DrMom

Celiac And Diabetes

Rate this topic

I have had celiac disease for several years. NOW I am a diabetic. What the H**** can I eat???

I am having a hard time finding a cereal I can eat. I know all about the gluten free ones

How about corn flakes? I know Frosted Flakes are gluten free as that is what I chose. Now I can't eat that. Did you know a Frosty from Wendy's will jack up your sugar level!!!?

I counted one day and I now have 5 autoimmune diseases. I have become increasingly sicker since my son was killed 15 years ago. No, it is not all in my head. Blood tests, colonoscopies, etc. don't lie.

I am doing OK with oatmeal, altho it bloats me if I eat it everyday, so I am on it every other day and doing OK.

Any and ALL food suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DrMom

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes is NOT gluten free - it has malt. (Malt generally comes from barley, which has gluten, but is not a food allergen, and hence doens't need to be listed. And if oats are causing bloating, I'd avoid them (particularly contaminated ones - any that aren't grown gluten free) since 10% of celiacs have a classic celiac reaction to oats.

You can eat every meat, vegetable, fruit, gluten free grain, cheese/yogurt (if you can do dairy), nut/seed, spice out there.

Processed and starchy/sugary foods are the thing to avoid. (Frosty's, after all, are mostly sugar! They'll skyrocket your blood sugar levels.) But everything else is fair game.

You might see if you can talk to a dietitian who can help you walk through how to plan meals to moderate your carb intake and balance it with protein and fat.

Hi. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I eat pretty much all I want, but do moderate my carbs and sugar. Before going gluten free, my numbers were so high (A1C 13 1/2) that doc was going to put me on insulin. Now, I take 1 Glyburide a day tops. About every other day, my fbs goes below 65, so i only take 1/2 a tab. I've been gluten-free for 9 months, and feel better everyday. I'm no expert, but heres a sample daily menu:

Breakfast- fried egg on vege stew with small piece of flax bread or

2 pieces of gluten-free sausage, 3 slices of fried mush, and some sugar-free syrup ( the only sugsr free item I use).

Vege omelete with small bread

am snack- 1/2 banana, 1/2 other fruit. gluten-free crackers

lunch- leftovers from dinner. or

ham and cheese quaesadilla made with 2 corn totillas. or

soup loaded with veges and some crackers

pm snack- small piece of cake or pie, Or small candy bar.

Dinner- Chicken and veges in wine sauce over brown rice. or

BBQ ribs with baked pot and green bean. or

Qunoa/vege salad

Bedtime- 6-8 small crackers with cheese or PB

I think what works for me is spreading it out. My portions are small, and if I eat more than normal carbs for luch, I don't eat any at dinner. Hope this helps.

Oh great! I am learning everyday. I thought corn flakes were safe to eat and now you point out they have malt. :o I guess there is another box of cereal I have to take off my list. Rice Chex is the only one so far! :(

Oh great! I am learning everyday. I thought corn flakes were safe to eat and now you point out they have malt. :o I guess there is another box of cereal I have to take off my list. Rice Chex is the only one so far! :(

If you have a whole foods grocery or vitamin store that carries some groceries, Arrowhead Mills has Buckwheat Flakes that are gluten free, it's a good cereal. And Bakery On Main has some good granolas. I'll often pour a small bowl of Buckwheat flakes and sprinkle a little of the granola on top for texture and added flavor.

Here's a link to an article about some gluten free cereals:

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/theglute...t/a/Cereals.htm

Also, if you're a hot cereal fan (especially in cold weather), there's Pocono Cream of Buckwheat, it's like Cream of Wheat (only better AND gluten free!).

