Justine123

Someone trying to help

Rate this topic

I have been Diagnosed with celiacs since May and it has been a roller coaster of a time. My boyfriend who is my best friend is so very supportive and will sometimes only eat gluten free food with me. He tries really hard at restaurants and makes sure that i am as comfortable a I can be! I am so thankful for him being so good with this when I am still in shock and coping because no one in my family has this. But something happened the other night that kind of upset me.

We went out to eat at a nice restaurant and he told the waiter that we were both celiacs so be careful of the cross contamination, it bugged me that he claimed to be celiacs, because I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I don't know why is bugged me so much that he said that. Does anyone have any experience with that? or have any advice? 

Some times my hub eats gluten-free, too, so we can share or I can at least taste his.  He probably just wanted to be sure the waiter took it seriously.  Depending on the restaurant, sometimes it is safer if your whole table orders gluten-free - less chance of confusion in a busy kitchen.  If he is drinking beer, he usually just explains that it's so I can have some of each meal.   Why not ask him?  

His intentions were probably good, but pretending to be celiac can cause a lot of damage for those of us who really are celiac.  Non-celiacs make exceptions and aren't that cautious about having a total gluten-free meal which creates the impression that it really isn't that important.  The "a little bit won't hurt" impression is very destructive.   Waiters get the impression that people who request special attention for their food are just fussy/aggravating customers who exaggerate their problem or who are following a fad diet.

It's always a good idea to touch base with the Manager when you enter the restaurant because his instructions to the waiter and kitchen will carry weight.  Speak up for yourself -- tell the waiter that you have a medical condition -- celiac -- and that you can get very sick if there is even a small amount of gluten in your food -- then add (with a smile) that your friend can "eat anything."  The message gets across clearly. 

I was not fully tested, by choice, and don't know if I'm Celiac, nevertheless, I have no intention of eating gluten.  I know I felt better immediately when I stopped eating it!  My husband, out of necessity, went gluten free as well and found out he didn't tolerate it when overindulging at a restaurant some months later!  Gluten is directly linked to 55 diseases!  Google it, it's very interesting.  Is it "good" for you?  Absolutely NOT!  Do some people tolerate it?  YES.  That is not to say it isn't doing damage in the background due to the Zonulin causing Leaky Gut!  Letting molecules through the barrier that weren't supposed to be there sets up all sorts of illness related to antibody production.  I guess I'm not sure why it bothers you that he said he was Celiac?  I just explain that I MUST be gluten free and leave it at that.  If they looked at me oddly, I would add that I have a medical condition, which I do!  I just chose not to do further testing after the first was inconclusive and a diet change made me feel so much better!

You could just state that  WE  are gluten free and not give any other reasons if you feel like he lied.  I'm sort of thinking that is where your guilt is.  Having bread crumbs, etc all over the table isn't going to do  YOU  any good either!  Good for him for stepping up to the plate!

Debbie

My first reaction is that he told them that so that there would be no chance of cross contamination with the preparation of his food along with yours. If you've ever worked in the restaurant biz, dishes for the same table are prepared at the same time, depending what it is, by the same person. Maybe he was just thinking of you, not trying to claim anything for some other reason.