Emily928

Catholic Communion Logistics - Need Advice!

Rate this topic

I am a Catholic and have been diagnosed with Celiac for almost two years. Shortly after my diagnosis I talked to my priest, to explained that it is perfectly okay to receive communion only in the form of wine. I am ok with the risk of cross-contamination from other communicants (and the chalice with the wafer is only given to the Eucharistic Ministers). My question is with the logistics of only receiving wine. I usually just "skip" the wafer line, basically heading over into the wine line before I get to the front, but it's always a little awkward. I don't want to cut in front of the person in front of me, and sometimes the Eucharistic Ministers give me weird looks or even try to get me to receive the wafer. I'm not really interested in the low gluten host as my church is really large and I go to different masses each week. As far as I know, there aren't any other members of my parish with Celiac.

Do you have any strategies for receiving wine that aren't so awkward? Thanks!!

Our wine holder person is next to the communion wafer person. I follow my row up and when the person in front of me is getting the wafer, I pop over to the wine. I talked to a friend that is a E. Minister & he said they won't think its odd. Maybe your priest could explain to them about skipping the host. Or after mass, tell a couple of them what's going on briefly. I get messed up when the cup with the host piece ends up in my line.

I agree with Karen--a word to the Eucharistic Ministers from the Priest should do the trick.

I do what Kareng does. We always sit up front--second or third pew--to avoid the cc problem. The chalice with the Precious Body ALMOST always goes to the other side. When it does come to my side, I stay in the pew for Spiritual Communion. Remember, we aren't required to receive each week, only to celebrate the Mass.

There should be a coordinator for EMHC listed in your parish directory. I'm sure if you gave them a call, they would include this in the training.

Your doing the right thing and don't let anyone embarrass you. ;)

If anyone has advice for me I'd appreciate it as well. Communion at my church requires us to take a a piece of the loaf from our pastor and dunk it into the wine. The wine is always full of bread so I haven't been able to participate for a while and it makes me sad.

If anyone has advice for me I'd appreciate it as well. Communion at my church requires us to take a a piece of the loaf from our pastor and dunk it into the wine. The wine is always full of bread so I haven't been able to participate for a while and it makes me sad.

If you feel comfortable, you could discuss with your Priest if it would be ok for you to purchase a small Chalice for your personal use.

If you feel comfortable, you could discuss with your Priest if it would be ok for you to purchase a small Chalice for your personal use.

Not to but in or anything but I'm not religious, so how often do you receive comm?

Could you bring your own gluten-free wafers prior to mass, have the priest bless them, and then bring your own single wafer for communion? You could hand it to the priest/deacon when you approach them and then they could do their thing and hand it back to you. There are some nuns who make gluten free wafers. I'll look for that link/info.

Here's the link. It says low-gluten rather than gluten free so you may want to call:

http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php

This is an interesting thread. So the wafer definitely gluten laden?

I have heard that some churches will put out a paper cup of wine for people who can't use the communal cup. Celiac but also, low immune systems from Chemo, etc. Ask at church.

Not to but in or anything but I'm not religious, so how often do you receive comm?

Catholics usually recieve every week.

This is an interesting thread. So the wafer definitely gluten laden?

The wafer is made from wheat. The alternatives still have a touch of wheat in them. Trying to change a tradion in a large religion is difficult. It is thought that if it doesn't contain wheat it isn't like the bread Jesus had at the last supper.

WEll, I'm just really really sad to hear this. This is something I hadn't even thought about and changes everything for my own private ritual when I take the Eucharist. :(

Could you bring your own gluten-free wafers prior to mass, have the priest bless them, and then bring your own single wafer for communion? You could hand it to the priest/deacon when you approach them and then they could do their thing and hand it back to you. There are some nuns who make gluten free wafers. I'll look for that link/info.

Here's the link. It says low-gluten rather than gluten free so you may want to call:

http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php

That's what I do! Fr. Fred has a special little carrier for mine and he keeps it in his pocket. I always go to him for communion. It's like our own little system :). The wine I tend to skip (I am a tiiiiny bit of a germaphobe) but I DO take it at Easter and Christmas.

WEll, I'm just really really sad to hear this. This is something I hadn't even thought about and changes everything for my own private ritual when I take the Eucharist. :(

Yeah! I always thought they were made of styrofoam - as little as they resemble bread. :)