This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Puking Child... Whats Best Move? Brat?

VydorScope

TCA Contributor

Hope he's feeling better soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

he did not nap very well. Hoping he sleep well tonight. He ketp everything down, but everythign is 1-2 bananas, some popsilces and fakorade. Thats bout all he had. Not had any more puking or ditry diapers at all.

He si a sleep now though

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I hope he's feeling better and that you are getting some sleep! I think it's okay that he has no dirty diapers, but I do hope he has wet diapers--important that he stays hydrated!

VydorScope Proficient

Hoping tommorow goes well cause he has a Cubbies meeting after dinner. Kristi gonna stay home with him from church, I have to go because I am teaching this week, otherwise I would have stayed and sent her so that she could sing in the choir. :huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

Hope he sleeps well tonight :)

NoGluGirl Contributor
Glad to hear the fever is going down and he's feeling better....Its not fun for anyone when the kids get sick...My whole family has a nasty cold right now...ugh!!! :(

Dear Jules,

Sorry to hear you are all suffering! Colds are miserable! I still would take them anyday over the stomach flu! If I could go my entire life without catching a communicable disease, that is what I would pick! Poor little fella, Timmy. I take L. Acidophillus to protect me against bacteria and for viruses, particularly a cold virus or flu virus, I take Sambucol. It is black elderberry extract. It has corn syrup, but if you or your family members are not allergic to it, you could take it. This stuff boosts immunity up to 300 percent! Even if you contract a cold, it will be over in a week, instead of getting that nagging cough afterward and suffering for three weeks like my parents did last time!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl :lol:

VydorScope Proficient

Son still has liquid stools, though not as bad, not puking any more, but not much of an atteptite, he is eating just not much. He does not show any dyhdartion symptons, but he does have the sniffiles.

Any thoughts? I know I am sick with a cold or somthing, but I think my stools are fine, guess I need get a diaper on to find out :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Sounds like a virus :(

That's pretty typical--starting out with stomach upset, vomiting and D--then moving into more of a cold. Is he still feverish? The only thing that I'd worry about would be his ears--sometimes Matt (my younger son) would get symptoms like this, and it would turn out to be an ear infection. He was a kid who didn't get the terrible pain, so we had to watch his symptoms carefully.

AndreaB Contributor
I know I am sick with a cold or somthing, but I think my stools are fine, guess I need get a diaper on to find out :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Add more food as he can handle and don't worry too much. Keep an eye on him and see if his temp stays down or spikes again.

VydorScope Proficient

Nope no fever. That seemed to have gone away after teh first day or so.

He ahs tubes in his ears so he should be okay on that point.

So basicly let him eat as he wants, and just wait it out? How long you think?

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Yep, keep him hydrated and let him eat what he wants when he wants. He'll be up and raring to go any day now.

AndreaB Contributor

Uuummm, if he wants to eat a candy and junk food diet I wouldn't recommend that. j/k I know he wouldn't do that. Make sure he takes something at every meal. With he eat broth? What has he been eating. Fruit is generally easy on the stomach as well as broth. Does his tummy hurt at all or just the general malaise and he doens't have much of an appetite. Whenever my kids go through this the really depressed appetite usually doesn't last more than two days and then they'll start picking up a bit. Put different foods in front of him and let him eat the quantity his stomach is asking for. If the really depressed appetite continues for a coupld more days you may want to consider taking him in. On the other hand, if he doesn't spike a fever again you may want to wait a little bit longer. Contact your ped/doc to see how many days they would want him to go before being seen.

Try to add more foods to create a variety, depending on his stomach. Broth with some meat and veggies, fruit, smoothies, applesauce (I know that's a fruit :P ).

jerseyangel Proficient
Nope no fever. That seemed to have gone away after teh first day or so.

He ahs tubes in his ears so he should be okay on that point.

So basicly let him eat as he wants, and just wait it out? How long you think?

Yea--that's about all you can do at this point. Go with his appetite, make sure he gets his liquids and this thing should run it's course pretty soon. :)

Cereal is usually a good bet at this point: Dora cereal, or gluten-free rice krispies. I can't remember--can he handle casein? If he can. skim milke might be easier on him than the high-fat stuff. If not, Vance's Dari-Free or gluten-free rice milk would probably be easier on the tummy than soy.

key Contributor

Tubes can get plugged. My son has tubes and he has an ear infection right now. This is only his second one in a year with tubes. He didn't puke this time, but he has in the past several times. If he is fussy, he could still have one. I am sure you would probably know, but just wanted you to know that they can still get plugged off.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient

Well he slept pretty good last night, fell alseep prbly an hour early so I think thats a good sign. Stools still not quite normal this am. About on avg how long do these things take to run thier course? Week? Month? Year? Century? :huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Vincent,

I was wondering how the little guy was doing.

My kids, if I remember correctly, usually felt a lot better in a week or so. Maybe not completely back to normal, but significantly better.

Not to be a pest, but if it gets toward a week, and he's still not doing much better, it might be a good idea to just have his ears looked at--better safe than sorry. Then, if it's just a stubborn virus, you'll rest peacefully. :)

Girl Ninja Newbie

I'd say that depends on each kid. My little brother stayed sick for 5 days or more when something knocked him down. My son is almost always better in 3 days no matter what he's dealing with.

I agree with GirlNinja--my kids are usually better in 12-24 hours, but every now and then, there'll be a particular vicious virus that knock'em flat for 3-5 days.

I don't know anything about ear tubes, but I did read in the paper yesterday that the medical community is FINALLY realizing that recurrent ear infections are not usually bacterial and don't usually need antibiotics. Apparently they had to do a big study before they would believe it.

The daughter of one of my friends had recurrent ear infections that my friend was finally able to trace to--no, not gluten, but CASEIN. The only other symptom she had was dark circle under the eyes, which her doctor said was a tip-off that a food allergy or intolerance might be going on.

Anyway, I'd push the broth if he'll drink it, with rice noodles in it if that will help, and maybe something like roast chicken? High protein and iron! If he doesn't have a problem with soy, stir-fried tofu with rice is easy to digest. Will he eat grilled salmon? Salmon is VERY easy to digest, and high in those Omega 3's and 6's.

Keep us posted! Hope he feels better. Hope you don't get it. Hope you are getting some sleep!

VydorScope Proficient

As for the tubes... we did try antibotics first, and they had no effect at all.. he almost lost his hearing, permenantly. The tubs saved him from that, bearly in time. I know they can get clog, and we have them check ever time we are in a doc's office and so fat so good... last check what his 3 year check up, in mid August.

Sorry, Vincent, I didn't mean to imply that medical intervention is never necessary! When it is necessary, we are lucky to have it!

I have another friend whose daughter is deaf in one ear. They have no idea what caused it or when it happened. . It wasn't picked up until she was in second grade.

I'm glad your little guy's hearing is okay!

Archived