This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Back Problems?

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Hi everyone. I was wondering, is there a connect between back problems/bone diseases and Celiac?

I had x-rays done on March 17th and got results from my physiotherapist last Monday...and it wasn't very good.

The x-rays showed levoconvex lumbar scoliosis (still considered mild) beginning in my first 5 vertebrae. But that's not all it showed. The exact words were "mild disc height loss at the lumbosacral junction" (in the words of the physiotherapist, the disc that connects the lumbar to the main joints with your hip bones and things like that has begun to deteriorate). :(.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Did you ever have a dexa scan to look at bone loss from malabsorption? I remember that you've had terrible problems finding good medical services.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Did you ever have a dexa scan to look at bone loss from malabsorption? I remember that you've had terrible problems finding good medical services.

No I didn't. Would it be a rheumatologist that looks at something like that, or can a regular family doctor order it? I plan to see my family doctor but she's so backed up that I won't get in to see her until next month.

cahill Collaborator

No I didn't. Would it be a rheumatologist that looks at something like that, or can a regular family doctor order it? I plan to see my family doctor but she's so backed up that I won't get in to see her until next month.

my family doctor ordered mine,,, could you call her office and see if she will order it before she sees you ???

cahill Collaborator

Hi everyone. I was wondering, is there a connect between back problems/bone diseases and Celiac?

I had x-rays done on March 17th and got results from my physiotherapist last Monday...and it wasn't very good.

The x-rays showed levoconvex lumbar scoliosis (still considered mild) beginning in my first 5 vertebrae. But that's not all it showed. The exact words were "mild disc height loss at the lumbosacral junction" (in the words of the physiotherapist, the disc that connects the lumbar to the main joints with your hip bones and things like that has begun to deteriorate). :(.

my CT Scan showed a mild compression deformity of the superior T11 end plate,, my DEXA scan showed osteoporosis in my spine

mushroom Proficient

Your regular family doctor should be able to order a DEXA scan - mine did (it was fine :D ). It's funny you mention scoliosis because I have been wondering if mine is related to celiac too :o I have read mention here and there of people associating scoliosis and celiac. I developed mine very late in life. I though it was maybe because I had to have my left first rib removed but now I am wondering. I haven't had it checked in a while so will do so this summer.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Your regular family doctor should be able to order a DEXA scan - mine did (it was fine :D ). It's funny you mention scoliosis because I have been wondering if mine is related to celiac too :o I have read mention here and there of people associating scoliosis and celiac. I developed mine very late in life. I though it was maybe because I had to have my left first rib removed but now I am wondering. I haven't had it checked in a while so will do so this summer.

I will definitely mention it to her, then! May 10th can't come soon enough! :/.

I wonder about the connection, also. If I do get sent to a rheumatologist I'm going to ask them what the odds of a connection between Celiac/scoliosis is! Can't hurt, right? I just refuse to go to the same jerk as last time, that's for sure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JSegura226 Apprentice

I had a case of mild scoliosis discovered when I was around 6 years old. It became an extreme case in my teens that required surgery. I also suspect I had undiagnosed Celiac most, if not all of my life = /... Also had Chiari 1 Malformation surgery around the same time.. which is another bone disorder..I am pretty convinced mine was a result of the celiac and the vitamin deficiencies (calcium) that it causes ..

My 23 year old sister who is having stomach issues lately and having issues with shaky hands, migraines and feeling extremely lethargic at work just found out she is developing a slight case of scoliosis also.. but she is one of those people that won't change her diet or get tested for Celiac or gluten intolerance until her health basically hits rock bottom =(. I actually had to pick her up from work tonight because she could not drive home and she almost passed out mid shift.

tarnalberry Community Regular

BTW, you can use yoga to help relieve that pain of scoliosis and help prevent further degeneration. Surgery isn't the only option. (A well trained yoga therapist would be in order if you wanted to go that route, not just any ol' standard yoga teacher.)

• 2 weeks later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

I'm still wondering, which of the 2 conditions can cause major back spasms to occur at random times? I had one again today where I nearly had to grab onto the table to keep my balance or walk because it hurt that bad and hit out of nowhere. This is the 5th time in the last 2 months i've had these random attacks now...

I had a case of mild scoliosis discovered when I was around 6 years old. It became an extreme case in my teens that required surgery. I also suspect I had undiagnosed Celiac most, if not all of my life = /... Also had Chiari 1 Malformation surgery around the same time.. which is another bone disorder..I am pretty convinced mine was a result of the celiac and the vitamin deficiencies (calcium) that it causes ..

