#1 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi

I think I may be corn intolerant as well as (currently suspected) celiac.

Does anyone have any advice?

Most of the meds I have checked seem to have either maize starch or maltitol.

Help??
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

Ah yes, medicine and corn. :angry:

The only pain reliever I have ever found that does not contain corn (or gluten of course) is BC Asperin Powder. If you can't find it locally, you can get it online.

Unfortunately for me, I am salicylate sensitive and can't take asperin. So I have Tylenol made at a conpounding pharmacy. I have to have ALL of my meds made. The Tylenol costs $36 for 200 capsules. Everything else is really expensive too. And in my state (maybe in all states) you have to have a prescription to have even over-the-counter meds made. I get my prescriptions at the local free clinic so I don't have to pay for a doctor's office visit just because I have a headache!

The GOOD news though is that after 14 months of gluten-free, corn-free, soy-free and low salicylate, my gut finally healed enough that I can now tolerate corn starch, and that is the filler used in most pills and capsules. So when I run out of this last batch of Tylenol I am going to buy some at the store and see if I can tolerate it.

I hope you will be able to do the same eventually.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks so much.

I will have to have a check with my local pharmacies. This disease aint cheap!!

Good luck with the Tylenol. I am secretly hoping to be able to eat fresh corn again one day, as it seems to be mostly processed corn I struggle with.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

...I am secretly hoping to be able to eat fresh corn again one day, as it seems to be mostly processed corn I struggle with.

You know, if you react to procesed corn but regular corn seems mostly okay, you might want to check out sulfite sensitivity/allergy as a possible alternative. Processed corn (except corn meal/corn masa) is processed using a sulfited bath, so processed corn ends up being sulfited. Sulfite sensitive folks often react to it.

But regular corn doesn't go through this process, so unprocessed corn is typically okay for sulfite sensitive folks. Corn meal is often tricky, as in processed foods, there is often an oil that can make sulfite sensitive folks react. :-/

Here's a nice site that has more information, if you're interested:
http://holdthesulfites.com/

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thanks T.H.

I had been wondering about something like this, nice site.

On with the great celiac journey...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: