GFDietitian

Gluten Free & Multiple Sclerosis?

Rate this topic

So, wondering if anyone else out there is gluten free and has a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis??

So, wondering if anyone else out there is gluten free and has a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis??

I was thought to have it for a long time but it turned out to be the celiac brain impact. All my MS symptoms resolved within a few months. The only thing that remains is balance issues, which are actually gluten ataxia, but those are still continueing to improve.

I am like Ravenwood. Most of the neurological symptoms have gone away. My balance and vertigo issues are better after almost 4 years gluten-free but balance is still a problem in some circumstances.

I was thought to have it for a long time but it turned out to be the celiac brain impact. All my MS symptoms resolved within a few months. The only thing that remains is balance issues, which are actually gluten ataxia, but those are still continueing to improve.

i am a celiac but my sister and one of her friends had been diagnosed with MS over 10 years ago. several monthes ago i came accross an article in August edition of Scientic America which mentioned how rheumatoid arthritis. diabeties 1, celiac disease and MS (all being autoimmune diseases) have "leaky gut" syndrome in common. after several monthes of badgering they were convinced to try a gluten free, legume free, dairy free diet (basically that is the diet i am on because of legume, corn, rice, potatoe, sugar, red meat, poly fats, most oils and nuts intolernces) my sister's symptons stabalized and is condsidered in remission: her friend who, because of ataxia had gone from using a cane to using a walker and getting ready to use a wheelchair now walks without a cane or walker. she has also enjoyed recovery in several other areas. her pace of recovery has been nothing less than a miracle in her own words. she has also signed up as a voluteer for the CCSVI study being conducted by the local university

I have just met some-one whose sister has MS. The sister is on a gluten free diet and is adament that it helps .

I have a friend who has MS. How do I suggest a gluten free diet without being preachy? I really would like her to try it but I don't want her to think I am pushing gluten free down her throat.

I have a friend who has MS. How do I suggest a gluten free diet without being preachy? I really would like her to try it but I don't want her to think I am pushing gluten free down her throat.

Find a good article to show her, make the suggestion, and don't talk about yourself and your gluten issues. I'm sure she'll appreciate anything that might help.

Send her the url of this website. Some forms of gluten intolerance have neurological symptoms that match MS. Some of us, myself included, no longer need a cane to walk and have regained feeling in our hands and feet after going on a gluten free diet. I didn't have the stuff in the spinal fluid but I did have brain lesions called bright spots. Never a formal diagnosis after being told I probably had it, by many doctors. Did intensive internet research, found some sites saying diet helped certain kinds of arthritis and sometimes MS, tried the diet, figuring I had nothing to lose and it wouldn't hurt.

It won't be a miracle for everybody, but consider that it is now thought that 1 out of 100 people are celiac or gluten intolerant, and the majority are undiagnosed- likely because they didn't waste away but are showing other, baffling symptoms. I think a large number of people with "fibro" and gut issues and brain fog could be likely candidates, that haven't deteriorated to ataxia and numbness yet.