This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cornstarch?

purplemom

purplemom Apprentice

Hi-

Are all brands of cornstarch safe? Any I should look out for (stay away from)? I'm thinking about the gravy on Thanksgiving!!

Thanks

Cali

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Corn starch is safe. It is gluten free. If you have a problem with corn as some do, then it is not.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I was informed that corn starch can have gluten in it. Same as spices they use it to keep it from clumping. I was told that the Argo brand corn starch is ok.

Lisa Mentor
I was informed that corn starch can have gluten in it. Same as spices they use it to keep it from clumping. I was told that the Argo brand corn starch is ok.

The best source, is the information listed on the ingredient label.

Pulled out of the pantry is Rumford, Naturals Corn Starch, lists........"made from genetically modified corn."

By law, if wheat is in the caking agent it is required to list it as "wheat". I find it unlikely that corn starch would have an anti-caking ingredient.

I hope this was helpful. :)

happygirl Collaborator

Lisa's assessment is correct.

Also, the FDA mandates labeling laws, beyond just the 8 main allergens. If something is 100% pure, then it just says "Cornstarch" (Or, "SUGAR" or, "ROSEMARY") and can say it on the front, etc. It doesn't have to specifically say

Ingredients: Cornstarch.

But, once another ingredient is added, then they have to list them all, specifically. So, pure spices (made in America) have to be pure. Now, that may have been different years ago, which is how these things get passed around. but now, if it only says "Thyme," it is mandated to be Thyme.

here is the link to the fda: Open Original Shared Link

Ingredient Labeling

Ingredient declaration is required on all foods that have more than one ingredient.

• 5 years later...
nwoebcke Newbie

I'm amazed that people still believe that wheat flour HAS to be listed in the ingredients list. The FDA is clear on this that wheat flour does NOT need to be listed even if it is used as an ingredient because of the Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) principle. In the eyes of the FDA, gluten is not a serious-enough allergen to warrant that all cases of gluten contamination during the manufacture of a food product has to been declared on the ingredients list. This is what celiacs have to put up with until the law is changed.

Right now the label 'gluten free' is a unregulated label and is more of a form of advertising than a guarantee (see BP Oil disaster for examples of companies policing themselves to guarantee safety at the cost of profits). The only thing celiacs have to be sure is trial and error and the reputation of the company that CLAIMS to be selling gluten-free products.

Scott Adams Grand Master

References? Yes, wheat must be disclosed on the ingredient label if it is an ingredient. Please do not make wild claims without evidence to back them up.

Take care,

Scott

I'm amazed that people still believe that wheat flour HAS to be listed in the ingredients list. The FDA is clear on this that wheat flour does NOT need to be listed even if it is used as an ingredient because of the Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) principle. In the eyes of the FDA, gluten is not a serious-enough allergen to warrant that all cases of gluten contamination during the manufacture of a food product has to been declared on the ingredients list. This is what celiacs have to put up with until the law is changed.

Right now the label 'gluten free' is a unregulated label and is more of a form of advertising than a guarantee (see BP Oil disaster for examples of companies policing themselves to guarantee safety at the cost of profits). The only thing celiacs have to be sure is trial and error and the reputation of the company that CLAIMS to be selling gluten-free products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nwoebcke Newbie

References? Yes, wheat must be disclosed on the ingredient label if it is an ingredient. Please do not make wild claims without evidence to back them up.

Take care,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Here is another person who also knows about the FDA's recognition as gluten being generally safe and therefore does not need to be listed in the ingredients: Open Original Shared Link . I usually don't make 'wild claims'. I am just pointing out that our federal government does not require companies to list gluten as an ingredient if that company does not want to. This is something that all celiacs should be aware of.

Best Regards,

Nick

sa1937 Community Regular

And Stop Killing My Kids backs up your claim ????

Disclaimer:

StopKillingMyKids.com is a marketing and advertising agency only. The products and services discussed on this Website are for educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein are those of the respective authors and are not necessarily the opinions of the site owner. Consult with a physician before use or discontinued use of any products listed on the site if you have a serious medical condition or use prescription medications. A Doctor

psawyer Proficient

It may have once been true, but the federal Food Allergy Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) requires wheat to be disclosed, using the word "wheat," for all foods packaged on or after January 1, 2006. That's not just an FDA regulation--it is an Act of Congress.

nwoebcke Newbie

Here is the FDA's actual electronic document stating explicitly that gluten is Generally Recognized As Safe: Open Original Shared Link .

As far as GRAS is concerned, from what I read in this document, there are no limits placed on the amount of gluten that can be present in any food substance. However, the FDA does not state whether it is required for a manufacturer to list a GRAS ingredient that may have been added to the cornstarch through cross-contamination. Since gluten is a GRAS substance and the manufacturer of the cornstarch may have gluten cross-contamination issues when manufacturing, then the manufacturer is not required to be concerned about the amount of gluten that may have come in contact with the cornstarch.

I believe that some new labeling laws will be in effect that state whether the manufacturer also processes wheat or gluten ingredients that are a known allergen. I have seen these labels on some foods, but I don't believe that this is a requirement yet.

Best Regards,

Nick

Archived