Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Oh snap! Gluten-free diet gets the ultimate shade

Rate this topic

The Vatican ain't feeling the gluten-free bread and we agree with Pope ... However, if you suffer from Celiac disease or are gluten-intolerant or even ...

View the full article

Here's slightly more info

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40545023 but GMO's are ok? 

so people were bringing store bought bread in for communion? What about the gluten-free hosts made by the nuns? Can someone pls explain celiac to the Pope? He's a smart guy.....! 

I read the actual Vatican statement.  Nothing has changed from before. This is a clarification.

The low gluten hosts are still OK. In the Catholic Church "matter" (the stuff used for the sacrifice) matters. Not a debate about why.  So the hosts must be made from wheat, not contain sweeteners, be unleavened, and freshly made.  There are reasons for all of this, which you can look up on legitimate Catholic websites. The low gluten hosts are supposed to be under 20ppm (although I think that some are under 100ppm).  Unfortunately, some churches were using rice hosts or making their own. That was the problem. 

19 minutes ago, Feeneyja said:

I read the actual Vatican statement.  Nothing has changed from before. This is a clarification.

The low gluten hosts are still OK. In the Catholic Church "matter" (the stuff used for the sacrifice) matters. Not a debate about why.  So the hosts must be made from wheat, not contain sweeteners, be unleavened, and freshly made.  There are reasons for all of this, which you can look up on legitimate Catholic websites. The low gluten hosts are supposed to be under 20ppm (although I think that some are under 100ppm).  Unfortunately, some churches were using rice hosts or making their own. That was the problem. 

Thanks for the clarification! Made it sound like people were bringing in their own udi's bread!