Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

London Gluten Free And Vegetarian

6 posts in this topic

Hey all

So I'm headed back to the UK in just over a week. yay!

We're only in London for 1 night, but would love to go somewhere nice for dinner with good gluten free and vegetarian options (gluten-free for me, veg for him). One possibility is Mildred, but if anyone knows a nice, reasonably priced place in central London, let me know.

Also, any good places to grab a snack/lunch for the train? (aside from Pret-a-Manger, that was a godsend the last time)

We'll be in the town of Lewes for 2 nights (pubbing, mostly), and the self-catering for 3, so I'll be hitting the grocery stores for gluten-free goodies, including jaffa cakes! and that nice bread I had last time.

Cheers!

Peg

Ads by Google:

I can't think of specific restaurants anymore, (we were there summer before last) but we were able to eat gluten free pretty easily. It sounds like your husband is not gluten free, so I would imagine it would be fairly easy to eat gluteny veg meals. We had a lot of luck at Indian restaurants. There was one in Earl's Court but I can't recall the name. I don't know my London geography very well either so I'm not sure if that's central. We had luck in the pubs getting fish or steak with potatoes of some kind (baked or chips) But I don't know about options for your husband in the pubs.

As far as the trains, some of the stations had a Marks and Spence shop where my daughter and I could buy packs of just meat and fruit/veggies. I think the idea was to build your own sandwich but we just didn't buy the bread. My husband ate food off a cart and he got food poisoning...and my daughter and I were pretty much fine the whole trip.

It sort of sounds like you know what to do. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Hm, I just looked up the veggie restaurant I used to go to and it has closed.

I left London quite recently and I think you should be ok. Most places have a decent range of veggie options.

All the big supermarkets have gluten-free stuff.

Pret a Manger good, Marks and Spencer, plus Tesco and Sainsburys around central London.

Try the coeliac uk website and number. The gluten-free book of products they have is amazing. You guys would kill for one. You can also see their crossed grain symbol which approved products have. Loads of other products are fine too. There are restaurant listings, but you may need to be a member. Not needed for 1 night but useful for a longer trip.

Just read you will be self catering too.

Warburtons now do gluten-free bread and rolls, pretty good. Doves Farm do ingredients. I like their pasta, especially the brown rice one. Both brands sold in (larger) supermarkets and heathfood stores.

Just watch out, both brands also do gluteny stuff!!

Lewes is lovely,and not far from the coast.

Have a wonderful trip :)

Thanks guys. I'm sure we'll both be just fine (no harder than here, certainly), but wanted to see if anyone had an idea off the top of their heads.

I found foods were much better labeled in the UK than here, and restaurants seem to be more up on their gluten-free knowledge. Never had a problem.

What will be really hard to avoid is butter and cheese, but with a steady regimen of digestive enzymes, I think I'll survive.

Thanks!

Peg

Firstly - take me with you please!

I'm not sure how many there are but hommus brothers did gluten free the last time I was there. It wasn't anything fancy, but an option, Also alot of places offered jacket potato. La Tasca which is a tapas chain also offered gluten-free. Although I'm not sure about butter/cheese free. Also I'm not super sensitive so if a bit of gluten got in I wouldn't get sick.