This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate Makes Me Depressed!

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

Every time I have chocolate, I get depressed the next day. This happens whether it's milk or soya chocolate, but not really with dark chocolate. It's always the next day. It doesn't happen when I eat other dairy stuff eg cheese/ milk so I don't think it's that. And how come I'm OK with dark choc? (except that I'm not cos dark choc gives me headaches - just not depression).

Hmph :angry:

What is the point of a comfort food if it makes me depressed? :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

covsooze Enthusiast

just bumping this up, wondering why it's disppeared ??

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. I hope you can find a new comfort food that equals the deliciousness of chocolate... :huh:

Courtney

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Susie--

I just pinned your post so it won't dissappear again! :D

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about you and chocolate :( Interesting that it dosen't happen so much with the dark--I never liked dark chocolate until I had to give up dairy. Now, I really love it.

Simply-V Newbie
Every time I have chocolate, I get depressed the next day. This happens whether it's milk or soya chocolate, but not really with dark chocolate. It's always the next day. It doesn't happen when I eat other dairy stuff eg cheese/ milk so I don't think it's that. And how come I'm OK with dark choc? (except that I'm not cos dark choc gives me headaches - just not depression).

Hmph :angry:

What is the point of a comfort food if it makes me depressed? :rolleyes:

Honestly it sounds like you're allergic to chocolate. Dark chocolate is usually more concentrated cocoa bean. So you end up getting more actual chocolate in your system, which bounces your body up to a headache level of reaction rather than taking care of it more silently leaving you with a depression aftermath.

Your body is trying to tell you to stop eating it. If you can't give up chocolate, and want to think its something else in the chocolate. I'd recommend heating 1/2 cup water to boiling, adding 2 heaping tablespoons of Hershey's baking cocoa (& 2 tsp sugar if you want). Mix throughly. Add more cooler water so its drinkable, and drink it. If you get a headache or depressed the next day, its the cocoa itself.

flagbabyds Collaborator

You probably do have an allergy to chocolate cause that is really the only way that you could explain that or it could be lactose and just chocolate has the right amont of lactose in it to bother you.

That really really really sucks to be allergic to chocolate I think i would die,

I hope you feel better soon!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Chocolate has always given me problems. I don't get depressed, but I can get emotionally unstable, such as laughing so hard that I have to cry to stop, or crying for no good reason; that sort of thing. I can get really giddy or really weepy -- then it goes away. I figured it out in high school, so haven't had much of it since.

However, lately I've been having one tiny mouthful of chocolate every night after dinner. I mean that bar lasts 2 weeks, that's how small the bites are. I get the joy of the chocolate w/o the side effects.

My Ayurvedic doctor (from India) told me not to each chocolate...and I'm sure it's like all things -- not good for EVERYONE - how could anything be.

Have you tried tea lattes? Hazlenut milk with some black tea and nutmeg and cinamon (which I've never been able to spell)? It hits the spot, and is choco free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

I'm allergic to chocolate and it's the same family as cola (which I dont like anyway, but just so you are aware). i use carob in baking and as hot carob drink as a replacement.

• 9 years later...
tmarshl Newbie

I have been a highly sensitive celiac patient for over 30 years, and I recently determined that chocolate gives me brain fog and depression the day after ingesting.  Just another type of food that I have to strike off of my list.  I imagine that since I have to be absolutely precise in eliminating any gluten that I can do the same for chocolate (although I loved it).  It reminded me that before I was diagnosed as a celiac, I was addicted to gluten.  I could clean out the breadbasket at a restaurant before the entre' was delivered.

GFinDC Veteran

Welcome tmarshl,

You might want to try carob powder as a replacement for chocolate.  It is not exactly the same taste but somewhat similar.  Most mass produced chocolate has soy and milk in it anyway.  Both are top 8 allergens.

SLLRunner Enthusiast

I agree with GFinDC, carob powder is delicious! I purchase Chatfield's carob powder, the only ingredient being natural ground carob powder.  I have chocolate sometimes but like to limit it because of the caffeine.

Archived