This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Any Adverse Effects To Not Eating Wheat?

coriforia

coriforia Rookie

I've recently discovered I am gluten-intolerant, I have always struggled with allergies and anxiety and heard about the elimination diet and sure enough, I took out gluten and my allergies and anxiety are almost entirely gone. However, I am looking online to see if there are any adverse effects to taking out gluten (mainly wheat I guess)? Perhaps higher chance of a certain vitamin deficiency? Anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Most of the vitamins that are in wheat products are added during processing. It really doesn't have a lot nutrition wise to begin with. We do because of celiac have problems with vitamin levels before we are completely healed though. Many of us do supplement particularly the B's, calcium, magnesium and D. You could ask your doctor to do a panel to check your levels and to check for anemia if you haven't already.

homemaker Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this topic...I have wondered the same thing....It is a comfort to now that the Gluten Free diet is a healthy one!

I am between doctors right now and have not been tested for vitamin or mineral deficiencies as of yet...

But I intend on checking out my levels soon!

earlysu Newbie

I just had my first followup after finding out I have celiac d. four months ago. All my "levels" were greatly improved. I take Vit D, Magnesium/Zinc, Calcium and a multi vitamin (oh, and Omega 3). I feel much healthier and going gluten free changed my life (after six months of chronic diarreha). However, I've been having frequent anxiety lately, including racing heart beats. I've determined those episodes are probably not related to celiac disease, but something entirely different. I think sometimes when we have a new diagnosis, we try to blame everything on our new 'condition'. However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced an increase in anxiety or panic attacks? Mine come out of nowhere when I'm feeling just fine and I'd love to have something to blame it on.

homemaker Enthusiast
I just had my first followup after finding out I have celiac d. four months ago. All my "levels" were greatly improved. I take Vit D, Magnesium/Zinc, Calcium and a multi vitamin (oh, and Omega 3). I feel much healthier and going gluten free changed my life (after six months of chronic diarreha). However, I've been having frequent anxiety lately, including racing heart beats. I've determined those episodes are probably not related to celiac disease, but something entirely different. I think sometimes when we have a new diagnosis, we try to blame everything on our new 'condition'. However, I am wondering if anyone has experienced an increase in anxiety or panic attacks? Mine come out of nowhere when I'm feeling just fine and I'd love to have something to blame it on.

How long have you been gluten free? 4 months? I know that during the first few weeks of going gluten free, I also suffered from anxiety and irregular heartbeats etc... but I think that was due to "Gluten Withdrawal" more than anything else...I felt like I was in "detox"

you might look up gluten withdrawl....

Raven's Mum Newbie

Interesting. Raven was actually having a couple of episodes that seemed ''panic attack'' like to me. She's been gluten free for three months now. I never considered it might be a gulten withdrawl. She's on so many meds, that's usually the first place I look. lol

one more mile Contributor

I stopped eating gluten a year and a half ago. Other then withdraw the only problem that I have had is that my pants now fall off. Seems I have gone from 187 pounds to 163 ( not dieting, 5 "2' tall.)

When eating gluten I was not absorbing nutrition right and always felt like I was starving. I do eat gluten free oats now but did not add that till a year of no gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

The only adverse effects I saw were having to buy new clothes from losing 170lbs and I really hate shopping. I was an overweight celiac.

nasalady Contributor
I've recently discovered I am gluten-intolerant, I have always struggled with allergies and anxiety and heard about the elimination diet and sure enough, I took out gluten and my allergies and anxiety are almost entirely gone. However, I am looking online to see if there are any adverse effects to taking out gluten (mainly wheat I guess)? Perhaps higher chance of a certain vitamin deficiency? Anyone know?

I've been gluten free for a little over a year. At first I was using the standard replacements for wheat: rice flour, corn flour, sorghum flour, etc. But these are all grains too....and it turns out that many people on this board (including me) feel better completely grain free.

You might be interested in trying almond flour, which is MUCH more nutritious than rice or sorghum or whatever. I've recently been baking with almond flour and coconut flour (grain free) because I discovered a couple of websites with great recipes and nutrition info:

Open Original Shared Link

If you decide that you're interested in learning more about the grain-free lifestyle, there's also the Specific Carbohydrate Diet thread on this board (which is a monstrous 160 pages long!!):

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=62006

Good luck!

JoAnn

coriforia Rookie
I've been gluten free for a little over a year. At first I was using the standard replacements for wheat: rice flour, corn flour, sorghum flour, etc. But these are all grains too....and it turns out that many people on this board (including me) feel better completely grain free.

You might be interested in trying almond flour, which is MUCH more nutritious than rice or sorghum or whatever. I've recently been baking with almond flour and coconut flour (grain free) because I discovered a couple of websites with great recipes and nutrition info:

If you decide that you're interested in learning more about the grain-free lifestyle, there's also the Specific Carbohydrate Diet thread on this board (which is a monstrous 160 pages long!!):

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=62006

Good luck!

JoAnn

Unfortunately I am allergic to nuts, including almonds so almond flour is out. I did notice a post on the specific carbohydrate diet and have requested the book at the library near me. I hope to get it soon! I also tested positive for an allergen to milk and have been trying to cut that out, it really doesn't leave much to eat if I cut out grains too!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Since much of our folic acid comes from added supplementation to breads, prepared cereals, and pasta, there are studies that show some celiacs who strictly follow the gluten-free diet can be deficient in folic acid (and sometimes iron). Of course, a well rounded, healthy diet can fix that. (Folic acid is found in large quantities in leafy green vegetables, and iron in meats, vegetables, and our old standby - cast iron pans.)

AndrewNYC Explorer

Are we supposed to eat cast iron pans? How do you prepare yours?

Since much of our folic acid comes from added supplementation to breads, prepared cereals, and pasta, there are studies that show some celiacs who strictly follow the gluten-free diet can be deficient in folic acid (and sometimes iron). Of course, a well rounded, healthy diet can fix that. (Folic acid is found in large quantities in leafy green vegetables, and iron in meats, vegetables, and our old standby - cast iron pans.)
tarnalberry Community Regular
Are we supposed to eat cast iron pans? How do you prepare yours?

Lol - cooking in cast iron pans transfers some of the iron to your food. Cooking acidic foods (like tomatoes) is particularly effective at this.

Archived