Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Hannahrae1217

Test results are confusing

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Were you eating gluten every day for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the endoscopy? How many biopsies did the doc take? You should have a minimum of 6.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

I don't know how old you are or if you have kids or what. If you're past child bearing & don't have any kids then I could say just go gluten free & don't look back but if you have kids or plan on having them, they will need testing every 2 years or sooner if symptoms present. it is MUCH easier to get them tested if you have an official dx. Soooooooooooo go to another GI & get another endoscopy UNLESS, UNLESS, UNLESS your primary care doc is willing to give you an official dx. If the primary will give you an official dx then go gluten free -- that's what i would do. Ask the primary care doc is he/she is willing to do that and explain why.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Ditto what Squirmingitch said!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

My daughter had an upper endoscopy in Feb and came back inconclusive.  She had another one last week, and just found out today it was positive.  I was told that if you have beginning stages of celiac, it will not show on an endoscopy, there needs to be more damage in order for them to correctly diagnose Celiac.  Anyway, I am glad we finally have a definite answer and we can move on from this.

Join eNewsletter

My endoscopy was also inconclusive however I had been gluten free for five years.  The doctor then told me the only way to know for sure is with a genetic test and symptoms.  My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac five years before and told me to get off gluten as i had all the symptoms.  She also took the genetic test with two markers for Celiac.  Because I have osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and an auto immune disease, I early on assumed I had Celiac and easily went completely gluten free.  I have had five joint replacements do to loss of cartilage so staying off gluten will not help with osteoarthritis but it had been great at increasing my endurance.  It took about one year off gluten for me to get the full benefit but it has been great so I will never go back to eating gluten.    Do other doctors really put much confidence in the blood tests or endoscopies?  Have you run into other doctors that prefer to rely in a genetic test?   

Join eNewsletter