beanpot

Latest Hypothyroidism Nonsense

Rate this topic

Very frustrated. Went for a long awaited appointment at the endrocrinologist's office. I have a postitive antibody test for Hashimoto's and most of the symptoms, but because my TSH level is only 4.31, she won't treat me! Why is it that endocrinologists are not following the reference ranges that their own organization set back in 2002? I don't understand it! In the meantime I feel crappy. Has anyone else run into this insanity?

Very frustrated. Went for a long awaited appointment at the endrocrinologist's office. I have a postitive antibody test for Hashimoto's and most of the symptoms, but because my TSH level is only 4.31, she won't treat me! Why is it that endocrinologists are not following the reference ranges that their own organization set back in 2002? I don't understand it! In the meantime I feel crappy. Has anyone else run into this insanity?

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this BS! It's one of the reasons I do not go to endocrinologists...they tend to make you wait until you are half dead before they treat symptoms. I go to a functional medicine MD and she has been a lifesaver for me.

Your TSH is high and out of range. Anything over 2.5 is considered hypo-thyroid, according to the more progressive doctors out there....including mine. She should also be doing a complete thyroid panel on you, which is about 5 tests, total.

TSH should be, at the very least, under 2.5 and your T3 and T4 should be in the upper, normal ranges before you notice the difference.

My advice is to dump this doctor and find another one. Are there any functional medicine doctors in your area? Many will advertise themselves as such. What were your antibody numbers and reference range for normal from the lab you used? If it was high, there is no excuse for not treating your symptoms...they will only get worse. Sometimes you have to suppress your TSH to give your thyroid a rest so it can heal. I really would avoid the endo's......they can be as clueless as GI doc's, when it comes to Celiac! <_<

The doctor should treat you. Find another one. I have to say that I have a great endocrinologist. I have been diagnosed hashimotos since 2000. My current endocrinologist has been the best one yet. My fist visit(2007) she adjusted my medication. I have always taken levothyroxine(T4)and she noted that my free T3 was low even with a good TSH. So, she put me on cytomel(T3) and it made a world of difference. Not everyone needs to take both, but she is proactive and treats my symptoms and not the numbers. She is the one who I asked to do blood testing for celiac.

find a new one! i have hypo and it definitely needs to be treated ... if she won't do it despite the obvious need than she is a poor doctor.