Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vickiguerra

Prozac...generic Fluoxetine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No.

I am not a doctor, but celiac disease and depression are linked. I experienced a bit of anxiety before I was diagnosed. I guess being anemic, in the last year before menopause and thyroid swings made me bit crazy! But that has since resolved after going gluten free. Anemia gone, made it through menopause without surgery, and the thyroid....stable for a while, but a little off again.

Perhaps you might feel better too? Talk to your doctor and do some research.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

No.

I am not a doctor, but celiac disease and depression are linked. I experienced a bit of anxiety before I was diagnosed. I guess being anemic, in the last year before menopause and thyroid swings made me bit crazy! But that has since resolved after going gluten free. Anemia gone, made it through menopause without surgery, and the thyroid....stable for a while, but a little off again.

Perhaps you might feel better too? Talk to your doctor and do some research.

Is fluoxetine, 20 mg tablet by Teva gluten free.  I got the normal run around by the company.  Appreciate any info.

Join eNewsletter

Most companies will not say a medication is gluten-free.  The standard answer of "There are no gluten ingredients in it but we cannot guarantee there is not and we don't test the finished product", is because pharmaceutical companies don't routinely test for gluten so they are covering their hiney with that statement.  Cross-contamination is not going to be an issue, because as they don't want other medications in the next batch, they have very stringent manufacturing practices in place to prevent that.  There also are not a lot of medications that do contain gluten.

Bottom line: As long as there isn't a gluten-containing ingredient in a prescription drug, you are good to go.  

Helpful Links: http://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/gluten-medication/#6fZdcHbS3huqElSR.99

And a great place to look up ingredients in medications(put manufacturer name in label author box):  http://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/pillimage/search.php

Per that website, the Teva 20mg fluoxetine has corn starch specified, and no other suspect ingredients.  gluten-free.  Just like any product, information can change over time so I like to re-verify my pills yearly, and calling manufacturer is the best source of information.  But remember, they will usually not claim a drug is gluten-free, and will include the CYA statement.  Don't let it scare you off from taking a necessary medication.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Most companies will not say a medication is gluten-free.  The standard answer of "There are no gluten ingredients in it but we cannot guarantee there is not and we don't test the finished product", is because pharmaceutical companies don't routinely test for gluten so they are covering their hiney with that statement.  Cross-contamination is not going to be an issue, because as they don't want other medications in the next batch, they have very stringent manufacturing practices in place to prevent that.  There also are not a lot of medications that do contain gluten.

Bottom line: As long as there isn't a gluten-containing ingredient in a prescription drug, you are good to go.  

Helpful Links: http://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/gluten-medication/#6fZdcHbS3huqElSR.99

And a great place to look up ingredients in medications(put manufacturer name in label author box):  http://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/pillimage/search.php

Per that website, the Teva 20mg fluoxetine has corn starch specified, and no other suspect ingredients.  gluten-free.  Just like any product, information can change over time so I like to re-verify my pills yearly, and calling manufacturer is the best source of information.  But remember, they will usually not claim a drug is gluten-free, and will include the CYA statement.  Don't let it scare you off from taking a necessary medication.

Thank you very much for the info.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter