Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

L.A.

Call Out To The Girls

I need help. What brand name mascaras are gluten free? I look like quite the dork reading labels in the store and comparing them to my many pages of ingredients containing gluten. Also, does anyone know if Herbal Essences "Body Envy" shampoo is gluten free-the ingredients "seem" ok but I would like a 2nd opinion--thanks!

Best RX? Ice Cream!

Positive Blood Test 2000

Negative Biopsy 2000

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Others may disagree with me, but I wouldn't worry about the mascara. I'm pretty positive I've never ingested mascara.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Join eNewsletter

I use my fingers to brush out any clumps I get which means I often get mascara on my fingers. I always wash my hands afterwards, but you never know. I use gluten-free mascara just to be safe. I use Rimmel brand. Pretty sure Cover Girl is also gluten-free. Not sure on the shampoo.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Interesting... this is a topic I would never have considered. I stopped wearing ALL makeup over 10 years ago, I simply could not take the itching and burning I always experience whenever I try. (And I always bought the more expensive hypoallergenic stuff.) Even Mary Kay which is supposed to be so good for you gave me eczema all over my face. No thanks, that's even less attractive than me without makeup!

Now I am wondering if, once I get this poison out of my system, it is possible that I will stop having so many allergy symptoms to so many random things? No makeup, have to switch shampoo and deodorant brands every few months, not to mention the foods I can't eat without the bloating.

Wow, I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.

gluten-free since 2/10/08

EnteroLab results 4/18/08:

Antigliadin IgA 228 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 191 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-casein IgA antibody 127 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Guess I'm going CF now, too!

Join eNewsletter

Hi

There was a post here in the forum that said "herbal essences" is NOT gluten free . I don't remember where this post was...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

I know the Unilever products will disclose their gluten ingredients. I switched to Suave shampoo. Dove is also good about labeling.

I haven't worried about my mascara, but checked all lip balms, lip glosses, face cream, hand cream etc.

Join eNewsletter

I use Estee Lauder MagnaScopic which I confirmed was gluten-free with the company. I do worry about mascara because the eyes are lined with mucous membranes and gluten is absorbed by the mucous membranes anywhere they are on the body. The nose, the eyes, the mouth, in women the 'personal' areas, these are all areas where gluten can be absorbed into the system and go directly to the bloodstream and thus the brain. This may or may not cause GI symptoms in folks but it will keep the autoimmune process active in us.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I need help. What brand name mascaras are gluten free? I look like quite the dork reading labels in the store and comparing them to my many pages of ingredients containing gluten. Also, does anyone know if Herbal Essences "Body Envy" shampoo is gluten free-the ingredients "seem" ok but I would like a 2nd opinion--thanks!

I use Lorelle waterproof mascara. It has been fine for the past several years. I purchase a shampoo and conditioner from my hair salon that states on the labeling that it is Gluten Free. YEA!!!

Join eNewsletter

RE: Cover Girl mascara, I too read it was all suppose to be gluten-free but after reading the ingredients on many packages, I could not find one that was gluten-free. My avon rep has several gluten-free mascaras (she happened tp stop by my office while I was having my mascara crisis) so I have ordered them and will see how they work. If you google gluten-free Avon, a list of gluten-free products should come up. Thanks for all your replies ladies. L.A.

Best RX? Ice Cream!

Positive Blood Test 2000

Negative Biopsy 2000

Join eNewsletter

CLARIFICATION: I'm actually not sure on Cover Girl mascara. I thought that was the brand I've used, but it turns out I've used Maybelline instead.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter