Bailey55

How to get tested for celiac

Rate this topic

Hi! I am just wondering what I should ask of my doctor to get tested for celiac, I want to make sure it's the best option (I see there are different ways)...what tests and steps will give the best result??

I've always felt I was celiac from my symptoms, I had been tested previously however I wasn't eating gluten at the time and had only started a week (maybe if that) before the test...the results were negative (but I knew that wasn't correct)... Fast forward a couple years and I just found out my biological mother and aunt are celiac..anyways any help would be appreciated I just want to be prepared for my apt..I've also been eating gluten for sometime a month or more, I'm from Canada I'm not sure that it matters for testing but just in case...thanks everyone!!!

Here are the tests:

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA 
-total serum IgA and IgG (control tests)

Note:

-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

VERY IMPORTANT:  Keep eating gluten daily until ALL testing is complete or the tests can be inaccurate.  For blood tests consume gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks.  The endoscopy requires 2 to 4 weeks. 

(Source: NVSMOM -- ?)

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!