Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhimsiKay

Nutritionist In Bellingham, Wa?

Okay, I thought I was doing so well... I feel so overwhelmed and I know that I need help to get my diet in order. I can't do it on my own, and my husband is just no good at helping with food planning. He's doing all he can to stick to the gluten-free diet we've managed to scrape together. While I'd love to say that this is something we'll work out, I don't have the time, the energy, or the know-how to figure it out without doing myself more harm in the learning curve.

I'm looking for a good dietitian or nutritionist in Bellingham, WA. If anyone has any recommendations, any at all, I'd love to hear them. Google isn't offering anything except a couple who are not taking any more clients. Or, barring that, if anyone has any great information on how to start a healthy elimination diet with something more specific than "stop eating that", that'd be great. I've always learned from example, and I'm feeling like I need that shopping list and recipe in hand before I really understand what I need to do, or how.

I feel like I'm never going to healthy, and I need to not feel this way. I need to get better mentally so that I can get better physically, but I feel very much alone and in over my head. I have to cut out all dairy, soy, and gluten, and I've managed the dairy and gluten part, but so much of my gluten-free food has soy in it! What do I do? I just want to not eat, but I can't do that, and I feel like I'm slowly starving myself anyway as my body continues to just evacuate all the stuff I'm eating. I've only been gluten-free for a few days, but I think the soy isn't helping and I just want to HEAL.

How ridiculous to be this upset over a diet change! I don't know why I'm feeling so stretched thin, I just don't know where to start. At this point, I'd rather not eat at all than to risk feeling so bad again. Help!

Goal Checklist:

100% Gluten Free Home [x]

Endoscopy [ ]

Entero Labs Gene Test [ ]

Weight Gain (current: 105lbs.) [ ]

Husband's Support [x]

Learn to Cook [x]

First House [ ]

Pregnancy [ ]

Unhealthy for 25 years. Always too skinny, always "diagnosed" by a hypochondriac mother. Pre-diagnosed by a walk-in clinic doctor April 2008 despite a negative blood-test. "Gluten-free" since then -- barring, of course, all the learning curve accidents I'm still suffering! Official diagnosis still pending.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went to Tom Malterre, who was great. I say WAS because I don't think he's taking clients. YOu could call his office to find out who he recommends. He was great because he's celiac intolerant.

I ended up not going the direction he suggested, as I turned to a grain-free diet, then mostly raw foods. But all folks are different. He had good supplements for getting healed, a good attitude about gluten, has published a great cookbook which is 99% gluten free and dairy free for the most part (can find at Coop), teaches classes/has meetings about gluten-free recipes, etc. (again, at the Co-op). I'd try to reach him.

His web address is: http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/

Sorry that the only one I know of is not taking clients. I can't tell you how excited I was that the one I picked basically out of the phone book knew all about Celiac.

Good luck. You can always PM any questions you have too - I live in Edgemoore right by the Fairhaven neighborhood. I'd be happy to help you at the Co-op as well (I love grocery shopping).

-Sherri

Is there a celiac support group in your area? That might be a big help.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt