#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hey all

So I'm headed back to the UK in just over a week. yay!
We're only in London for 1 night, but would love to go somewhere nice for dinner with good gluten free and vegetarian options (gluten-free for me, veg for him). One possibility is Mildred, but if anyone knows a nice, reasonably priced place in central London, let me know.

Also, any good places to grab a snack/lunch for the train? (aside from Pret-a-Manger, that was a godsend the last time)

We'll be in the town of Lewes for 2 nights (pubbing, mostly), and the self-catering for 3, so I'll be hitting the grocery stores for gluten-free goodies, including jaffa cakes! and that nice bread I had last time.

Cheers!
Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I can't think of specific restaurants anymore, (we were there summer before last) but we were able to eat gluten free pretty easily. It sounds like your husband is not gluten free, so I would imagine it would be fairly easy to eat gluteny veg meals. We had a lot of luck at Indian restaurants. There was one in Earl's Court but I can't recall the name. I don't know my London geography very well either so I'm not sure if that's central. We had luck in the pubs getting fish or steak with potatoes of some kind (baked or chips) But I don't know about options for your husband in the pubs.

As far as the trains, some of the stations had a Marks and Spence shop where my daughter and I could buy packs of just meat and fruit/veggies. I think the idea was to build your own sandwich but we just didn't buy the bread. My husband ate food off a cart and he got food poisoning...and my daughter and I were pretty much fine the whole trip.

It sort of sounds like you know what to do. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hm, I just looked up the veggie restaurant I used to go to and it has closed.

I left London quite recently and I think you should be ok. Most places have a decent range of veggie options.

All the big supermarkets have gluten-free stuff.

Pret a Manger good, Marks and Spencer, plus Tesco and Sainsburys around central London.

Try the coeliac uk website and number. The gluten-free book of products they have is amazing. You guys would kill for one. You can also see their crossed grain symbol which approved products have. Loads of other products are fine too. There are restaurant listings, but you may need to be a member. Not needed for 1 night but useful for a longer trip.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Just read you will be self catering too.

Warburtons now do gluten-free bread and rolls, pretty good. Doves Farm do ingredients. I like their pasta, especially the brown rice one. Both brands sold in (larger) supermarkets and heathfood stores.

Just watch out, both brands also do gluteny stuff!!

Lewes is lovely,and not far from the coast.

Have a wonderful trip :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks guys. I'm sure we'll both be just fine (no harder than here, certainly), but wanted to see if anyone had an idea off the top of their heads.
I found foods were much better labeled in the UK than here, and restaurants seem to be more up on their gluten-free knowledge. Never had a problem.
What will be really hard to avoid is butter and cheese, but with a steady regimen of digestive enzymes, I think I'll survive.

Thanks!
Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#6 Saz

Saz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Firstly - take me with you please!

I'm not sure how many there are but hommus brothers did gluten free the last time I was there. It wasn't anything fancy, but an option, Also alot of places offered jacket potato. La Tasca which is a tapas chain also offered gluten-free. Although I'm not sure about butter/cheese free. Also I'm not super sensitive so if a bit of gluten got in I wouldn't get sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: