Rate this topic

I am looking at this bag of prunes as I was interested in trying 1 or 2 and seeing how that goes, but the ingredients list, Sulphites which I know is fine and is just a preservative, but it also contains potassium sorbate which has been proven to have some negative side effects, I just can't find out in what amount is it a health risk, if I ate the prune and had a problem would I be able to say okay yeah it's just prunes, or would I have to worry about the Potassium sorbate causing issues.

Well, there are two things here.  Prunes are well known to help you out to go poop since they contain soluble and insoluble fiber.  They also naturally contain sorbitol which some people may not be able to handle.  So, if you ate some and aren't used to it, and didn't need the help, they can cause irregularities.  (By the way, prunes are dried plums, so if you like plums and raisins, you will like prunes).  

If you are worried about the preservative, you can buy organic prunes, and there is this brand which I buy that has no preservatives, you do have to refrigerate it after opening: http://www.sunsweetdnoir.com/ . They also seem to taste better since they are their premium product. 

lol yeah I'm familiar with what prunes do that's why I am taking them, the sorbitol could be an issue yeah but I was more just concerned with this non organic brand's use of  potassium sorbate, you have the right idea with those sun sweet brand, I just didn't see any organic prunes around here :/

but thanks for the response!