Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mayflowers

Why Get A Biopsy?

We also had a rare experience with a very with-it GP. My dad has had celiac symptoms for years, and he recently had inconclusive blood test results. When he questioned his family doc about having a biopsy, the doc said, "your intestinal tract is twenty-two feet long. Chances are excellent that tiny samples taken from it, even if there are many, will not show damage. There's just too much there to get a full picture". And he proceeded to recommend the gluten-free diet as a diagnostic. Why aren't there more of them like that? :)

Guest nini

Vincent, I LOVE your explanation! That's brilliant!

My personal opinion is that the biopsy is too risky, when you can simply TRY the gluten-free diet and see if it helps. You don't have to commit to it permanently if it doesn't help you, but give it a good effort, at least six months. It does NOT have to be expensive, in fact the way I do the diet for me and my daughter, our grocery bill is actually cheaper. I buy very few of the specialty products, but the ones I do buy, I portion them out and freeze things so that they last a lot longer.

Ok, so the biopsy can only confirm IF positive. The diet doesn't have to be expensive, you don't have to commit to it permanently IF IT DOESN'T HELP. But if it does help, you've saved yourself from a costly and potentially risky surgical procedure. You don't need a Dr.s permission to go gluten-free. If you do not have a diagnosis of Celiac on your permanent record, you won't have to worry about being denied health insurance because of a pre existing condition (and before anyone says "oh that doesn't happen, IT HAPPENED TO ME.) Don't trust me. Trust yourself.

I'm dealing with this very question right now, and I've found the conversation in this thread to be very helpful. Thanks :D

The positive labs were enough for me, but I have a family history of colon, stomach, and intestinal cancer (coincidence...I think not). Anyway, because of the family history and years of chronic illness, I went ahead with the endoscopy/colonoscopy for my own peace of mind. In the meantime, I'm having my 4 year old tested with Enterolab and will NOT allow an endoscopy for him regardless of the results.

I don't recommend biopsies because they can rule celiac in but not out. The only reason to get a biopsy would be possibly to see how much if any damage has occured so far into it.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I have used Bio-K.  It is certified gluten-free and was recommended by my now retired doctor.  It can be found at my local health food store market.   https://www.biokplus.com/en_us/products  
    Hi all, Does anyone know of or wish to start a support group in Bergen County, NJ?  Or are there any members in Bergen Co who would just like to get together now and then and support each other in person?  
    I have also had hallucinations.  Not very many.  But decades ago, during my teenage years (horribly sick but had not been diagnosed with Celiac so I was actively eating gluten all day every day), I hallucinated once or twice.  I never told an...