This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recently Diagnosed With Celiac... Now I'm Pregnant

nikelodeon79

nikelodeon79 Rookie

So, hubby and I had been casually trying (whatever happens, happens) for a year or so to have a baby, and I didn't really think much about it after I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and started a gluten-free diet. Well... turns out I got pregnant almost immediately after going gluten free!

I'm having some issues now because I have weird heartburn-like symptoms (I've never really had heartburn before... so I'm not totally sure that's what it is). Basically, I feel like there's a lump in my throat... almost like I'm anxious or something. Rolaids and 7-up or ginger ale sometimes helps... sometimes not.

My biggest issue is that I feel full ALL the time. Nothing (at least nothing gluten free) sounds good to me at all. I know I have to eat for the baby... but gosh everything is just so unappetizing. The only things that I even remotely enjoyed eating since getting pregnant are spaghetti (rice noodles) and scrambled eggs. I recently went out to eat with friends and there was this gluten-filled biscuit platter (with sausage gravy & eggs and all the trimmings) that I wanted SO BAD. I had to fight with myself to not order it. :(

I think a big problem is that I want convenient things. I have zero energy right now and so preparing a gluten-free meal just doesn't sound like a good idea. I really need to find some quick meals I can make... so I can get my appetite back!

I have also been having constipation since getting pregnant. It's probably contributing to the really full feeling I've been having. It's tempting to eat a yummy gluten-filled meal just so I could go to the bathroom... but I know that wouldn't be good for me or the baby. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Every pregnancy is different. I liked fruits and fruity flavors. Easy things: Pre-made chocolate milk. You may have to force yourself to eat. Get the full fat yogurt and slide some in. Add hamburger or some other meat into your spaghetti sauce (I had to have "hidden meat" ot I would barf). You can make a bunch one night and microwave the leftovers. Chex cereal was something I ate dry constantly while pregnant. Apple sliced with PB on it. Cheese slices - buy sliced or cut a cheese brick up and store in a baggie. Nuts.

Have hub do a few of these things for you. Most would be happy to help you. He could make milkshakes or smoothies. Get you some ice cream before bed. Good luck!

Talk to your OB and the OB nurse about the acid & constipation. Sometimes the nurse had more suggestions than the doc. Doc said - "take iron pills even if they do make you constipated." Nurse said - "here's a list of iron rich foods. Add ?? servings off of here a week."

tarnalberry Community Regular

Most every food sounded horrid to me during my first trimester. I lived off of avocados, sweet potatoes, and eggs, practically. The good news is that, though you do need to eat for your baby, unless you are literally starving yourself (calorically and nutritionally) your baby is going to be fine even if you lose weight during your first trimester. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It wasn't until a couple weeks into my second trimester that I regained some appetite, and my midwives were never worried. (I gained a fairly normal amount of weight, on the lower end of normal.)

Keep those simple foods around. If you have a gluten-free bread you like and eggs and toast sound ok, then great - eggs have a lot of valuable nutrients and the bread has needed carbs. Let yourself spend a little more if needed for convenience factors (I also ate a lot of frozen veggies reheated in the microwave). Let your body really guide you. (I found pork distasteful my whole pregnancy, aside from a strong craving for a BLT one week during my pregnancy. I made two of them (different days), and then was done with it. But it was appropriate for that time!) But that was a big undertaking! Meals are overrated - simple things that you can eat without preparation are great, regardless of if they make a "meal".

For the constipation, I would try to make sure you get what fiber you can (veggies!) and take magnesium along with your prenatal. (If your doc has you on iron, know that it can be constipating. Ditto with calcium. Magnesium will address this issue.)

For the nausea/heartburn, try to avoid cold foods/beverages in favor of lukewarm or hot ones. A combination of red raspberry leaf and nettle leaves (which I picked up at Whole Foods in the bulk section) makes an excellent pregnancy tea (and no, there is no evidence that it will contribute to miscarriage in a healthy pregnancy). Ginger and lemon tea with honey may help as well. And keeping an eye on avoiding blood sugar swings (which got MUCH worse for me during pregnancy).

Things really do get better - both appetite and energy level - in the second trimester for most women. But right now, your body is growing a brand new organ (the placenta), in addition to providing energy for the baby. It's got a lot going on!

Finally, though it's a "harsh" way of saying it - if you want a really really good reason for staying gluten free regardless of the temptation around you, know that gluten antibodies in the mother which cross into the blood stream have been found to attack the placenta, one of the reasons for an increased risk of miscarriage in untreated celiacs. If nothing else, that is a reason to never slip up, despite the pining for the old foods you loved.

Yup Apprentice

Most every food sounded horrid to me during my first trimester. I lived off of avocados, sweet potatoes, and eggs, practically. The good news is that, though you do need to eat for your baby, unless you are literally starving yourself (calorically and nutritionally) your baby is going to be fine even if you lose weight during your first trimester. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It wasn't until a couple weeks into my second trimester that I regained some appetite, and my midwives were never worried. (I gained a fairly normal amount of weight, on the lower end of normal.)

Keep those simple foods around. If you have a gluten-free bread you like and eggs and toast sound ok, then great - eggs have a lot of valuable nutrients and the bread has needed carbs. Let yourself spend a little more if needed for convenience factors (I also ate a lot of frozen veggies reheated in the microwave). Let your body really guide you. (I found pork distasteful my whole pregnancy, aside from a strong craving for a BLT one week during my pregnancy. I made two of them (different days), and then was done with it. But it was appropriate for that time!) But that was a big undertaking! Meals are overrated - simple things that you can eat without preparation are great, regardless of if they make a "meal".

For the constipation, I would try to make sure you get what fiber you can (veggies!) and take magnesium along with your prenatal. (If your doc has you on iron, know that it can be constipating. Ditto with calcium. Magnesium will address this issue.)

For the nausea/heartburn, try to avoid cold foods/beverages in favor of lukewarm or hot ones. A combination of red raspberry leaf and nettle leaves (which I picked up at Whole Foods in the bulk section) makes an excellent pregnancy tea (and no, there is no evidence that it will contribute to miscarriage in a healthy pregnancy). Ginger and lemon tea with honey may help as well. And keeping an eye on avoiding blood sugar swings (which got MUCH worse for me during pregnancy).

Things really do get better - both appetite and energy level - in the second trimester for most women. But right now, your body is growing a brand new organ (the placenta), in addition to providing energy for the baby. It's got a lot going on!

Finally, though it's a "harsh" way of saying it - if you want a really really good reason for staying gluten free regardless of the temptation around you, know that gluten antibodies in the mother which cross into the blood stream have been found to attack the placenta, one of the reasons for an increased risk of miscarriage in untreated celiacs. If nothing else, that is a reason to never slip up, despite the pining for the old foods you loved.

I agree about slipping up. I was undiagnosed and when my hubby was diagnosed type II diabetic and we stopped eating gluten and I got pregnant that same month. I could hardly eat anything but salad with mozza cheese. I went off all preservatives because I wanted a healthy baby. I went to visit my mom who made delicious homemade bread and I didn't hold back. Suddenly, my blood pressure rose and the baby had to be born at 29 weeks. My 2 pound baby is healthy today. She just went into grade 1. If I had known I was celiac back then...gluten would have vanished from my diet with the preservatives. Last week I found a frozen, ready made gluten-free meal at Costco! Broccoli Cheese Chicken & Rice 28 oz by Blue Horizon. It is labelled gluten-free as well :D.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, NON FAT DRY MILK, CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO), UNSALTED BUTTER, CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVORS, CHEDDAR CHEESE FLAVOR BASE (CHEDDAR CHEESE AND BLUE CHEESE [{PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES}, WHEY, WATER, SALT], SALT, CORN OIL, YEAST EXTRACT, SWEET CREAM POWDER, BUTTER, SUGAR, DRY MUSTARD, FLAVOR), CHICKEN BROTH, SALT, SPICES, ANNATTO. RICE. COOKED CHICKEN: CHICKEN BREAST MEAT, WATER, RICE AND/OR POTATO STARCH, SALT AND/OR SEA SALT. BROCC OLI. Allergen S: Contains MILK, SOY.

nikelodeon79 Rookie

Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice!

I had my first appointment today with the nurse practitioner. Guess what? She eats wheat free! She had some good advice on food (including bread that isn't yucky!). It was really exciting that she not only knew what celiac disease was, but choses to eat wheat free and therefore knows somewhat of the limitations I have in finding meals. :)

I've been eating a lot of veggies and fruit... and "comfort" food like mashed potatoes, ham, meatloaf, etc. does actually sound good. My mom's coming to visit this weekend and she's making me a ham dinner tonight. :-) Yay!

My hubby is fantastic... but is just learning how to cook and things like that. He's really good at following instructions, though. :) I'm sure he'll be glad for things to do to help out that aren't as complicated as a full blown meal. ;) I've been cooking "dual meals" for us (my little bro lives with us as well) (e.g. spaghetti with rice noodles for me, regular noodles for them) so that's a concern. I just am afraid they won't be careful enough to avoid cross contamination, so I usually end up doing it myself.

I really need to start utilizing this forum more fully because I didn't realize I could eat things like ham, bacon and sausage... I simply had it in my mind that processed in any way = bad. I'm REALLY excited to add some breakfast sausage to my eggs... I do love scrambled eggs a lot!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Unless you are really underweight, don't worry about the first trimester. Make sure you take your prenatal and whatever helps it get down and stay down. I ate a lot of Skittles with my first child and he came out fine. It can be difficult, but drink all you can. Being dehydrated can make the nausea so much worse, not to mention constipation.

Best wishes for your growing family!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Some of us don't do well with processed foods because we have multiple other intolerances/allergies to avoid as well, but if all you have to avoid is gluten you have a wide variety or convenience foods you can get. You can get a list of General Mills Gluten free products here: Open Original Shared Link

The list includes things like Progresso soup and Hamburger Helper. Start googling the large companies and you will find some others that have lists like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I chugged orange juice when I first figured out I was pregnant. I was also loving tomato based dishes. Heartburn city resulted. I cut back to one glass of OJ in the morning, plenty of folic acid, my prenatal, and a couple of protien shakes during the day (they had folic acid). I also made sure I drank plenty of liquids during the days between meals to that I didn't need as much with meals or right before laying down for bed. You may want to talk hubby into lifting the legs of the head of the bed 6 inches off the floor. Even if the heartburn subsides now, it is likely to return in your 3rd trimester when you don't have much room in your stomach. I was getting a lot of nausea from my multivitamin. My doc switched me to BellyBar brand prenatal chewables. They are with the children's vitamins at the drugstore or with the prenatals at BabiesRUs. That stopped most of my nausea although I was fortunate enough not to have much to begin with.

I get that 0 appetite feeling when I cross contaminate myself, although your body is likely different from mine and I shouldn't be mentioning that.

Yogurt and protien shakes saved me when I was feeling like I couldn't cook anything. Drink lots of fluids even though you are peeing constantly. It lets up later. I can sleep through the night again now. I'm not looking forward to the 3rd trimester.

I found Buckwheat from Bob's redmill. I LOVE IT. So does hubby. I prepare it like oatmeal, add rasins, walnuts, soy milk, and sugar. It tastes like oatmeal, but just a little nuttier. It has the texture of maybe grapenuts cereal. Not a quick easy dish, but it makes a lot and it has lots of fiber for the GI track. I also keep a jar of peanut butter in my purse along with an apple. They give me that little boost I need if I decide to go out. I'm also eating a lot of waffles from Van's in the freezer section. I put peanut butter on them. 2 minute preparation. Get that sleep. Recovering from celiac is a lot of work. Being pregnant doubles that.

