unable to cook for themselves (or they were made of money ;) so i was not successful in going gluten free. My situation is pretty much the same right now but I am hoping for a miracle that will allow me to get around these issues.

blessings

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm wondering, if you are that ill. maybe your insurance or Medicaid would pay for some household help?

What have you been eating? There are simple things that are gluten-free. Beans and rice, chicken and rice, hamburger without bun, frozen or canned veggies and fruit, cheese, yogurt, Chex cereal, etc. Make a bunch at once to eat all week. Put it in a crockpot to cook itself.

Read around, we have threads about gluten-free on a budget.

kareng Grand Master

In then upper right corner, is a google search. Use budget or cheap. There should be quite a few. A few I found:

Roda Rising Star

Who helps you grocery shop? If you have someone, would they be willing to help you out some in the kitchen? Do you have any family or friends that would be willing to come by say, once a week to help you make up some snacks/meals for the week? What about inquiring with a local Meals on Wheels program to see if they could provide gluten free meals? Do you belong to a church that may be able to help shut ins etc.? What about contacting some charitable orginazitions or the food bank in your area?

Some food ideas that I can think of off the top of my head:

-Craisens

-fresh fruits/veggies

-gluten free Rice Krispies

-rice, corn, chocolate, honey nut, apple cinnamon Chex cereals

-cocoa and fruity pebbles cereal

-Underwood deviled ham

-Armour vienna sausages

-Spam

-Dinty More beef stew

-certain varietes of Progresso soups

-rice

-canned fruits/veggies

-Bush's baked beans

-eggs

-corn tortillas

-prepackaged deli meat(Hormel, Buddig, Hilshire Farms, Land O Frost, Applegate Farms)

-prepackaged cheese and cheese slices

-Jell O

-apple sauce

-hamburger patties/hotdogs/smoked sausage

-potatoes

-Nature Valley roasted nut crunch bars(almond and peanut)

-salsa

-Lays Stax

-Sam's Mill pasta(my favorite and for a 16 oz. package is around $2.50 or less which is pretty cheep for gluten free pasta)

-Classico pasta sauce

-Mary's Kitchen and Hormel corned beef hash.

-canned tuna

-canned chicken

-there are some Taste of Thai quick meals in a box that are gltuen free

-Thai Kitchen instant rice noodle soups

-popcorn

-peanut butter

-Quaker rice cakes(big ones only and are labled on the package gluten free. They make a great base for all kinds of toppings)

-pepperoni

I really hope you find a way to make it work. You deserve to feel better. Thinking of you.

MitziG Enthusiast

Just curious what "testing" you are doing? There is no accurate test for gluten sensitivity. You do need to be tested for celiac disease though BEFORE you begin a gluten free diet. If you are already gluten free you will have a false negative.

Many normal foods are already gluten free- you don't need to buy specialty items other than bread. Chex, pebbles cereal, kix are all safe to eat. Nuts are usually fine (just check to make surre they aren't processed with wheat) pretty much all plain, unseasoned rice (zatarains does have some mixes that are gluten-free, but not all are) all fruit and veggies are fine. Assuming someone must cook something for you, or you are able to cook a little? Plain meat is fine, just watch your seasonings. Canned beans and corn taco shells and tortillas (takes awhile to get used to the taste, but now I love them) dairy products are generally safe as well.

love2travel Mentor

Chronic conditions forcing you to be bedridden are horrid - I understand how that is. I was bedridden with a back injury and nearly five years later have constant back pain. I totally understand that you do not have energy and that with chronic pain there is muscle wasting involved due to inactivity. All sorts of serious pain meds did absolutely nothing but make me feel worse so I am finished with them. As I love cooking I do it but I do it in spurts. I do my prep then lie down. Then something else, lie down. But it is that passion that draws me to it. Without that passion it would be doubly difficult. My pain is no longer acute nor does it keep me in bed for days on end as it used to. That can and will happen to you, too. Don't give up hope! :D

Do you have a slow cooker or crock pot? Someone else mentioned that idea. Is it possible to make large batches of things that last for several days such as chili con carne, all sorts of chicken, meatballs, soups and so on? When I have rough pain days I make something like potato leek soup that lasts for about four days. Lentils and other pulses and legumes are very inexpensive and go a long way.

And it is true that many foods are naturally gluten free, thankfully. Gluten-free snacks are often expensive and soooo not worth it in my opinion. Do you have the inclination to make hummus (inexpensive) or vinaigrette (also inexpensive) to go with your veggies? Can a friend prep vegetables for you?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

The prospect of cooking when you are entirely ill is daunting. I was there. Keep it very simple. I had about two things I could make and it was only because I had to.

1 or 2 Cartons of Chicken Broth (no gluten or msg),Chicken Breasts, A package of frozen vegetables that you tolerate,Put them in a pot and simmer until the chicken falls apart.

1 or 2 Cartons of Beef Broth (no gluten or msg), Beef(ground beef or a roast)Package of frozen peas and carrots, Package of diced frozen potatos.

Simmer until the beef falls apart. Ground beef takes less time.

I did cook rice too....so that is #3 I guess.

You just need simple food.

I wasn't up for cutting anything up, dropping any spices in, or gluten free baking for many months.

It might not sound great, but if that is all you can do, then that is all you can do.

Hoping the friends or fiance' can help you, but if they can't....these might be helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived