Aeman56

Grits?

Rate this topic

Someone gave me a gluten intolerance group flyer. My son has celiacs, I'm not really sure of the difference.

Anyway, Grits in on their safe list?

Is this true? I just figured bc it was like grains that I should stay away from that and oatmeal, ect.

Can we have grits?? Oatmeal?

(fingers crossed)

Grits are ground corn and, unless you have issues with corn, they are safe for Celiacs.

Oats are a bit different. Due to the high potential of cross contamination in the field and processing, many people with Celiac say away from oats.

You can find some "certified" gluten free oat, that are as free of contaminates as possible.

Grits are ground corn and, unless you have issues with corn, if safe for Celiacs.

Oats are a bit different. Due to the high potential of cross contamination in the field and processing, many people with Celiac say away from oats.

You can find some "certified" gluten free oat, that are as free of contaminates as possible.

Thanks so much

I don't know what kind of grits you use, but when I called Quaker about a year ago, they did not consider them gluten free due to cross contamination.

Quaker have some specific cross contamination issues with their products. While their products are not safe, I would not generalize about similar products from other manufacturers. As Lisa said, grits would be safe, except for any contamination issues in specific cases.

Sorry, maybe my wording was poor, but I was only referring to Quaker and mentioned it specifically in case that's what Aeman56 was going to use. :) I did not mean for my statement to include all brands of grits.

Does anyone know of a brand that is considered safe? I love grits and Quaker definitely causes me problems.

Does anyone know of a brand that is considered safe? I love grits and Quaker definitely causes me problems.

http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/defa...ive_page_id=145

These grits are stone ground and they are, with out a doubt, best in the world. They are are not instant grits and they take time to cook, but once you've gone here, you'll never go back :P

I cook mine with chicken broth and add havarti cheese or smoked gouda at the end, served with sauteed shrimp. Just don't get any better!!! ;):lol:

http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/defa...ive_page_id=145

These grits are stone ground and they are, with out a doubt, best in the world. They are are not instant grits and they take time to cook, but once you've gone here, you'll never go back :P

I cook mine with chicken broth and add havarti cheese or smoked gouda at the end, served with sauteed shrimp. Just don't get any better!!! ;):lol:

Yum! Shrimp and Grits.....a Southern classic! Thanks for the link and the chicken broth/gouda suggestion, Lisa! I love cheese grits!!

JoAnn

I love grits too. Bob's Red Mill came out with gluten-free certified corn grits this summer. If you can' get them locally you can order them through online.