Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anonymousgurl

Pamela's Bread Mix

I just bought a bread machine, and I also just bought a nice bag of Pamela's baking/bread mix :) I was wondering if anyone has used her bread mix before, and if you guys have any recipes?

I was also wondering if anyone has ever replaced oil with applesauce in a bread recipe. I'm thinking of doing this, but I don't know how much applesauce to use in place up 1/4 cup oil.

Thanks everyone! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Pamela's bread mix is our absolute favorite. It's delicious as is and we've also added cinnamon and raisins to it and it's delicous that way, too. I've never tried to substitute the oil but I'd think that 1/4 cup of oil would equal 1/4 cup of applesauce.

I'm not sure which of these you've got, but I'll tell you what my family thinks of both of them.

If you're talking about "Pamela's Wheat-Free Bread Mix", we go through at least two loaves of it a week. Even my non-gluten-free husband eats it. I've even made hamburger buns out of it before.

If you're talking about "Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix" we make pancakes out of it about once a week.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

We love Pamela's Wheat Free bread mix too. It's the best I have tried, as far as mixes go.

It took me a couple of tries to get it right with my Breadman... The gluten-free setting didn't work out, and so I sent an email to Pamela's and they responded quickly with what I needed to do and even offered to send me a new bread mix to make up for the first one that didn't turn out right...

but it was still good! :P

Enjoy!

Cindy

Gluten Free since November 2006

Lactose Intolerant since 1980

100% Lactose Free since May 2006

Caffeine Free since August 2007

Hashimoto's Disease

I was reading one of my recipes and they just sub. 1/4 of unsweetened applesauce for 1/4 of oil, so I assume that for your bread recipe you can do the same thing.

This is the one I use the most also. The rolls are very good. The recipe is on the bag. Even my daughter's gluten-eating friends like the rolls.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

I was reading one of my recipes and they just sub. 1/4 of unsweetened applesauce for 1/4 of oil, so I assume that for your bread recipe you can do the same thing.

Thanks for your replies everyone! I ended up using the "egg free" recipe on the bag, and substituting the oil for 1/4 cup applesauce. It was my very first attempt at the bread machine and bread in general, so Im really excited to go test it out for breakfast! I'll let you all know how it goes.

What else do you guys make with that bread mix? Does anyone make muffins, hamurger buns? Got any recipes?

I'm totally open to ANY bread machine recipes because now that i've got it, im so excited to use it :)

IT DIDNT WORK :(

It came out too doughy and not cooked all the way through :( It smelled so good though...what torture :( ugh.

Any suggestions or advice? I put it in the bread machine and it was in there for 2 hours and 15 minutes on the white bread setting I believe...

how dissapointing. I was so excited about the idea of possibly having toast...or a SANDWICH!

IT DIDNT WORK :(

It came out too doughy and not cooked all the way through :( It smelled so good though...what torture :( ugh.

Any suggestions or advice? I put it in the bread machine and it was in there for 2 hours and 15 minutes on the white bread setting I believe...

how dissapointing. I was so excited about the idea of possibly having toast...or a SANDWICH!

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Hashimoto's auto immune disease

Diverticulosis

Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

Where do you buy Pamela's? I know of her chocolate chip cookies but I am not sure if we have seen the bread mix.

We were dx'd last spring and summer so we went and bought the Cuisanart breadmaker - it actually says for gluten free and low carb baking on the box. I used the gluten-free pantry frenchbread/pizza mix and followed the breadmaker instructions and it was great. It tasted like english muffin bread.

Good luck!!

Jacqui

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Hashimoto's auto immune disease

Diverticulosis

Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

I'm not sure what went wrong. We have a Zojirushi bread machine (and love it) and use the Pamela's bread mix without any problems. The only thing I can think of is that the setting we use takes 3 hours and 20 minutes to make a loaf of bread, which is about an hour longer than the setting you used. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm not sure what went wrong. We have a Zojirushi bread machine (and love it) and use the Pamela's bread mix without any problems. The only thing I can think of is that the setting we use takes 3 hours and 20 minutes to make a loaf of bread, which is about an hour longer than the setting you used. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Which setting do you use to make Pamela's mix in the Zo? I'm about to purchase some of these mixes from Amazon (a great price -- 6 for about $20)? I've used the quick wheat setting in the Zo for other mixes -- have you ever used this setting (about 2 hours plus) for the Pamela's mix? Thanks.