This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Osteopenia At 35...argh!

RissaRoo

Gemini Experienced
I didn't say it wasn't weight bearing, I said it wasn't enough. Walking is often recommended because it's easy, it's free, and it's great cardiovascular exercise. I know plenty of people who walked for exercise for years and have osteoporosis, one in particular has kyphosis. Thanks, but I'll stick to my 30 min of hydraulic machines.

In addition, people who are overweight have a tendency to have more bone mass due to carrying around extra weight. This is part of the reason that people who are thinner and have smaller frames are at a greater risk for developing osteoporosis. And considering women peak out at bone mass around the age of 25-30, the sooner we start preserving it, the better.

I understood completely what you said but I still totally disagree with the idea that you cannot build bone without a gym membership. If osteopenia is caused by malabsorption and this condition is totally reversed with a gluten-free diet, then a combo of good supplements (preferably RX strength calcium), along with Vit. D and magnesium PLUS bio-identical hormone replacement therapy if a woman is past menopause and a good form of weight bearing exercise like walking or hiking should help gain back bone strength in most people. Pumping iron is fine also but not necessary for all of us. As a person with osteopenia who is an avid hiker, I have seen results because I have reversed the problem that has caused the bone loss. My doctor is a common sense person and agrees that what I am doing should produce good results.

Another important component is to maintain flexibility. Without that, people fall or injure themselves far more often. I have had some pretty nasty spills on hiking trails, on rocks, and yet I have never broken a bone in my life. Not everyone with weaker bones will suffer fractures but the medical profession likes to perpetuate the idea that you cannot build bone without Boniva and a gym membership. For any woman who is pre-menopausal, they still have their hormones and that is very important and helpful because you cannot build bone without estrogen....it's part of the package. So, for a younger Celiac, the whole process is a lot easier, especially if you follow a strict gluten-free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

What are some of the better supplements that we celiacs can take to get a decent ratio calcium/vitamin D/magnesium? I know I ask for a lot, I just hope I can find it all in one pill, as I am tired of taking so many supplements and pills already.

I have just started the added magnesium thing so I am not yet taking a combo. My info came from the book "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean. She has a website under her name. Maybe she would recommend a brand there.

nasalady Contributor
;o) I know...I just miss doing the menus and I do realize that I've let my Mondays get a little crazy.

Hey, I should add that Nasalady has a really great blog with menus and recipes on it...I've been relying on her some weeks lately!

Open Original Shared Link also, another blogger friend of my is doing weekly menus: Open Original Shared Link

They both post on Mondays.

Thanks Rissa! That's really sweet of you to post my blog link! :)

And Puddy's right....take care of yourself. I'm praying with you that you DON'T have refractory sprue!

JoAnn

watssup1 Newbie

I too was diagnosed with Osteopenia in my hips. I also have Celiac Disease. My doctor just told me take extra Oscal and do weight bearing exercises. Don't worry!

mushroom Proficient
I too was diagnosed with Osteopenia in my hips. I also have Celiac Disease. My doctor just told me take extra Oscal and do weight bearing exercises. Don't worry!

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked? Celiacs are often deficient in this (which leads to bone loss) so it's important to be sure you have enough.

• 11 months later...
mastiffmommy Newbie

Ok, so a few weeks ago my dr. pointed out that she thought I might have refractory sprue. She had me do a bone density test to see if there might be damage due to not absorbing minerals....I was thinking *surely* at 35 there couldn't possibly be that kind of thing going on.

I was wrong.

Dang! Osteopenia?!? At least it doesn't look like full blown osteoperosis at this point. I still don't have the full results back and am praying that it is at least not very bad. Does anyone else have this? And can I build some bone back if I start now? And what do you do when you can't have dairy and need calcium?

And advice would be great. I have half-heartedly been popping the occational calcium supplement for the last few years, But I'm guessing the Calci-Yum gummy bears ain't cutting it. Sigh.

mastiffmommy Newbie

Hey! I am with you...at 34! Hoping my Dr. can help me next week. If you have a primary who caught this that is great. You have a great head start in that you had a Dr. smart enough to order that test for you....otherwise how knows when you would have caught it! (I keep telling myself that...but it still is very lame!). Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived