This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Craving Protein Like A Maniac :(

wormholehead

wormholehead Newbie

Hi. I've recently had to give up gluten after finally figuring out what was causing my health issues. Though I love the fact that my hideous dyshidrotic eczema and edema have gone away, and my stomach is much more stable, and I'm slowly losing weight, I am frustrated with the insane protein cravings I've been having. I don't really like meat all that much, but nuts are not satisfying the craving and sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy and just eat everything in sight...anyone else have this and/or suggestions on how to cope? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

fish, shellfish, peanut butter, almond butter, cheese of all kinds, beans, white bean chili,.hummus, yogurt and protein shakes helped me. Eggs (I cannot have those--but they are a good idea, too)

I loves me some protein!

eers03 Explorer

Irish--what are you throwing into those protein shakes?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Meat is one of my best foods.  That is good since dairy is completely out.  There are a lot of varieties to chose from.  Since I didn't tolerate much that I was eating, I tried some new ones.  This included duck, bison, yak, lamb, and elk.  I have poached eggs every day for breakfast.  They were one of the few foods that I tolerated from the first!

My doctor told me to have 3-6 oz of protein for every meal three times a day.  I wouldn't be shy on the protein.  Of coarse if one had too much protein the body couldn't process it all.

Make sure to get some good fat (butter, olive oil, or coconut oil) and that will help fill you up.

D

emilykay405 Rookie

Quinoa is good too. Make sure you're getting a complete protein. So combine grains with legumes or nuts. There are only a few options for complete protein grains for vegetarians; quinoa, buckwheat, hemp seed, and soybeans. Most dairy gives complete protein, too. I like throwing some chia seeds in my greek yogurt to bulk it up a bit. It took a while for me to get used to greek yogurt...but it's got more protein per oz than regular. Protein shakes are my favorite way to get extra protein. I prefer any protein over whey, it just has a funky taste to me. Soy, pea, hemp, and egg are some of the options available. My breakfast every morning is an 12oz combo of vanilla/chocolate milk, Vi-Shape mix (no product plug...just go by your taste there are tons out there and if you're replacing a meal you do need a 'meal replacement' mix), scoop of soy protein and about 4oz of cold press coffee.

I also agree with 1desperateladysaved, have protein at every meal. Chances are you're probably craving it all the time because you're not getting enough. This is the first one I found on google: Open Original Shared Link

shadowicewolf Proficient

One of my favorite things to do when i'm wanting protien is to have an apple with some peanut butter and some sliced cheeder cheese on the side.

GF Lover Rising Star

After finding out I had low protein levels I took to eating peanut butter, plain peanut butter.  You can usually find me with a Jar of Skippy and a spoon :)  And yes, If I don't have some for a couple days, I crave it!

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

After finding out I had low protein levels I took to eating peanut butter, plain peanut butter.  You can usually find me with a Jar of Skippy and a spoon :)  And yes, If I don't have some for a couple days, I crave it!

Colleen

I've done that before.... :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Irish--what are you throwing into those protein shakes?

I used the Rainbow Light protein powder for a while.(allergen-free and vegan for those who wish that)

I have added all sorts of veggies (i like to chop up kale and freeze it and add a handful) , fruits (banana, pineapple, berries of all kinds are my faves) a cup of  coconut  milk or almond milk and sometimes, plain greek yogurt.

I add  TBLS. of nut butter and/or and I am a big fan of chia seeds and/or ground flaxseed meal.

I like my shake with a muffin or granola cookie bar (I make my own, if you want the recipe)

and to the OP: 

Hon, I  know you said you do not like meat, but trust me, while recovering, meat likes you!! :) 

Lean Protein = muscle.

cahill Collaborator

and to the OP: 

Hon, I  know you said you do not like meat, but trust me, while recovering, meat likes you!! :)

Very true.

OP,

I was vegan/vegetarian most of my adult life untill celiacs decided to have it's way with me .It was very difficult

to go from vegan to paleo but it was what my body needed to heal .

For awhile ( I was pretty ill)  meat,rice and a few vegetables was it for me.As I healed I was able to expand my diet .

For me ,,some meats  are of limits (chicken being one ) but  meat/protien  is still  eaten at very meal/snack .

• 3 weeks later...
NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Hi. I've recently had to give up gluten after finally figuring out what was causing my health issues. Though I love the fact that my hideous dyshidrotic eczema and edema have gone away, and my stomach is much more stable, and I'm slowly losing weight, I am frustrated with the insane protein cravings I've been having. I don't really like meat all that much, but nuts are not satisfying the craving and sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy and just eat everything in sight...anyone else have this and/or suggestions on how to cope? Thanks!

I start every morning with Whey Protein - I use the Designer Whey brand, French Vanilla flavor (available from the Vitamin Shoppe and some Target stores).  It is very low sugar, no added "crap" in it, and whey is often even tolerated by dairy-intolerant people.  It kick-starts the metabolism and really sticks with me - keeping various cravings at bay for most of the day.  The Designer Whey is 18 grams of protein per serving - which is enough to be substantial, but not so much that you can't digest it in one serving.

Archived