36 replies to this topic

#31 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I am glad you had such a wonderful trip but here's a suggestion.......go ahead and eat wheat again as you have not been diagnosed with celiac. But keep in mind that you did have symptoms that resolved on the gluten-free diet. After 3 months, go and have a celiac panel done.
See if your symptoms return. That way, you can enjoy your wheat but still make an attempt to see if you have the disease because if you do, you are going to want to know.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 the2glutes

the2glutes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

The same thing just happened to my wife and me. We were in Barcelona and Sicily for nearly a month. We had been experiencing what we recently discovered to be typical gluten- sensitivity symptoms (headaches, fibromyalgia-like pains, brain fog, gastrointestinal problems). When we were traveling we had not realized the connection and ate pizza, bread, pasta with no effect. In fact, we were pleased that the symptoms had gone away. Occasionally, I'd feel a twinge of pain when eating a LOT more bread products than usual but nothing like what we felt at home. When we returned, the symptoms redeveloped, and we ultimately had an "Aha!" moment that it must be gluten. We removed gluten from our diet, and the symptoms have vanished. Again, like other posters here, we don't know what the difference is with wheat in both Barcelona and Sicily versus both Canada and the US where we've experienced problems. We did a lot more walking and were highly active there as opposed to sitting all the time at home. At home we eat organic all the time as well. Interestingly, our gluten sensitivity also seems related to chemical exposures, as in visits to malls or box stores that waft chemical odors from synthetic products. We try to avoid these at home but probably had even less exposure in Europe.

#33 Purpletie3

Purpletie3

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:39 AM

You all brought such interesting food for thought on this...I was newly diagnosed in Feb. First of April I went to Europe with my Dietician best friend & our teen daughters. She had heard about the wheat difference. I was determined to stay gluten-free until we were invited to her family's house for dinner~ They were a sweet couple in their 90's and she had spent all day cooking for us...and spoke only Italian. So, I fell back into my manners...I had a small amount of pasta (Barilla) and a bite of bread...then when we got backthat night the Teens went back for Margharita pizza and I had a slice...  DUH...everyone was snuggled down for the night and about 3:30 am I started getting ill. Didn't settle down until Noon. My self polluting lead to me being sick for the entire week. I went liquid for two days...I steep ginger root and cinnamon into a tea...that allows my body to heal a little and settle and not spend energy digesting but healing. I have to tell you...the lack of information out there known by a Dietician is scary...and I learned to trust my own body.  I found there are a lot of people who say..."don't worry you can have a little" Nieve and new to Celiacs I paid for it. The damage to my small bowel is there..can't see or feel it.   I know better now...even a small crumb will make me sick. Lesson learned.

#34 Waitingindreams

Waitingindreams

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to this topic...

I went to the doctor last summer (July 2013) because I just didn't feel good at all. EVERYTHING I ate seemed to go right through me, or give me sharp stomach pains. Sandwiches, minestrone soup, my mom's fried dough, salad, etc. Except for pizza.

I found this out the day before my 3rd date with my now boyfriend. I bought minestrone soup and made a grilled cheese. Within 20 minutes I was in the bathroom, very sick. For 12 hours, every 2 hours, I was in the bathroom again. It is the worst I have ever felt. I assumed it was food poisoning. I was up until 6 AM feeling awful. When I woke up, I decided I wasn't going to eat anything at all, to avoid getting sick before my date. We spent the whole day together...we walked to a park near my house and had a really nice time. Then it was time for dinner, and I knew I couldn't just not eat anything all day...so we decided to walk to a pizza place near my house and share a pizza. I didn't get sick. This all happened in late June. 

I literally could not stomach anything but pizza. I knew something was wrong and I didn't feel good, but I also knew I had to eat - so I picked up some microwavable pizzas from the store and ate those. No reaction. Finally (July 1st)  I got so sick I knew it was time to go to the doctor. I told him all of my symptoms...about how I always had to run to the bathroom within 20 minutes..how sick I felt, how crampy, the diarrhea, etc. He suggested it was celiac disease. I told him it couldn't be, because I could eat pizza..and I knew pizza had wheat/gluten in it. He said sometimes your body just doesn't react to certain things and sent me for the blood tests. Obviously the results came back positive (and alarmingly high)

I live in the US and the wheat flour used in all of the pizzas I bought was not imported from Italy, or non GMO, or anything different- and it still didn't make me sick for whatever reason. Other forms of gluten made me violently ill though, such as bread, soup with noodles, etc. In short, just because you didn't react, it doesn't mean intestinal damage wasn't being done. I had NO idea what I was doing to my body...but just because I realized pizza didn't bother me for some odd reason, doesn't mean I'd include regular pizza as part of my gluten free diet. And in fact, it could have been bothering me in other ways...just no GI symptoms like I was used to.

Don't do it! That's my advice... 

Diagnosed via blood test: July 2013

Digestive Issues: Lactose Intolerance, Candidiasis, recurring hiatal hernia, possible SIBO

Skin Issues: Rosacea, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Tinea Versicolor

Sleeping Issues: Idiopathic Central Nervous System Hypersomnia, Sleep Paralysis

Allergies: Severe Seasonal allergies,histamine intolerance (under control) sulpha drugs, Oral Allergy Syndrome

Other: TMJ, Gallstones, Orthostatic Hypotension, Dysmennorhea, possible Adrenal Fatigue

Gluten Free - 07/13, Soy Free 05/14, Legume Free 05/14, Dairy Free 09/14, Grain Free 10/14

"I am in control of my own health" - working on crossing everything off this list.

#35 Mishy

Mishy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

I recently discover I have Celiac  and I miss pizza, bread and all the other foods that have gluten;( But I have been reading all about sourdough bread, I mean real sourdough bread. The kind that the starter has fermented 3 or more day. The fermenting processes breaks down the gluten. So the longer it is fermented the less gluten. I was so glad to here this I now eat sourdough bread.Not the kind there grocery store carries I went to my locale bakery and they ferment the starter for 3 days.I can tolerate that I just cant over due it. I eat it for a few days then I need to take a break. for a few days.

I feel if I can make my own starter and ferment it for 7 days that would be the best!! Just started my own starter hoping to make sourdough pizza crust. I will report back when I am done. 

Also I just purchased some white flour form Italy. Going to give that a try also. I will up date later.  

#36 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

I recently discover I have Celiac and I miss pizza, bread and all the other foods that have gluten;( But I have been reading all about sourdough bread, I mean real sourdough bread. The kind that the starter has fermented 3 or more day. The fermenting processes breaks down the gluten. So the longer it is fermented the less gluten. I was so glad to here this I now eat sourdough bread.Not the kind there grocery store carries I went to my locale bakery and they ferment the starter for 3 days.I can tolerate that I just cant over due it. I eat it for a few days then I need to take a break. for a few days.
I feel if I can make my own starter and ferment it for 7 days that would be the best!! Just started my own starter hoping to make sourdough pizza crust. I will report back when I am done.

Also I just purchased some white flour form Italy. Going to give that a try also. I will up date later.

Please don't eat sour dough bread. I don't have the time right now, but there is reputable info about it. There is still gluten in the bread. And flour is flour....

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#37 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

I agree. If there was no gluten in sourdough it wouldn't have that typical springy bread texture.  There's gluten in it. Don't be fooled.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: