This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

moosemalibu

moosemalibu Collaborator

So I have noticed that I have a few swollen lymph nodes popping up on my body. First I noticed my inguinal lymph node and then I noticed a lingual lymph node. Have others had this phenomena? Does it go away? I found this AFTER a gluten-free diet change... I feel like I am having more symptoms now than pre-diagnosis. Is this normal after going on a gluten-free diet?

I am fatigued, still having diarrhea, bruising, insomnia, and now lymph node enlargement...sigh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Lymph node enlargement means your body is actively fighting something.  Usually a few enlarged nodes do not mean anything by itself.  I will also say that in my experience, when my nodes enlarge, it is my immune system telling me I'm sick.  It is then up to me to figure out what is triggering my immune system. 

Since you are diagnosed celiac, lymph node enlargement in you may be saying that you are still getting some amount of gluten which is triggering your immune system.  I would look at possible hidden gluten.

All the best.

Colleen

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Me too.  I had some problem with something I ate two weeks ago and feel a lot of nodes.  My practitioner and I are also considering whether a progesterone cream, with some of my allergens caused my issues,.  I was hoping applying it topical would work alright.  Meanwhile, I have never had it this bad, or at least I think I haven't.  I think my body is able to protest louder than ever since I am healing.

Jumping on the tramp is supposed to help.  What it did for me is make me feel more pressure in the nodes.  Sometimes things feel worse before better.

D

GF Lover Rising Star

Diana,

I'm assuming that jumping on a trampoline would help drain the lymph fluid? Is this what your saying?  I would suggest that this may in fact irritate the nodes more. 

The appropriate way to stimulate drainage of lymph nodes is to lightly massage the effected area in the direction toward the two main nodes which are located above the belly button and the top of the chest. 

Colleen

Diana,

I'm assuming that jumping on a trampoline would help drain the lymph fluid? Is this what your saying?  I would suggest that this may in fact irritate the nodes more. 

The appropriate way to stimulate drainage of lymph nodes is to lightly massage the effected area in the direction toward the two main nodes which are located above the belly button and the top of the chest. 

Colleen

Diana,

Colleen

Yeah, perhaps it is a better preventative than cure. 

D

I am sure I heard the information from this party.  http://www.reboundair.com/?gclid=CKfe5qnX8bkCFYwWMgodJW8A8g I also heard it from a gymnastic coach that coached Us Olympic trampoline team.

Nevertheless, I did get better, I think I got to the root and it wasn't a need to exercise.

moosemalibu Collaborator

I know I got glutened via Jose Cuervo margarita mixer during my camping trip several weeks ago (I'm 99% sure anyway as they do not list it as gluten-free on their website, whereas other items are listed gluten-free).

But other than that one incident I cannot see how I could be getting glutened. I am not saying it is impossible. But I have been going through all my day-to-day items I cook with or vitamins,etc. and I cannot find one that is suspect. I see my GI doc next week so if it's not better by then I'll ask him.  I haven't gotten any flu-like symptoms to make me think I just got a regular cold/flu either.

Thanks for your replies!

kareng Grand Master

I am sure I heard the information from this party.  http://www.reboundair.com/?gclid=CKfe5qnX8bkCFYwWMgodJW8A8g I also heard it from a gymnastic coach that coached Us Olympic trampoline team.

That is a website that sells trampolines. I wouldn't take medical advice from them.  :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

Went to the doctor to figure out the painful swollen lump under the chin. Told me it should subside in 2 weeks and if not to return for follow up and possible ultrasound. Potential swollen lymph node or salivary gland.

moosemalibu Collaborator

Going back in because lump is making it painful to swallow and move my head from side to side and up and down. Has really enlarged and changed the silhouette of my jawline! Crossing fingers.

Oh, wow!  I hope you will resolve this well and soon.

D

kareng Grand Master

Going back in because lump is making it painful to swallow and move my head from side to side and up and down. Has really enlarged and changed the silhouette of my jawline! Crossing fingers.

Yuck!  Did they drain it? 

moosemalibu Collaborator

Yuck!  Did they drain it? 

No - it is very firm. They said it could be a cyst or abscess but I have a pending CBC, chemistry, and they did an ultrasound yesterday so I will hopefully know what it is Monday. I hate waiting. I don't think it is related to the Celiacs but it is alarming none the less. I feel like a monster with this thing on my face! 

• 1 year later...
Kati.o.rose Newbie

I know your lymph node issues was over a year ago, but did you ever find anything more out, about what caused it, etc? And are you doing okay? :) I have an u/s on Friday morning for a similar issue and was hoping to have a possible heads up. Thank you for any expiriences you may have to share.

SMRI Collaborator

Again, I know old post, but Mumps are going around the country so just be aware it could be that.  I had a salivary stone in a gland and oh boy does that hurt!  It was under my jaw to the right of my trachea.  Try massaging the gland from your ear toward your trachea and see if you get saliva out-often with a funky metallic taste.

• 1 year later...
CELIAC SINCE 2011 Newbie

After being glutened over 1 week ago, I've quickly noticed swollen lymph nodes under my left arm pit and on the left side of my groin area as well.  I have been using hibiclens religiously and it has been going down, plus I have been preparing my own gluten free meals.  I do believe there is a correlation between the two.  I have a call into my doctor to get his opinion on this as well.  I will keep you posted. 

• 4 years later...
Laudia Newbie
On 9/28/2013 at 8:12 AM, moosemalibu said:

So I have noticed that I have a few swollen lymph nodes popping up on my body. First I noticed my inguinal lymph node and then I noticed a lingual lymph node. Have others had this phenomena? Does it go away? I found this AFTER a gluten-free diet change... I feel like I am having more symptoms now than pre-diagnosis. Is this normal after going on a gluten-free diet?

I am fatigued, still having diarrhea, bruising, insomnia, and now lymph node enlargement...sigh

I too have the exact same, although the bruising seem to be much less. 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hi @Laudia, welcome to the forum! The topic you replied to here is quite old, so you may not get replies from the original posters.

Are you on a gluten-free diet? Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease? If so, it can take up to two years for many of the symptoms to reside.