kimy

Is Joint Pain Associated With Celiac?

Rate this topic

Hello all, I am new here and I possibly think I might have celiac. I am being tested at the doctor tomorrow, but I have a quick question. Is joint pain associated with celiac? The reason I am asking is that I have extreme joint pain, my shoulders, hips and knees. Last night my husband and I went to a movie and I guess because I was sitting in one spot for so long I could hardly walk afterwards. We had to wait until the theater cleared out so he could help me down the stairs and it took me almost 20 minutes to get to the car. Any advice will help.

Thanks,

Kim

Hello all, I am new here and I possibly think I might have celiac. I am being tested at the doctor tomorrow, but I have a quick question. Is joint pain associated with celiac? The reason I am asking is that I have extreme joint pain, my shoulders, hips and knees. Last night my husband and I went to a movie and I guess because I was sitting in one spot for so long I could hardly walk afterwards. We had to wait until the theater cleared out so he could help me down the stairs and it took me almost 20 minutes to get to the car. Any advice will help.

Thanks,

Kim

Welcome to the forum!! :)

Yes, joint pain is often associated with celiac.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

This is from the National Institute of Health. The list is by no means exhaustive, but might help you with any other symptoms you may be having.

Hi Kim,

I'm 32 and get joint pains when I get glutened. My fingers, wrists, ankels and knees are affected as well as my shoulders. It's usually the joints and ligaments that might already be a little inflammed from exercise that are worst affected. It last about 5 days in my case then dies down.

I find fish oil to help SO much forjoint pains. I take 2-3 grams when it's bad like in the above (but always check with your doc before doing this!)

Good luck with your doc!

xx

S

Thanks,

Kim

Yes, it can be associated with celiac. It can also be associated with a whole host of other health issues. My joint pain has been attributed to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) which is a connective tissue disorder. I am treating it with high doses of Vitamin C, which is supposed to help with connective tissue health.

Michelle

I was diagnosed with pretty severe rheumatoid arthritis before I was ever diagnosed with celiac. What you describe sounds like the classic gelling up of the joints I experience when in a RA flare. Once diagnosed for celiac and treating the proper way with very strict control of a gluten-free, grains free, soy free diet as outlined in the paleo diet (similar to the SCD diet often discussed here on the board except for no dairy as well) I have found that my RA is also getting much better as a seeming result. I used to experience a gel time of up to two hours or more before I could get past the pathetic little shuffle I was reduced to at times.