Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Wheat DNA Used To Grow Indangered American Chestnut Trees

I was asked to submit this article. It could prove to be an interesting discussion:

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/18/1086612/future-of-american-chestnut-takes.html

"The embryos were infused with a synthetic gene, along with genes from wheat and a spruce tree, all believed to contain material that will help the trees resist blight....."

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are you hoping for discussion on the biogenetic engeneering aspect of this undertaking in general or on the fact that specifically, they used wheat DNA in the process?

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how it happened. Is there a way for a user to delete a post when this happens? Couldn't find an edit choice for that.

or on the fact that specifically, they used wheat DNA in the process?

I was asked to post this from a member. I would think the "wheat" association, is where it would grab interest of discussion. Although, I would think that bio genetic engineering is far different than transferring the protein found in wheat,(which endangers those with Celiac Disease), to the bearing fruit of a chestnut tree.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I hope they are successful. I still remember the day they cut down the chestnut from our front yard, I was so sad to see it go and as I was so young I didn't understand why.

I could be wrong but I don't think the engineering would leave the fruit unsafe for us.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)