3 replies to this topic

#1 dws

dws

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

I've been eating mountains of rice since becoming gluten-free about 7 years ago. Anyone else concerned about what's been in the news lately about arsenic levels in rice? I started suffering the return of gut issues about 2 years after going gluten free and have been eating non-processed foods because I thought the problem might be cross-contamination. I have felt better, but not completely well. Still unexplained bouts with diarrhea. Nothing too major or long term, just the occasional blow out. Is it possible that a low level arsenic overconsumption could be causing gut symptoms. Nausea and diarrhea are symptoms of serious arsenic poisoning. I wonder if too much arsenic in food would cause gut symptoms without other symptoms showing up first. The web sites I checked all seem to concentrate on the symptoms of severe arsenic poisoning. Have any of you been looking into this issue? If rice consumption is a problem, it is a big concern for the gluten-free community.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

I was hoping to stick to organic when i do eat it, however, walmart didn't have any soooooooo >.>

At any rate, its already in our water. As long as its in moderation, i don't think it could hurt you. But still.

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Organic won't matter if it's being grown in soil contaminated over 100 years ago which is what the problem is. The problem is specific to rice grown in areas where cotton was previously grown. Simply know where your rice is from and buy from a different area of the US or buy from out of country.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Or, since only certain brands/products have been found to have elevated levels, so far, just avoid them?

http://www.consumerr...index.htm#chart

http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm319870.htm

Makes me happy I like and can eat corn/quinoa pasta....and am low/ish grain, though rice is probably one of my top grains.

And as far as arsenic in water, I do have an r/o system which helps remove arsenic and other things. So that helps.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: