This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Your Daily Diet?

Stylo

Stylo Rookie

Well, I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and now that I've decided to go gluten free, I'm not sure what kind of meals to have or plan for. I used to have toast for breakfast with peanut butter, a sandwhich for lunch, and dinner could be anything from pasta, pizza, chinese food, etc.

Just so I can get some new ideas for shopping tomorrow, what do you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a typical day?

I'm also trying to eat healthier so I can continue my weight loss to a healthy weight. I don't get a chance to go shopping often so perishables are often difficult but good for a few days.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

For breakfast lately its been a rice cake with peanut butter and honey or grits with a slice of velveeta cheese, and a banana. For lunch I had leftover spaghetti with meat sauce with corn noodles from dinner last night, beets from a can, fresh fruits or canned fruits,a piece of chocolate coconut cake (gluten free of course). For supper, I had sirloin tips, salad and baked potato with soft serve ice cream in a cup from our local steak house.

Wenmin

April in KC Apprentice

If you're going shopping in a typical store (not a health food store with a special gluten-free section), here are some things to look for:

Breakfast

* Chex Cereals - there are five kinds that are gluten free. They will say gluten free on the box if they are gluten free.

Lunch

* Progresso Soup - if you do a search here, you can find out which Progresso soups are gluten free. Kettle brand potato chips.

Dinner Ideas

* Chili, Mexican (McCormick taco seasoning is gluten-free, read labels to find all corn taco shells or corn tortillas), pot roast, baked potato w/toppings, any grilled meat w/ veggies

If you have a health food section in your store, you can look for Tinkyada gluten-free pasta. Or try your favorite pasta sauces over rice for a risotto type meal.

If you find Udi's bread, buy it - you won't be sorry.

runningcrazy Contributor

So today I've had:

gluten free oats with rice milk, brown sugar/cinnamon and a pear

homemade salted popcorn and an apple

sandwich on udi's bread(great bread) [hummus, tomato, spinach, cucumber, olives]

rice, stirfryed veggies[peppers, baby corn, mushrooms, brocolli] and some tempeh

If I were you I'd start with lots of fresh whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc.

Jestgar Rising Star

I eat whatever I want for all meals, and I make all my food.

Chicken soup, fish stew, chili, quiche, sweet potatoes, salads, eggs cooked however, fish with salsa, winter squash, etc.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Some common things I'll make for food:

Breakfast -

* eggs on rice cakes

* peanut butter on rice cakes

* fried rice (eggs, frozen mixed veggies, rice, and gluten-free tamari :P)

* frozen gluten-free waffles with peanut butter

* pancakes (either made that day, or batch made and frozen at home) with peanut butter

* fruit smoothie with protein powder

Lunch -

* leftovers from dinner

* tuna "sandwiches" on corn tortillas

* breakfast :P

Dinner -

* homemade chicken rice soup (really isn't hard or time consuming, depending on how you do it)

* stir-fry (LOTS of different ways to make stir-fry)

* chili

* beef stew

* roasted chicken w/ roasted veggies

* grilled meat & grilled veggies

* lemon chicken (the buca di beppo recipe)

* salmon pasta salad (gluten-free pasta, of course)

GFinDC Veteran

For breakfast a couple boiled eggs, and some peanut butter.

For lunch I had rice with veggies and beef in an Enjoy Life rice wrap with home made guacamole with boiled eggs in it. Sometimes I put salmon or other fish in the guacamole but wanted to try boiled eggs for a change. Put the rice mixture on the wrap and microwave for a minute, then add a glop of guacamole.

For dinner a big can of mixed fruit. And some more peanut butter, the natural kind that is soy free.

I also like rice cakes with peanut butter and strawberry jam for breakfast. Or corn thins (from Australia). Sometimes I make pan bread (pancakes) too.

Lots of times I'll eat some version of rice or fresh fruit. I like using a mixture or rice and quinoa. Sometimes I just eat pieces of a dead cow or a dead chicken.

