This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Suggestions For Gluten Free Camping

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

Later in the month we are taking our first camping trip since my 3 year old son was diagnosed with celiac disease. We are going to the mountains for three days. I would like to know what your favorite gluten-free camp foods are (especially kid-friendly) and if anyone has any tips for making the trip go as smoothly as possible. ;) We have a large 4 burner camp stove, so that should increase our options. I guess my real problem is what to make for dinner and also snack ideas. My son eats like crazy right now, so this trip should be very interesting!

So far I have thought of:

home made gluten-free goodies

Glutino crackers and cheese

various chips

original flavors of jerky

cereal or gluten-free pancakes for breakfast

For lunch:

Amy's mac & cheese

hot dogs

quesadilla & 7 layer dip

For dinner:

steak & risotto

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Chicken/steak kabobs(My son loves these!!!!)

Pudgie pies made with gluten free bread

Fruits

Generic Apprentice

camp fire stew..hamburger, sliced potatoes and carrots seasoned with salt, onion powder and garlic. wrap in tin foil and wet newspaper alternating layers about 4 layers (2 each) total then tuck into the coals and let cook for 2-3 hours. DELICOUS!

Last time I checked Dinty Moore beef stew is gluten free. Or you could make your own.

gluten-free pretzels

smores without the graham crackers if you can't find any gluten-free.

fresh fruit cut up.

fruit roll ups

hez Enthusiast

Last year we had bean packets over the fire. Layer gluten-free beans (we used Bush's orignal), layer of cut up hot dog (hebrew national), then toppings of choice: pineapple, green onion, peppers, additonal barbeque sauce.

We have also done tacos. Make the meat and cut up the toppings ahead of time so you just warm up the meat and assemble.

Nuts and dried fruit, vegies and dip, fresh fruit (skip the bannana, I can not get them to travel well), lunch meat and cheese roll ups.

Have a great trip.

Hez

lonewolf Collaborator

I LOVE camping!

Breakfasts: sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, pancakes, french toast, toast fried on the griddle, eggs, applesauce made from dried apple rings and maple syrup

Lunches: sandwiches made with gluten-free tortillas or bread, chips with bean dip, deli meat wrapped in lettuce leaves, all the normal "sides" - chips, carrot sticks, fruit, cookies

Dinners: hamburgers and hotdogs with baked beans, stew cooked over the fire with ground turkey (could use beef), carrots, potatoes, onions and seasoning (I pre-cook the meat and bring dried potatoes from a box of scalloped potato mix.); spaghetti, tacos, lentil soup (buy it dehydrated and then just add water and heat it over the fire)

For S'mores: bring chocolate chip cookies (I use homemade) and use these instead of graham crackers and chocolate. They're called "Cowboy S'mores" and everyone will love them.

JennyC Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

I love the idea of using chocolate chip cookies for smores!!! I bought some Jo-sef "graham crackers" but I'm sceptical because according to my son their "oreo" cookies were yucky. (I agree!)

Sweetfudge Community Regular
camp fire stew..hamburger, sliced potatoes and carrots seasoned with salt, onion powder and garlic. wrap in tin foil and wet newspaper alternating layers about 4 layers (2 each) total then tuck into the coals and let cook for 2-3 hours. DELICOUS!

My favorite camping dinner!!!

I make it easier though, by precooking everything before going-boil the veggies, fry up the meat-so that it only takes about 20 minutes to warm up :D

Sometimes I'll make these at home in the oven :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

corn tortillas right on the grill

red potatoes, butter/oil, onions in foil in coals or on grill

omlettes

apples and peanut butter

salmon burgers/hamburgers/garden burgers

Just went camping for the first time in thirty years. It was fun, except I couldn't sleep at all. Folks say that's the first night for you, and that I'll get used to it. Hope so, because we're leaving for 10 days camping in Montana in a week or so.

Archived