31 replies to this topic

#31 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I am glad you had such a wonderful trip but here's a suggestion.......go ahead and eat wheat again as you have not been diagnosed with celiac. But keep in mind that you did have symptoms that resolved on the gluten-free diet. After 3 months, go and have a celiac panel done.
See if your symptoms return. That way, you can enjoy your wheat but still make an attempt to see if you have the disease because if you do, you are going to want to know.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 the2glutes

the2glutes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

The same thing just happened to my wife and me. We were in Barcelona and Sicily for nearly a month. We had been experiencing what we recently discovered to be typical gluten- sensitivity symptoms (headaches, fibromyalgia-like pains, brain fog, gastrointestinal problems). When we were traveling we had not realized the connection and ate pizza, bread, pasta with no effect. In fact, we were pleased that the symptoms had gone away. Occasionally, I'd feel a twinge of pain when eating a LOT more bread products than usual but nothing like what we felt at home. When we returned, the symptoms redeveloped, and we ultimately had an "Aha!" moment that it must be gluten. We removed gluten from our diet, and the symptoms have vanished. Again, like other posters here, we don't know what the difference is with wheat in both Barcelona and Sicily versus both Canada and the US where we've experienced problems. We did a lot more walking and were highly active there as opposed to sitting all the time at home. At home we eat organic all the time as well. Interestingly, our gluten sensitivity also seems related to chemical exposures, as in visits to malls or box stores that waft chemical odors from synthetic products. We try to avoid these at home but probably had even less exposure in Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: