This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does It Ever Get Better

Maddiemo

Maddiemo Rookie

Does being gluten intolerance ever get better? If you stop eating any gluten for a long time can you get back to it one day or is this for ever?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Forever.

gena Newbie

Does being gluten intolerance ever get better? If you stop eating any gluten for a long time can you get back to it one day or is this for ever?

You do have to stick with this diet forever but it does get better! You will start to see improvements in everything, even things you thought had nothing to do with your gluten allergy! Once you learn how to make the foods you like without gluten you wont really feel like your missing out at all and you will not care that you cant go back to gluten!

luvs2eat Collaborator

AND as more people learn about us and our issues, new and better breads and things like that will come out and restaurants will "GET" it and we'll be able to do lots more stuff!

ciavyn Contributor

It does get better! Once you start feeling better, you will realize how much easier this is. I don't even want the junk food I used to eat before. I love feeling healthier, not having GI issues...I don't think I realized how much I enjoyed it until I got glutened! After three weeks of misery, I am finally back to feeling like me again. It's fantastic!

StacyA Enthusiast

Yes, it does get better. If you've been sick a long time, it may take awhile to feel better - but it's worth it. Otherwise, if you eat gluten, you'll continue the damage.

Eating gluten-free is hard and it stinks - but intestinal damage and your body attacking itself is a really bad thing.

I wasn't sick for years and years. My celiac's was only triggered last summer. Every symptom I had back then is gone - except for some diarrhea - but I think it takes awhile for the GI system to even out. I had severe abdominal pain, fatigue (I was NOT running on all my pistons), low back pain, irritabililty, and very light periods (which means something was starting to go wrong with my reproductive system - which is not good). All those symptoms are gone now. Gluten-free works. Hang in there.

Mskedi Newbie

It's almost ridiculous how much better it gets. If I weren't experiencing it myself, I wouldn't believe it.

The diet is forever, but there's no way I'd go back. Things are less and less tempting all the time, too. I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VickiLynn Newbie

It absolutely does get better! Do not give up or give in. After your body is completely healed and you are feeling like a different person you won't want to go back to all the foods that made you sick. I've been gluten free for 15 years. It took 6 years to figure it out. My diagnosis was what saved me from malnutrition. My brother was just diagnosed after only 4 weeks of symptoms. It is so much easier living gluten free in today's world, although not easy for the beginner. Try to keep a positive attitude and you will see that as each day goes by you get healthier and feel so much better. Hang in there!

kaki-clam Enthusiast

as someone who has recently gone through the "hard part" I am finally here to give encouragement to someone who is where I was 5 months ago. This is the first time in five freaking months that I have actually felt like my old self again. I never thought i would get here. post after post of complaining and symptoms and help from everyone on this site helped me get to where i am today....so, even though i never, ever, in one million years, thought i would be saying this.....IT TRULY DOES GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadian Girl Apprentice

I've been gluten free for about a month, and it's getting way easier to deal with making gluten free stuff to eat. But lately I've been absolutely exhausted. I'll sleep in until 11 somedays, then get up and do what I need to do, then by 9 pm i'm just wiped. Sooo tired. I work shifts, and the nights shifts are a killer, I feel like I will fall asleep at any moment sometimes. There are still days when I feel a little bloated or maybe just too full.. sometimes i can't tell.. so how long until all the symptoms clear? like 5 months??? :s at least there's hope!

juppygirl Newbie

It does take time - 6 months for me but then I get cross contaminated accidentally and ill again. Realised how bad I must have been feeling most of the time and wonder how i got thru.

Archived