This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross Contamination

LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I know this issue as probably been posted a million times, but I just wonder if I am sometimes becoming obbsessive with it??? I am a college student, poor, so I am unable to buy new cookware, toasters, ect,ect. I threw out my toaster I had and kept the toaster oven. I'm living with other people right now for the summer, my brother and occasionally my mom, who both consume LOTS of gluten stuff.

Here's what i did:

I took a couple of pots, cleaned them very good and put them through the dishwasher. I keep them in a seperate cupboard that isnt being used and use them only for myself and clean them with a clean sponge everytime I use them. I dont use a collander to drain my pasta, i just use the lid of the pot- cant take chances-

toaster oven: So ovbiosly this would be CC, but what i do is wrap whatever I'm cooking in double tin foil before putting it in on top of the tray (which I also cleaned and take out when finished. I always wash my hands before eating and after touching the outside of the tin foil. If I put a gluten-free bagel on top of tin foil in the toaster oven that also cooks gluten stuff it will this be ok? its not touching anything else in the toaster...I havent had a problem yet

I also have a cupboard and part of the fridge that only I use.

I just feel like I'm washing my hands all the time, I dont want to get an obbsessive compulsive disorder- LOL and I've been avoided eating out and going to family events with food (until I start feeling better). People are starting to get upset, but with the family events, I have a few people that want to cook gluten-free for me and want to make a whole menue, but I feel I need to talk to them before they do so because they dont understand CC. I mean, they want to make me stuff like cookies, but I'm pretty sure they wont buy new pans to make them. I wont even make cookies on my own pans b/c I made regular cookies on them in the past. (these are people that, when I refuse to eat chicken wings, told me just to rinse off the suace before I eat them :blink: ) There's actually a family dinner today where they are making turkey, I'm pretty sure it will be stuffed and I know they'll say "well, just take the first piece"....ummm.....yeah, it doesnt work like that since you are basting the turkey in the juce that is running out from the inside with the stuffing in it! I know I should go to be sociable and I can explain more about gluten-free, but my family is so demanding about food, they get very upset if I dont eat. and if I dont eat something they intended to be gluten-free then they'll really think I'm anorexic ha. not to mention I'm self diagnosed.

So I decided I'm going to have my own little gathering this summer and make all gluten-free food myself and invite people over, this way I can eat wiithout worry and explain how I made the stufff. I just feel like this can become so obbsessive, but I also refuse to go back to being a walking gas balloon who makes up excuses to stay home because I dont feel good and stuck on the toilet, or so bloated I cant wear normal clothes. and of course a host of other attractive problems.... :blink:

sorry, just needed another rant...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I know what you mean. It really is a big adjustment, not only for us but also for those who know us.

Some families are compassionate and really understand but I think most do not. Your idea of having your own party is a good one.

I also suggest you bring your own food that could be shared at other gatherings, just make sure you have your own bit that no one else can dip into or just put what you want on your plate first.

I have even taken my own food to a family birthday dinner at a restaurant (in tupperware), explaining I have "allergies." It worked. I felt brave but it was acceptable. This was after I had gotten so sick not doing so however from CC at another such birthday party a month previous.

For first dates I have suggested picnics or hiking and brought food for the both of us. This worked pretty well. I then have to explain. It kind of requires a more old fashioned approach. Finally, after the first date, request that he brush his teeth if he expects to get a kiss. Awkward but its OK I have found so far -- except with this one guy that has real control issues about his image, but then who wants to be with someone that is going to react like that?? And I remind them that its a lot less of a problem than with someone who has cancer or diabetes or heart disease etc. etc.

As far as your quarters go, I bet you could get a small used dorm fridge for your room through Craig's list for very little. Ditto for used books online. I have found stainless steel cooking equipment at used clothing stores etc.

I don't know about the toaster oven. That would worry me since I did get glutened from my old one even though we used aluminum foil--though the glutening wasn't hugely awful.

Am starting to take more pro-biotics which really helps against CC--and bromelain/papain caps. AS well as to just take daily with meals. Helps speed up the healing process. Seems to be working for me and research says it does so for others.

Bea

shacon-bacon Apprentice

Wow I totally feel your pain! I think you are doing a good job of avoiding the cc, I guess if it's working keep it up! I know what you mean about family and freinds they think they're so helpful. I went to my friends bbq, I asked her to ask her bf to leave some meat plain..He said sure no problem. When it came time to eat he said here's the plain chicken. I ate it and within 5 minutes I was running out of there. My friend later told another girlfriend of mine, her bf had put sauce on the chicken and then rinsed it off!!! I was floored. I hadn't been able to figure out what glutened me, then I knew.

People really have no idea the seriousness of it, or how easy it is to get cross contaminated. I swear if I hear one more person tell me to just take the bread off I'm going to go crazy!!!

home-based-mom Contributor
People really have no idea the seriousness of it, or how easy it is to get cross contaminated. I swear if I hear one more person tell me to just take the bread off I'm going to go crazy!!!

Use the dog poop analogy. Ask them if the food had dog poop on it would they just rinse/brush it off and then go ahead and eat it. Their answer will of course be no. Ask them why not. They will probably say because it would make them sick because there is no way they could be sure to get *all* of it off. The light may be coming on in their heads by this time, but drive the point home that you get much sicker from gluten than they would probably get from the dog poop.

joopie Newbie
Use the dog poop analogy. Ask them if the food had dog poop on it would they just rinse/brush it off and then go ahead and eat it. Their answer will of course be no. Ask them why not. They will probably say because it would make them sick because there is no way they could be sure to get *all* of it off. The light may be coming on in their heads by this time, but drive the point home that you get much sicker from gluten than they would probably get from the dog poop.

:D

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

haha. good points! So I talked to my mom how the family dinners went. she said they were good, but her stomach has been bothering her for a few days (nothing new, I've been trying to convince her it's gluten, shes not gluten-free like me) I said "well, GEE, it couldnt be the food, could it?" she said, "no I didnt eat that much, but I did eat a lot of turkey". My response: "well was the turkey stuffed?"....of course she said "yes".

Her cousins from italy are here for a week and made an itailan dinner tonight. I asked her how that went since she was upset I didnt go. She said it was great and that I couldve ate everything there if I went. I said "oh, really?? what was there?" she said: "they made two differant types of pasta, but it was pasta from italy" :blink:

OK stop right there, insert scream! at least thats what I wanted to do, SCREAM really loud lol. After all the explaining I've done to her and even walked her through the store showing her what i can an cannot eat, giving her numerous articles from this web site to read, she STILL doesn't get it!!! And she still asks me to go to the olive garden, even though I explained 10 million times why that is a bad idea.... AHH! her next doc appt. is in august, I keep telling her to get tested for celiacs, this will be interesting, she has all the symptoms of it, but is in denial, and still in denial about me I think....

rant over n' out :lol:

RiceGuy Collaborator

That's a great analogy! I Wish I thought of that myself! I'm definitely using it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
That's a great analogy! I Wish I thought of that myself! I'm definitely using it.

Thank you! It works well in the work place setting, too. People eat sandwiches, burritos, pastries, whatever, and touch *everything* without washing their hands. :blink: It takes a while, but they eventually start to get it! :P

Archived