I manage diabetes with a very low-carb gluten-free diet and happen to not tolerate eggs and dairy well. Here's a sampling of what I eat on a daily basis, just so you can see some meals/foods that are both diabetes and gluten-free friendly:

Breakfast:

Carb-plain canned pumpkin warmed up with cinnamon and sometimes Earthbalance spread(you could use butter, cream, coconut milk etc.), steamed broccoli or califlower, almond meal muffins

Protein-Hormel Natural's Ham or turkey or other brand, homemade sausage patties with just plain individual spices and herbs and egg(they don't have to be homemade), broiled fish(I'll have some sautee'd zucchini mixture leftover from the previous day's dinner for my carb), bacon

I make lowcarb plain and pumpkin muffins using almond meal/flour as the only flour.

Lunch and Dinner:

Carb: steamed broccoli, califlower or asparagus, salad greens, avacado 1/2, sauteed veggies-zucchini etc., plain nuts

For the dressing I use Newman's Own Italian or homemade vinaigrette or mix Hellman's mayo with lots of ground pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little olive oil to thin, pesto and mayo combined works well too

Meat: Plain chicken breasts sauteed with a little seasoning-there are many simple seasoning blends that are gluten-free and having a variety of them on hand is a good thing for meats like chicken or fish and veggie saute's (check labels to see if they contain wheat-MCKormick's is a good brand to start with), broiled fish, Kirkland Turkey Burgers(bunless), Trident Salmon burgers(bunless), plain ground beef burgers(bunless) In place of buns you can wrap the patties in a lettuce leaf and add your favorite toppings or condiments(check condiments to see if they are gluten-free), you can also use lettuce leaves to wrap up sandwich fillings, I like this beef curry recipe

http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe002.html

and this chicken recipe

http://www.befreeforme.com/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeID=128.

Hebrew National and Boar's head franks are gluten-free. Instead of eating them with a bun, you can cut them up and fry them in a pan and dip in some BBQ sauce, catsup or mustard. or serve with sauerkraut.

Start with simple, fresh ingredients. Diabetes or not, that's the best way for anyone starting the gluten-free diet. You should never have to make a choice between food that is suitable for diabetes or gluten-free. There are plenty of choices that will take care of both sucessfully. As you learn the ropes, you can add in products as desired/tolerated.

I find a low-carb diet to be very successful in managing/stabilizing my BG. I tried the ADA way years ago but that doesn't work for me anymore. Anything that resembles a normal carb shoots me way up. I eat to my meter. If something sends me too high, I don't eat it but everyone's gotta weigh the benefits/consequences and decide what they can live with. Keep a log of what you eat, when you eat it and how much you eat. http://www.journeyforcontrol.com/journeyfo...ose_tracker.pdf

Measure your carbs in a measuring cup. If a 1/2 cup doesn't work, try a 1/4 cup next time and see. Eat plenty of protein with each meal or everytime you eat anything. That slows the digestion and slows the rate that the glucose hits your blood stream. Test, test, test. You'll soon see how your body responds to different things.

If you need anything else let us know-products, diabetes links, recipes, etc. There are quite a few of us here who have the challenge of both.

Lots of great advice here...just thought I'd add that Ewehorn makes a corn flake cereal that is unsweetened. Since they reformulated a few months ago, they are very tasty. Perky's Nutty Flax cereal is sort of like Grapenuts, and it does not contain refined sugar.

Any and ALL food suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you like to cook. The only lower-carb gluten-free packaged treat I've been really happy with are Tanka Bars.

I've gotten lots of good recipes from the Bernstein Diabetes Forum (very low carb and many of them are gluten-free friendly). Before DH gave up casein, there was a really nice pumpkin gratin recipe - fast and easy to make too!

Elana's pantry has some gluten-free and carb conscious recipes, but may need a bit of tweaking depending on your preferred carb count. Everything I've tried from that site has been good and there's a forum where you can ask questions.

If you like eggs, it is worth it to get the best quality ones you can find - farmers market, etc.

Coconut milk custard! I used to really like this back when we eating eggs.

Diced avocado splashed with red wine vinegar

lamb stew, just substitute turnips for potatoes and watch the portion size.

I use DaVinci sucralose syrups and have yet to do a lot of experimenting with the other low carb sweetners.