This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coeliac results

decclj

decclj Apprentice

I had a blood test it read ttg 101.6 what does this mean also it said 4.0um negative 4.10 weak positive 10 uml possitive I have had biopsy waiting on results

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

With a result that high it means you are Celiac. If your biopsy results should come back negative do the diet strictly anyway. Damage can be patchy and get missed and positive blood work trumps negative biopsy. Hope you are feeling better soon. Do be sure to read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section as that has a lot of good info on what you need to do to say safe.

decclj Apprentice

Thankyou will let you know results on the 4th of October

decclj Apprentice

I can't wait to get results on Thursday had some Bolognese today and now feel weezy and my skin is itchy

decclj Apprentice

Feeling nervous today is the day I get my biopsy results

cyclinglady Grand Master

Waiting is is hard!  Hang in there.  ?

decclj Apprentice

Feeling nervous today is the day I get myw biopsy results got my results today negative biopsy  he said maybe it is wheat and told me to go on a gluten free diet but couldn't explain why I had antibodies in my blood and such a high blood result

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

decclj Apprentice
5 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Waiting is is hard!  Hang in there.  ?

Can you have antibodies in your blood with a wheat allergy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No an allergy would not cause those antibodies to be high. The small intestine is very big and damage can be easily missed. Do get on the diet strictly and then in 6 months or so get your antibodies retested. They will likely have come down and your symptoms improved.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Ravenwoodglass.  I also understand your frustration.  ?

The actual proof  is how you may feel on the diet.  Give it a solid six months.  

decclj Apprentice

What then get another blood test will I have to be on gluten for that or just get tested

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You would not need to be back on gluten for that test as it is to see if the diet is helping bring the antibodies down. That combined with resolution of symptoms is diagnostic and some doctors will give a diagnosis based on the results despite a negative biopsy.

decclj Apprentice

Thankyou for all your help

decclj Apprentice

Can't wait to get gluten free things today can't put up with another night like last night

ravenwoodglass Mentor
9 minutes ago, decclj said:

Can't wait to get gluten free things today can't put up with another night like last night

Try and stick with as much whole unprocessed food as you can for now. Veggies, fruits, potatoes, rice, meats and fish etc will help to aid healing. After you are feeling better for a bit than go add in gluten free treats and convience foods. If you haven't been much of a cook before ask and look at the recipe section for ideas. Best to avoid or limit dairy until you have healed and personally I would also avoid soy as those two items are common intolerances for many of us. Add them in when you have been feeing better to make sure you are tolerating. I hope you are feeling better soon but don't get discouraged if you have some ups and downs. Be sure you have checked the Newbie 101 thread as it has a lot of good advice to help keep you safe.

decclj Apprentice

Feeling a lot better this week more energy thankyou for all help

cyclinglady Grand Master

So glad that you are already feeling better!  

• 2 weeks later...
decclj Apprentice

Feeling a lot better this week more energy thankyou for all help .must of eaten something with wheat in as had a bad night Thursday . doctor has referred me to a dietitian does any body know how long you have to wait to see dietitian on the nhs

decclj Apprentice

Does anybody know how long to see a dietitian on the nhs

will4318 Apprentice
55 minutes ago, decclj said:

Does anybody know how long to see a dietitian on the nhs

I saw one last year and had to wait about a month I think. 

decclj Apprentice

Thankyou

decclj Apprentice

Does anybody have trouble with chicken I did was up all night feeling sick

cyclinglady Grand Master

No, but I might suspect the herbs used to season it.  I have a garlic intolerance that has never resolved.  I once became very ill after consuming copious amounts of delicious gluten-free fried chicken that was garlic free and I made it!   I think sheer gluttony got me.  How was the chicken prepared?  Did you purchase wrapped in the store or was it in a meat case near “stuffed” pork chops that the butcher prepared?   

decclj Apprentice

I brought it all wrapped up from Sainsbury's it was free range

cyclinglady Grand Master

My guess is that the chicken was okay unless you recently developed an intolerance to poultry (unlikely).    Was it packaged in the store or at the factory?   What do you eat with it?  What did you consume during the day or prior day?  Often it can take a while for antibodies to build up.  Not everyone reacts instantly.  

You said you thought you were glutened last week.  If I were glutened, I can expect to have abdominal pain digesting anything, even safe foods for weeks.  As soon as any food hits my small intestine, the pain starts and ends when it exits the small intestine.  I always feel fine in the morning and dread having to start eating.  I eat soft easy-to-digest foods like soups and stews.  It can take a month for me to digest without pain after a glutening.

When a celiac gets glutened, the reaction does not resolve within a day or so.  No, the body flares-up and the reaction can last for days or weeks (everyone with celiac disease reacts a bit differently).   Does that make sense?  

You could still be reacting to your exposure from last week which is already adding fuel to the fire (your TTG was a 100 when you were diagnosed a month ago) and is still probably elevated (decreasing but not normal).  

Give it more time.  The diet has a steep learning curve and healing does take months and months, if not a year.  

Archived