Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nantzie

Slurred Speech

I don't know where it came from, but right now I've got somewhat slurred speech (my tongue isn't cooperating), difficulting finding the right words, spacey head, maybe a headache coming on, and I'm itchy. I'm also having the spasms in my back that feel like sharp spikes. The spasms are so bad that when it hits me it makes me jump and gasp. They only last a second, but they just surprise me out of nowhere.

I haven't had the slurred speech thing for the longest time. If I'm remembering right, I haven't had it since before I went gluten-free over a year ago.

It's weird because I'm not having my other normal glutening symptoms. They might show up tomorrow, for all I know, but this isn't my normal symptom complex. BUT, these are some of the things I dealt with every day before going gluten-free that went away completely after going gluten-free. So I know it's gluten-related. Considering the itchiness, I know I should probably see an allergist to see if I've got an actual wheat allergy too.

I usually get anxiety when I get glutened and I don't have any at all. I'm a little irritated at the symptoms I'm having, but not worried or stressed or freaked out.

I have noticed that depending on the gluten source (wheat vs barley for example) I'll get somewhat different reactions. Has anyone else noticed that?

And while we're at it, anyone else with these type of symptoms like slurred speech and pain?

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

Maybe you should go see your Dr and get checked out / or even to the ER if it doesn't improve soon.

This could be something completely else from gluten.... the back pain could be something different; kidney stones or kidney infection (I can quickly think of) - which doesn't always have classic symptoms. Particularly given the slurred speech and different from usual symptoms (maybe an infection)... Do you have any fever? Dizziness? Anything else?

Do you have someone with you? Hope you feel better soon.

S

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

Thanks for being concerned about me. :) My husband is here. Another cause is definitely something to keep in mind. I'll go to the doctor if it doesn't go away in the next day or so. My brain-foggy issues are already improving. I'm just up in the middle of the night because my son woke up from teething.

No fever, dizziness or any other signs of infection. The back pain isn't kidney or bladder - ish. Definitely muscle spasms.

This whole mess of symptoms I got tonight was really my daily life for almost three years before going gluten-free, other than the slurred speech that was just the last couple months. The back pain was so bad back then that I had a hard time walking most days. Then two days of gluten-free - Poof! All gone.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Hi Nancy,

Yep--I get problems speaking also. Not so much slurred, but it's like my tongue gets in the way, and I just can't get certain words out.

I was glutened about 2 weeks ago. It hadn't happened in quite some time, and I honestly don't know what got me. I only had D once, and was nauseous for the rest of the day. The thing was, I also had trouble talking (and thinking), too.

A day or so later, it was all gone. It seems my symptoms are changing somewhat.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Like Jersey angel just said....

What I gave found is after going gluten-free and becoming more sensitive I get similar things all neuro-based for no apparent reason

What I think is that we have different thresholds for GI symptoms and neuro symptoms, perhaps in some people the GI is first and in others the neuro??? For me if I get a tiny CC I sometimes skip the GI symptoms or they are very very mild and short but the brain fog and mood regulation gets messed up as does motor control etc.

Typically one pointer for me is speaking French which although I'm OK always represents an effort for me and I go from my usual bad accented French to not being able to make a whole sentence. My English suffers to but not to the same extent, I'm just short or get tongue tied ...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

I don't know where it came from, but right now I've got somewhat slurred speech (my tongue isn't cooperating), difficulting finding the right words, spacey head, maybe a headache coming on, and I'm itchy. I'm also having the spasms in my back that feel like sharp spikes. The spasms are so bad that when it hits me it makes me jump and gasp. They only last a second, but they just surprise me out of nowhere.

I haven't had the slurred speech thing for the longest time. If I'm remembering right, I haven't had it since before I went gluten-free over a year ago.

It's weird because I'm not having my other normal glutening symptoms. They might show up tomorrow, for all I know, but this isn't my normal symptom complex. BUT, these are some of the things I dealt with every day before going gluten-free that went away completely after going gluten-free. So I know it's gluten-related. Considering the itchiness, I know I should probably see an allergist to see if I've got an actual wheat allergy too.

I usually get anxiety when I get glutened and I don't have any at all. I'm a little irritated at the symptoms I'm having, but not worried or stressed or freaked out.

I have noticed that depending on the gluten source (wheat vs barley for example) I'll get somewhat different reactions. Has anyone else noticed that?

And while we're at it, anyone else with these type of symptoms like slurred speech and pain?

Nancy

Hi Nancy, all of the above. I have multiple allergies in addition and attributed the back pain to one of my meds, Singulair, I think? It only happens on one side...go figure.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Nancy

I just have a second to post. We're selling our house and some people are coming over to look at it. So I've got to leave for a few hours.

Just didn't want anyone to get worried if you don't hear from me. I'm feeling better, thank goodness. Slurring mostly gone. Back spasms much less.

I'll post again later.

Nancy

~Chinese Proverb

I'm glad there are other people with the slurred speech thing. I thought I remembered that coming up at some point, but couldn't remember. It's just kind of disconcerting.

By the time my slurred speech symptom started back before I went gluten-free, I had done enough trial and error on the gluten-free diet to know that it was gluten-related. I was waiting forever for all my testing to be done. So on the days I had a bunch of stuff to do, I would be gluten-free just so I could get it all done. Eventually the slurred speech thing showed up (and went away on gluten-free days).

It seems to be the type of thing they warn you about as far as not cheating on the diet. Additional symptoms often show up. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me.

For the most part even my run-of-the-mill glutened symptoms aren't too bad as far as GI symptoms. I get a little bit of GI stuff, but nothing major. It's mostly the neuro, pain and mood stuff.

Nancy

~Chinese Proverb

I'm also in the mostly neuro and mood crowd...and yeah I get the slurred speech, too. Also, just like gfp said (nice to see you back btw! :)) I also sometimes only get the neuro and mood stuff and very little, or very mild gi symptoms. So maybe it was a case of a very very light glutening? Happy you're feeling better. :)

Pauliina