I also make cookies and muffins sometimes. I found some Cuzcatlan brand rice flour in the Mexican food section of my local Giant grocery recently. Pretty cheap.

Try a search for "breakfast ideas", there are several threads about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stylo Rookie

Wow, you guys have given me lots of good ideas.

I'm someone who has relied on wheat heavily as part of my diet, and only recently have I been learning to meal plan so I eat better. Now that I'm cutting out gluten completely it's a whole new world.

I have a lot of rice, so I bought some frozen veggies I can cook with the rice, ie peppers and snap peas and spinach. I also got some frozen fruit that I can have for a snack. We bought a big box of boneless chicken breasts that I can grill or cook and take to work to eat. I also got some fresh vegtables.

Finding gluten free bread was tough, I managed to find it in the freezer section. The wheat free soy sauce was 8 bucks for a tiny bottle so that was depressing. I couldn't justify it so I'll keep looking.

I feel like I'm not scrambling to make this work now, you guys have given me some good ideas :) I've already stocked up on rice cakes and crackers for snacking too, and I have plenty of soup.

jackay Enthusiast

I want on an elimination diet and candida cleanse so have very little variety in my diet.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner consist of the following: chicken, ground turkey, olive oil, avacado, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, sea salt and almonds. I started out with just chicken, olive oil, sea salt and turnips. Every three or four days I add another food. I need to stay away from yeast, all sweeteners, all fruits and starchy vegetables.

I started this three weeks ago and am not yet sick of what I am eating. It helps knowing that I can add another food in three or four days. I know this is temporary and have the hope that some day I will be able to eat almost anything except gluten. I definitely don't miss wheat.

I can say I am starting to feel better.

MagpieWrites Rookie

Two options for the soy sauce - La Choy is gluten free (full of a ton of other assorted "schtuff", but gluten free) and while I prefer aged Tamari... sometimes a gal has to go for cheaps! Anther substitute I've found at the local health food shops is Brag's Amino Acids - I can usually get a 14 oz bottle for about $4. It's just soybeans and water - tastes like the good soy sauce and is half the price of the specially marketed gluten free stuff.

You can do this, there really ARE tons of things to eat once you start looking!

Tummy Frustration Rookie

Another breakfast idea that doesn't seem to bother me is yogurt with gluten-free granola & fruit.

Juliebove Rising Star

Gluten is not an issue for me (is for daughter) and I have other food allergies. But I will list my current breakfast. And that is pre-made polenta, cut in thin slices, topped with plain tomato sauce and nuked in the microwave. I also eat a handful of pinenuts, walnuts, pecans or pumpkin seeds for protein. Makes a nice filling meal. Sometimes I gel up some chia seeds and eat the gel for protein. I should start doing that again. They are quite filling.

Stylo Rookie

I'm starting to feel pretty confident I can manage this lifestyle. I also feel I may finally lose that stubborn weight that kept piling on the last few years. I'm now preplanning my meals, something I could never do when I was just trying to diet. I find it much easier keeping a food journal because I do have the read the labels now.

For breakfast I had two hard boiled eggs, a bit of frozen fruit with cottage cheese on top and sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon. For a snack I can have 7 rice crackers, and for lunch I have already made myself rice with veggies and chicken breast mixed in. That's 642 calories so far.

Dinner tonight with family for Easter. I'm concerned about what will be available and how to find out what I can have. With the help of my fiance we should be able to figure it out together.

I see many talking about cross contamination and I almost feel as if I'm avoiding that subject right now. I think I want to concentrate on eating gluten free for the most part. But then part of me is concerned I may not get better if I'm not careful about it.

Thanks for all your input so far!

haleym Contributor

my daily diet (I have very little variety in my diet, I know... :)

I use Kinnikinnick brown sandwich bread- nuke it for 30 sec to make it soft.

coffee

yoghurt and open sandwiches with pickles, mustard and pastrami

or eggs, corn tortilla/polenta, salsa and refried beans

last nights leftovers

coffee

apple or gluten-free granola bar

possibly som popcorn

open sandwiches/grilled cheese and some kind of soup and salad

dessert- yoghurt with blurberries, or if Ive baked any dessert (usually crustless apple pie) I'll have that.

jackay Enthusiast

Dinner tonight with family for Easter. I'm concerned about what will be available and how to find out what I can have. With the help of my fiance we should be able to figure it out together.

