Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Ennis_TX

Gluten Free Craft Beer Brewing

Rate this topic

I had a friend contact me about brewing and making his own gluten-free beer and entering it in competition. He mentioned he had a new machine, and setup kept in a different area for it. He wanted my opinion, he was planning on using sorghum malt for it as a base. IT all seemed fine to me, but I am not a huge beer person as it ALWAYS made me sick so I have always stayed away from the stuff. Anyone here have opinions I give back to him? I have the product he linked to me about it. I know he talked about using it with some special type of yeast etc. that I did not quite understand. https://www.midwestsupplies.com/sorghum-extract-syrup-maillard-malts

I know he kept talking about it, and using some other stuff in it and doing several versions, he was wondering if he could use his same recipe for other flavors he had done but using this malt instead, and making sure all other ingredients were gluten-free. Seems he was planning on changing over to all gluten-free. Guy was really enthusiastic about it, reminded me of my foodie moods and cooking. I know he went off on all kinds of tangents from spiced ones, fruity ones, bragging about using certain blends of fruits or hops to get different profiles and undertones.....I never knew it was so complex, I wanted to help but could only give feed back on gluten-free ingredients, spices, and preventing CC.

The better craft breweries don't or seldom use sorghum.  I am sure he knows this.  Its easy to find on the internet.  Sorghum gives a sweet taste to the beer.

I think redbridge has sorghum and I have never heard of someone being complimentary to redbridge.

45 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

I think redbridge has sorghum and I have never heard of someone being complimentary to redbridge.

Yes it does. It is drinkable but definately not a great beer. When I can afford to spend $8 on one bottle I get Greens. Thankfully I'm not much of a drinker. 

26 minutes ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Yes it does. It is drinkable but definately not a great beer. When I can afford to spend $8 on one bottle I get Greens. Thankfully I'm not much of a drinker. 

I agree. Thank goodness I never loved beer.