Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
3 3
BuddhaBar

Could my gallbladder pains be related to gluten exposure?

Rate this topic

Pre-diagnosis I had gallbladder pains that would come and go. The pains were the typical and classical symptoms of gallstones: right sided pains, sometimes sharp, sometimes dull, worse after a meal and radiated to my back and right shoulder. Had an ultrasound done and... nothing. My gallbladder looked completely normal. No stones, no inflammation, no swelling. Just a little sludge, but not enough to cause my symptoms.
Those pains subsided after I went gluten free and eventually they disappeared completely. Until now.
This Christmas I suspect I got glutened TWICE. Small amounts both times. Probably glucose syrup made from wheat. Afterall, I am one of those Celiacs who can't even handle traces of gluten. Got my regular symptoms. Some D, but nothing serious. 2 days of stomach ache, burping, reflux, some neuropathy, dizziness, insomnia and feeling depressed. No doubt I got glutened. Now I'm almost back to normal, but that gallbladder pain is still haunting me. If had another ultrasound done now I'm sure nothing would show up just like the last time.
Could gluten affect the function of my gallbladder in some way? Not causing anything visible, but affect its ability to function so the symptoms mimic those of gallstones?

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Now I will answer my own question: yes, its gluten. 

I made an ultrasound appointment and now my gallbladder hasn't been painful for 2 days and its too late to cancel the appointment so now I will pay for nothing. Hopefully the doctor is handsome so I will get something for the money. This is my life in a nutshell. 

This topic made me wonder how many celiacs have had their gallbladder removed only to discover that their problems were really caused by gluten and celiac disease and/or gluten sensitivity? 

I know my mother had her gall bladder removed before her celiac diagnosis. They checked my gallbladder before I was diagnosed as well.

Given your level of sensitivity you may want to consider AN-PEP enzymes like GliadinX, as they break down trace amounts of gluten in the stomach. I use them whenever I eat outside my home, and I'm not in the super sensitive category at all.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

No pain for 3 days now. Same thing happened during the last glutening so this is connected. 
Done some research. If a person has gallstones it's not the stones itself that hurts, but the gallbladder's inability to empty normally because the stones block the bile ducts. My gallbladder symptoms mimic those of gallstones so my conclusion is that gluten for some reason, makes my gallbladder not empty normally. Exactly why is a mystery. 
Next time I will ignore this and just let it pass. I didn't have any stones this time either or any other gallbladder problem, but thankfully the ultrasound showed I had a mild fatty liver so the appointment wasn't wasted. Today I'm gonna start eating healthier (and less).

7 hours ago, BuddhaBar said:

No pain for 3 days now. Same thing happened during the last glutening so this is connected. 
Done some research. If a person has gallstones it's not the stones itself that hurts, but the gallbladder's inability to empty normally because the stones block the bile ducts. My gallbladder symptoms mimic those of gallstones so my conclusion is that gluten for some reason, makes my gallbladder not empty normally. Exactly why is a mystery. 
Next time I will ignore this and just let it pass. I didn't have any stones this time either or any other gallbladder problem, but thankfully the ultrasound showed I had a mild fatty liver so the appointment wasn't wasted. Today I'm gonna start eating healthier (and less).

Hi,

The gallbladder empties it's contents in response to a chemical signal generated by the villi in the small intestine.  If the villi are damaged and can't produce that chemical signal the gall bladder doesn't empty normally.  Can you say sludge? :)   IMHO that chemical signal being missing is the cause of many celiacs gallbladder issues.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

18 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Hi,

The gallbladder empties it's contents in response to a chemical signal generated by the villi in the small intestine.  If the villi are damaged and can't produce that chemical signal the gall bladder doesn't empty normally.  Can you say sludge? :)   IMHO that chemical signal being missing is the cause of many celiacs gallbladder issues.

Oh, that makes sense. The body is really a complicated machine. 
Sluuuuuuudge... I love that word. Sounds kinda sexy if said slowly and with Tim Curry's voice 😍