Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

penguin

The Great Gluten-free Green Bean Casserole Experiment

I managed a reasonable facsimile to green bean casserole!

Sure, it required a half hour of peeling and slicing pearl onions...I also used health valley cream of mushroom soup and thickened it, but I think next time I'll make it from scratch using a roux from Annalise Roberts' flour blend.

Anyway:

1 lb. Fresh pearl onions, peeled and sliced ~1/8 inch thick

Canola oil for deep frying, heated to ~325

1 c. Flour blend of choice (I use Annalise Roberts')

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. garlic salt

1 tsp. pepper or lemon pepper

1 tsp. onion powder

Dredge the freshly sliced onions in the flour, and fry small batches for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. You'll get right around 2 cups out of this, and you really don't need to have a wet ingredient to stick the flour to the onion.

From there, you would need 1 1/2 cups of condensed-thickness mushroom soup. You can add rice flour or cornstarch to canned gluten-free soup, or make your own using a standard roux (which I'll post later, cause I don't feel like it now.) From there you just follow the recipe on the side of the can :)

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Awesome! Good work!!! I'm sure many people will be thankful for your efforts :) I'm gonna have to give this a try!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Thanks Chelsea. This sounds good. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I made a version with the Health Valley soup but I didn't like the flavor so last week I used Progresso Creamy mush. soup and thickened with a roux of gluten-free flour/butter. It was better than what I used to make with Campbell's soup. My DH who never really liked any green bean casserole, seemed to like the new improved dish as much as I did.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06