• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Guest Viola

Both Claritin and Reactine are gluten free here in Canada. I'm not sure about the US though. I do wish countries would get together on this stuff seeing as how we are so close to the border :rolleyes:

I TAKE CLARITIN D 12 HR AND THOUGHT IT WAS SAID TO BE gluten-free IN US ABOUT WONDER IF SOMEONE MENTIONED ABOUT IT HAVE CASIN??I SURE COULD BE WRONG AS WASN'T WORRIED ABOUT CASIN THEN.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I'M RIGHT OR WRONG HERE SINCE I USE IT.

THANKS JUDY

I have also confirmed that the generic Loratidine (Equate, made by Novartis) is gluten-free. I called on 3/7/2006. You can find it at Wal-mart and it is a lot cheaper than the brand name.

I have also confirmed that the generic Loratidine (Equate, made by Novartis) is gluten-free. I called on 3/7/2006. You can find it at Wal-mart and it is a lot cheaper than the brand name.

This is great to know--thanks for checking on it :) Claritan gets expensive--and the Zyrtek has a co-pay with our insurance of $45!!

Judy, Claritin (and Claritin-D) have casein. I found this out after I'd been taking it for 3 months! :o (I'm casein intolerant). It was a low enough dose to not exactly mess me up big time, but it was keeping me from feeling as well as I could. I found that most of the over the counter anti histamines have a lactose/milk-derived base. I went to People's Pharmacy and got them to make me a compound version of Claritin-D with zero extra stuff in it, just the medicine in a capsule. You will need a prescription for it though, I got one from my allergy doc.

Judy, Claritin (and Claritin-D) have casein. I found this out after I'd been taking it for 3 months! :o (I'm casein intolerant). It was a low enough dose to not exactly mess me up big time, but it was keeping me from feeling as well as I could. I found that most of the over the counter anti histamines have a lactose/milk-derived base. I went to People's Pharmacy and got them to make me a compound version of Claritin-D with zero extra stuff in it, just the medicine in a capsule. You will need a prescription for it though, I got one from my allergy doc.

thanks cornbread..i knew i learned it here..must have been you.

this maybe one of the pieces of the puzzle.

so appreciate this and how to get casin free.

judy