I see many talking about cross contamination and I almost feel as if I'm avoiding that subject right now. I think I want to concentrate on eating gluten free for the most part. But then part of me is concerned I may not get better if I'm not careful about it.

Thanks for all your input so far!

I play it safe and bring my own meal. I tried doing holiday meals and avoided all gluten foods but ended up getting cc. That seems to be a big issue for me. I'm even taking my own silverware. At this point, I am not going to chance going back to the hell I was living.

jackay Enthusiast

Gluten is not an issue for me (is for daughter) and I have other food allergies. But I will list my current breakfast. And that is pre-made polenta, cut in thin slices, topped with plain tomato sauce and nuked in the microwave. I also eat a handful of pinenuts, walnuts, pecans or pumpkin seeds for protein. Makes a nice filling meal. Sometimes I gel up some chia seeds and eat the gel for protein. I should start doing that again. They are quite filling.

I got pretty sick one day after eating chia seeds. I'm not 100% certain if that is what caused it. It could be that my stomach wasn't healed enough for them. I have a large container of them but am going to wait a while before trying them again. I sure hope I can eat them.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've had to cut way back on carbs for 2 reasons... 1. I love them too much... I ate a sandwich every day for lunch and rice or potatoes or pasta at supper... and 2. It seemed my digestive system was revolting at my carb addiction.

So, now I only eat bread, etc. twice a week. On Tuesdays, we make burgers and oven baked fries to eat while we're watching LOST (ha ha) and Saturday is my diet "cheat" day.

I've lost 20 lbs... only another 15 to go!

I'm not a huge breakfast fan and will often combine breakfast and lunch. Here are some of the things I eat:

Stoneyfield vanilla yogurt w/ fresh and frozen fruit and chopped nuts on top.

Scrambled eggs w/ crumbled turkey sausage mixed in

Lettuce wraps... thinly sliced ham or turkey w/ a teeny bit of cheese

About 1/2 cup already cooked brown rice w/ lots of baby carrots and fresh broccoli nuked together and mixed up w/ a little ranch dressing and a little sliced ham or turkey. This one is my "go-to" lunch/brunch

Supper is whatever meat we decide to cook/grill... chicken or flank steak or pork tenderloin... and roasted veggies... broccoli, carrots, asparagus, etc. If I haven't had brown rice at lunch, I might have it for supper.

Unfortunately, my digestive system seems to be unhappy when I drink alcohol... so I'm cutting that out too.

So... today is "cheat" day and I'm making a killer (TINY) macaroni and cheese. Hubby will eat the remaining pasta... as I can't even have it in the HOUSE. I'm terrible in the willpower department!

passionfruit877 Apprentice

Well, I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and now that I've decided to go gluten free, I'm not sure what kind of meals to have or plan for. I used to have toast for breakfast with peanut butter, a sandwhich for lunch, and dinner could be anything from pasta, pizza, chinese food, etc.

Just so I can get some new ideas for shopping tomorrow, what do you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a typical day?

I'm also trying to eat healthier so I can continue my weight loss to a healthy weight. I don't get a chance to go shopping often so perishables are often difficult but good for a few days.

Yoplait yogurt is delicious for breakfast. The ones that are gluten free are labeled on the back. Coffee is gluten free (woooo) but watch out for flavored coffees and creamers.

I make a lot of soup, meat and potatoes, mexican food (like tacos with corn shells), nachos, I made honey mustard chicken the other day that wasn't bad.

bittykitty Rookie

Right now I eat mainly seafood, rice cakes,fruits,veggies,sunflower seed spread,honey,and a little dairy here and there.I eat one"regular" sized meal a day,one small one,and fill in the rest with fruit/veggie smoothies.Body is not happy right now,and I have a hard time digesting anything bigger than the size of an apple..anything bigger and I have to go lay down for about an hour.