Oh, I got trace amounts of gluten twice so far in my pregnancy. The second time, Baby slowed down moving while I was feeling so sick, but as soon as I felt better, baby was back to swimming around.

Congrats on the pregnancy and the diagnosis. Baby will love you for being gluten free. (At least until it is a teenager).

gflooser Contributor

Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice!

I had my first appointment today with the nurse practitioner. Guess what? She eats wheat free! She had some good advice on food (including bread that isn't yucky!). It was really exciting that she not only knew what celiac disease was, but choses to eat wheat free and therefore knows somewhat of the limitations I have in finding meals. :)

I've been eating a lot of veggies and fruit... and "comfort" food like mashed potatoes, ham, meatloaf, etc. does actually sound good. My mom's coming to visit this weekend and she's making me a ham dinner tonight. :-) Yay!

My hubby is fantastic... but is just learning how to cook and things like that. He's really good at following instructions, though. :) I'm sure he'll be glad for things to do to help out that aren't as complicated as a full blown meal. ;) I've been cooking "dual meals" for us (my little bro lives with us as well) (e.g. spaghetti with rice noodles for me, regular noodles for them) so that's a concern. I just am afraid they won't be careful enough to avoid cross contamination, so I usually end up doing it myself.

I really need to start utilizing this forum more fully because I didn't realize I could eat things like ham, bacon and sausage... I simply had it in my mind that processed in any way = bad. I'm REALLY excited to add some breakfast sausage to my eggs... I do love scrambled eggs a lot!

Congrats! eggs are a great thing to keep eating while your preggie!! we had sausage with busquick pancakes last night. i use the banquet brown and serve. but jones and jimmy dean i think are also gluten-free, check first :) there are so many things you can still eat. you just have to read everything, and every time you buy it too! hormel has a new line of all natural deli meats that have no fillers, nitrates and is even listed as gluten-free! they are great!!!!

you are soooo lucky your NP understands and helps you with the diet!!!! truely, most drs are clueless. i even had to inform my nutritionist about some things!!!!! i am 16 weeks preggie right now and have been gluten-free for 10 years and i'm STILL struggling with hidden glutens. it's sooooooo frustrating! but all worth it! sounds like your doing all you can do! keep up the good work!

De

gflooser Contributor

also, if your dr. agrees's try miralax for your constipation. i use it frequently as i was always constipated BEFORE i got pregnant, and now it's sooooo much worse!!!!! if your having it bad, try to stay away from too much cheese and rice. it' kills me!!!! they are binding ingredients and are good for when your bowels go the OTHER way!

rhiannon34 Newbie

The first trimester was the hardest for me in terms of food cravings and energy levels. Meat made me want to barf, and I also had to eat hidden meat. I lived on watermelon, strawberries and skittles. I am very constipated all the time not pregnant, and when I am pregnant, the constipation gets so bad, I keep bladder infections the whole time I'm pregnant. What kept them under control for me was taking a good acidopholis, and whole food calcium/magnesium supplement, and when I did get a bladder infection taking d-mannose. Of course plenty of water is a must. I used a midwife though who was wonderful about keeping it all natural and off of the anti-biotics.

JeepWidow Newbie

I feel for ya. I'm in my first trimester and am so hungry it's not even funny, yet for the past two days every food I can think of to try to eat makes me want to gag. It's probably chock full of perservatives, but Amy's gluten free mac and cheese is my staple right now. Someone mentioned hidden meat, and now I'm thinking maybe mixing a little ground burger in it would probably be cool. I'm also pretty happy with Trader Joes Greek Vanilla Yogurt. Today I ate some of the Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Donuts in cinnamon sugar (warmed in the microwave)for breakfast and that was a pretty good sucess.

Anyone have any suggestions for practical starvation feelings? I'm really trying and honnestly I'm still managing to choke down a lot no matter how bad it tastes, but I just can't seem to stop feeling hungry.

Archived