prisskitty

No Energy!

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for a bit but I can't seem to keep my energy up. What kinds of foods can I add for energy? I am not going to say I don't have GSE just because I don't have energy because this happened often too on wheat. It seemed to not fix unless I over-eat a little bit. (It confuses me!) I wonder if I am having carbohydrate withdrawls.

You are not alone this is my number 1 issue - lack of energy. It used to be lack of energy + brain fog but since I've left gluten, dairy and eggs the brain fog seems to have relapsed somewhat.

I have a theory on lack of energy in celiacs, feel free to pick holes in it:-

Celiac disease destroys villi meaning surface area to scoop up nutrients such as sugars and proteins is less than a normal person. Therefore to ensure your body picks up the nutrients it needs you need to eat a greater volume of food until your villi heal sufficiently.

If you don't therefore eat the required amount of food you are constantly hungry and tired which is not satied by small snacks here and there (i.e. when you're at work not wanting to look like a pig).

Add to this a glutening and it really is a nightmare for energy levels. So avoid getting glutened and eat plenty of gluten-free foods to try and boost your energy levels. I find roomy carbs such as white rice / potatoes (if you can tolerate them) added to quality proteins seem to be helpful. Good luck!

Has your doctor tested your thyroid function? A lot of us have thyroid issues, which will make you tired.

Have you had your iron levels and ferritin checked? Low levels are pretty common in Coeliacs and cause tiredness and lack of energy. You might need iron supplements.

Not sure about ferritin but I had had my iron and thryoid checked a year ago.

I am beginning to wonder if my stomach issues are not from gluten but more so from nightshades. I am starting to feel worse on the gluten-free diet. I've avoided 95% of dairy too.

Not sure about ferritin but I had had my iron and thryoid checked a year ago.

I am beginning to wonder if my stomach issues are not from gluten but more so from nightshades. I am starting to feel worse on the gluten-free diet. I've avoided 95% of dairy too.

A year is a pretty long time. It may be a good idea to have them checked again.