Amyleigh0007

Our First Gluten Free Vacation

Rate this topic

We are staying at a condo of a dear friend and I did not want her to have to worry about cooking for us so I told her I would be bringing our food for the week. I would like to be able to bring frozen food (mac and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, fish sticks- kid friendly stuff) that can be heated up in a microwave so I don't have to worry about her pots and pans and cross contamination. Unfortunately, we have a 3 hour car ride to get to the condo! Do you think frozen food would hold up in a cooler for 3 hours? My friend said there are no specialty food stores that she knows of near the condo so I don't want to have to rely on purchasing our food when we get there.

A lot of grocery stores sell dry ice. You could add that to your cooler to make sure your food stays frozen.

Ohhhhhh! I didn't think of that. Thanks!

I make a yearly trip from TN to PA and back and I bring back frozen stuff in a cooler all the time. Our car trip usually last around 11 hrs one way. Just make sure that it is very frozen, pack it in the bottom of the cooler and place lots of icepacks, bags of ice or as the other poster stated dry ice and it should make the trip. I am usually bringing back frozen butter and frozen pork and beef so they help keep everything cold too. I have always used ice or ice packs.

PS. chicken nuggetts and that kind of stuff will thaw out more quickly than big frozen slabs of meat. You may want to line the bottom of the cooler with ice too and sandwich it between. For three hours it should make it fine.

Yes, it will keep fine. If you don't use dry ice, ordinary ice will work. Three hours is not long enough for there to be a problem. For best results, put the frozen food in the cooler, and then put the ice (dry or ordinary) on top, and then tightly close the cooler. As a veteran of many Scout camps, I can tell you that food can be kept frozen 24 to 36 hours this way. Make sure that *ONLY* stuff that is frozen goes into that cooler.