Stylo Rookie

Right now I eat mainly seafood, rice cakes,fruits,veggies,sunflower seed spread,honey,and a little dairy here and there.I eat one"regular" sized meal a day,one small one,and fill in the rest with fruit/veggie smoothies.Body is not happy right now,and I have a hard time digesting anything bigger than the size of an apple..anything bigger and I have to go lay down for about an hour.

That's how my body feels right now. I feel like I'm full all the time, but also starving, and when I eat nothing satisfies it but I'm not hungry either so I feel all mixed up. I think it's my body wondering where the gluten is.

So I'm eating small meals often. Right now I've got some tuna ontop of a salad with italian salad dressing.

bittykitty Rookie

That's how my body feels right now. I feel like I'm full all the time, but also starving, and when I eat nothing satisfies it but I'm not hungry either so I feel all mixed up. I think it's my body wondering where the gluten is.

So I'm eating small meals often. Right now I've got some tuna ontop of a salad with italian salad dressing.

Since my SO stopped bringing bread into the house a few days ago,I've been eating much better.Still have an upset stomach after white rice,potatoes,gluten free flours..any of that stuff.Body just hates it right now.

Black Sheep Apprentice

Two options for the soy sauce - La Choy is gluten free (full of a ton of other assorted "schtuff", but gluten free) and while I prefer aged Tamari... sometimes a gal has to go for cheaps! Anther substitute I've found at the local health food shops is Brag's Amino Acids - I can usually get a 14 oz bottle for about $4. It's just soybeans and water - tastes like the good soy sauce and is half the price of the specially marketed gluten free stuff.

You can do this, there really ARE tons of things to eat once you start looking!

I bought some LaChoy, which is just o.k.....I didn't know about the Grag's Amino's though! That's good to know! I always saw those bottles in the health food section and wondered what the heck it was.

masterjen Explorer

I am about 2-months post-diagnosis, and I am only eating pure/whole foods: meat, fish, poultry, fresh fruit, and veggies with no sauces and only pepper - and a bit of salt - for spices. (I am also night-shade free, lactose-free, and soy free; was entirely lectin-free but am now slowly adding lectins back in one at a time). Basicaly, I avoid anything that is processed, such as bread, pasta, cookies, etc. I personally would recommended a pure/whole food diet for any newly diagnosed Celiac, and of course stick with those whole foods you're used to eating until your system stabilizes - don't introduce new or rarely-eaten foods in the early stages (I made that mistake a couple of times; the results were not good. . . ). This diet is more expensive, and meal preparation and cooking are more time-consuming, but I believe our health is worth it!!

Reba32 Rookie

I'm a low-carber, no sugar, gluten free, mainly whole natural foods

breakfast this morning was a pumpkin flax muffin with cream cheese, coffee with real cream and 1 litre of water

snack was slices of Hormel Naturals ham, with some cucumber

lunch was a tin of tuna, HUGE garden salad, with ranch dressing

afternoon snack was peanuts and a piece of Endangered Species 88% cocoa chocolate bar

supper was spaghetti squash with italian sausage and alfredo sauce (so so so yummy!)

If I get the munchies later, I may have some frozen berries with cream for dessert. It's a nice ice-cream alternative. But goodness, I'm full up from the spaghetti squash.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Some of our staples are Tinkyada pasta, Kinnickinnick pizza crust, and Udi's bread. A typical day for my daughter who is gluten-free is:

Breakfast

gluten-free Toast w/ peanut butter

Banana

Lunch

gluten-free Sandwich on Udis

Caesar salad with Litehouse dressing (parmesan and cherub grape tomatoes)

Fruit (grapes, clementines, whatever I have on hand)

Some sort of gluten-free cookie or jelly belly jelly beans

Dinner

Tinkyada pasta w/ italian sausage

Broccoli

Archived