My 23 year old sister who is having stomach issues lately and having issues with shaky hands, migraines and feeling extremely lethargic at work just found out she is developing a slight case of scoliosis also.. but she is one of those people that won't change her diet or get tested for Celiac or gluten intolerance until her health basically hits rock bottom =(. I actually had to pick her up from work tonight because she could not drive home and she almost passed out mid shift.

Aww, sad. Wish she would go get checked! and hope she'll be okay. Not sure how much of my story you know, but I went about 7.5 years undiagnosed/untreated. And the list of my health problems is ridiculous. So long I can't fit it in the signature basically! Just a gut feeling I have that the 2 are connected, but I'm no expert of course.

BTW, you can use yoga to help relieve that pain of scoliosis and help prevent further degeneration. Surgery isn't the only option. (A well trained yoga therapist would be in order if you wanted to go that route, not just any ol' standard yoga teacher.)

Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind if anything!

liss7217 Newbie

Gluten does all kinds of crazy things to my body. I had terrible back problems to the point that I could not walk.It would happen at the most random times and sometimes I would get stuck in the car or have my boyfriend carry me out of the grocery store. I went to all different types of doctors and nothing seemed to help much until recently I started following a Paleo style diet and cutting out all grains. It kinda stinks because I am already allergic to gluten, soy, dairy, and now now grains at all!!! I was in so much pain all of the time though that this sacrifice was worth it. I would make sure that you aren't getting gluten by something your eating that is causing the spasms to occurs.

One doctor told me that the organs can get so swollen then can put pressure on certain areas and cause spasms, my pain would radiate all the way down my leg.I also had xrays done but they mainly just showed some slight alignment issues so I knew that my pain was being caused from something I was eating. I decided to do a test and ate a piece of regular bread which was a terrible idea because for 3 days I could barely move the pain in my back was so bad.

My chiropractor told me that he thought my hips joints were so weak that they could support my body weight which didn't make sense because I have been a personal trainer for almost 7 years and until about a year ago when I started getting sick I worked out all the time, so I really believe that is was connected to my diet. Because otherwise why would it not hurt all the time?

Even though your xrays show that there is an problem there I would also recommend yoga it has been something that has helped me so much that I even went through a training program to teach it to others. I really hope you start feeling better soon...I feel your pain.

Loey Rising Star

Sorry you're suffering from the back pain. As many others have noted Celiac is connected to all sorts of diseases. I, too, have scoliosis and it turned out the pain I attributed to celiac was the scoliosis and the pain radiated. I agree that you need a DEXA Scan to make sure there's no bone loss. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to vent about the back pain or anything else.

Loey

• 4 weeks later...
num1habsfan Rising Star

Ugh, I've been having a MAJOR spasm this past week. Bad enough that I had to go to the ER for a shot. She gave me a low dose of Toradol (sp?) so that it wouldn't affect my hypertension too greatly.

Tomorrow is my last day of taking Celebrex twice daily (the rest as needed), and Cyclobenzaprine half-to-one tablet up to 3 times a day as needed.

If it wasn't for either I'd be in bed 99% of the day. I cannot walk more than 2 blocks without having to stop because of the pain :/.

And to add to it I have a job that requires me bending down a lot :(

thleensd Enthusiast

I have severe back pain, and you bet it's related. Remember, Celiac (or gluten-intorance) can damage every system in the body (from inflammation or malnutrition...)

See if you can find a heath care worker that will understand and help you through it. I have a very patient physical therapist who has come to understand that since I'm still in a health crisis my body doesn't heal as fast... so everything I do needs to be at a slower pace. I've been in it for a year. A year ago I couldn't sit, and would have days and weeks of spasms. Now I can sit through meals, take 20 minute walks, and bend and stretch some.

Best of luck. I hope you can find some relief. Are there modifications you can make at work so it doesn't get worse?

Loey Rising Star

Ugh, I've been having a MAJOR spasm this past week. Bad enough that I had to go to the ER for a shot. She gave me a low dose of Toradol (sp?) so that it wouldn't affect my hypertension too greatly.

Tomorrow is my last day of taking Celebrex twice daily (the rest as needed), and Cyclobenzaprine half-to-one tablet up to 3 times a day as needed.

If it wasn't for either I'd be in bed 99% of the day. I cannot walk more than 2 blocks without having to stop because of the pain :/.

And to add to it I have a job that requires me bending down a lot :(

When I sent to my second GI in my new home state he had me lift my left leg while he pushed on the area I had the most severe celiac pain and told me it was my back. Sure enough I have scoliosis. It's not uncommon. I see a chiropractor for it. Sending lots of positive energy to you!!!!!

Loey

Archived