This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Being Glutnened

JBaby

JBaby Enthusiast

When you have or had been glutenend accidently, how long did your symptoms last? I am going on past 24 hrs. Stilll nauseated, irritable. Belly hurt last night but it diminished. IIn credibly tired, went to work 2 hours late and lft and hour and half early. I am hungry but feel too sick to put anything inmy tummy.

JBaby

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

3 days for me. I feel ya. :( Hang in there. It will pass.

nutralady2001 Newbie

I'm on my third day atm.

I haven't been glutened for months even when out but got glutened by c/c when out on Monday night.......it's been really miserable. The D has passed but still stomach cramps and pains so another quiet day but might be able to manage some pottering around the house catching up on things like washing

caligirl2001 Newbie

At least 3 days, sometimes closer to a week. Hope you are better soon!

JBaby Enthusiast
When you have or had been glutenend accidently, how long did your symptoms last? I am going on past 24 hrs. Stilll nauseated, irritable. Belly hurt last night but it diminished. IIn credibly tired, went to work 2 hours late and lft and hour and half early. I am hungry but feel too sick to put anything inmy tummy.

JBaby

Glad I am not alone. I am feeling better. Went to bed at 7:30 last night, slept it off. Slept 11 hours. Mild headache but better than yesterday.

JBaby

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My symptoms have a definate progression. The gut issues resolve with in about 3 days but for full resolution of all the other issues takes about 3 weeks.

mysecretcurse Contributor

I react to gluten in a variety of unpleasant ways.

Gut reaction (bloating, gas, pain, constipation): about 2 days

Mental reaction (depression, anxiety, irritability): 2-3 days

Skin reaction (the WORST by far, I get big red extremely painful cystic acne/Dh(?) on my face and scalp)2-3 WEEKS and sometimes a month to go away completely. That is why I am always devstated when I get glutened, the skin reaction is bad and it leaves scars. :(

My worst reaction ever was one time I ate a lot of gluten by mistake (stupid, stupid me!). I had just started eating meat again after being veggie for 3 years and I ate a plateful of tyson chicken strips and rice. Being that I was a vegetarian before I had just assumed all non-breaded meat was gluten free. I had no idea, and God did I pay for it. I thought I was just dying or something until a day later my mom ran in and said that she found out the chicken I ate had wheat in it.

It was terrible, very bad mental issues, I couldn't even think my brain felt like mush, also it did something to my thyroid or something with my circulation, because my entire body felt like ice and I would just shiver and shiver. I had to take hot baths all throughout the day to try and stay warm. Also I broke out in the painful rash all over, it sucked. That time it took a month to go away and I will never be so careless ever ever again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emcmaster Collaborator

It depends how often I've been glutened recently. If it's been a while and I've healed from the last time, it might only last a week and after that I'll feel completely fine. If it hasn't been a while, it's about a week of really bad symptoms and then I'll have a couple bad days a week for the next several weeks before it runs its course.

loco-ladi Contributor

Chalk me out of commision for a week most times, I cant even concider going to work for at least 3 days.

rubyred Apprentice

For me it's usually at least 2 days, sometimes up to 4 or 5 depending on how much I eat. Usually, I only get glutened from CC issues so it mostly only lasts a couple days. For me, the worst is the horrible gas and D. Sometimes the gas happens within a couple hours but sometimes it doesn't show up until the next day. Then every time I eat anything, my stomach rumbles and feels unsettled and I have to rush to the bathroom (usually at least 5-6 times by lunchtime). Also, I get depressed/irritable. Sometimes I bloat and get stomach pain. Sometimes I get really tired.

Does anyone else find that their reactions tend to be slightly different each time? I don't mean reaction time, but actual symptoms that come?

samcarter Contributor

For me it seems to depend on how much I ate. I had some Rice Dream frozen dessert that, after I ate it, I realized had barley malt sweetener in it. Within a few hours I had a nasty, horrible sinus headache. I hadn't had any dairy that day, so I know that wasn't it. The headache lasted all night and this morning was gone. Since the barley malt was only an ingredient int he carob chips in the ice cream, it probably wasn't a whole lot.

But I may wake up tomorrow with horrible constipation, so who knows.

If i ate a piece of bread, I'd be vomiting within an hour, and feeling horrible for a day or two.

mysecretcurse Contributor
If i ate a piece of bread, I'd be vomiting within an hour, and feeling horrible for a day or two

Dang. I think if I ate a piece of bread I'd honestly probably die.

emcmaster Collaborator
Dang. I think if I ate a piece of bread I'd honestly probably die.

What I find perplexing is that if I actually eat a piece of bread, my reaction is only slightly more severe than if I get glutened through CC. Strange.

Archived