Mom of Boys

Gluten Free And Now Nauseated - What's Going On?

Rate this topic

Until I discovered that I was lactose intolerant, I suffered with waves of nausea every day. Once I eliminated dairy, the nausea is more rare now.

I've been gluten free for a few days... maybe two weeks, maybe a little less than that...

And today I'm having that nasty nausea. It's not so bad that I vomit, just bad enough to make me feel rotten and unmotivated. Anyone else have bouts of nausea in the early stages of going gluten free? Or perhaps I accidentally took in some gluten? (I'm being VERY careful, so I don't think I ate anything with gluten in it).

Any advice?

I had terrible nausea...for two months....my stomach rumbled and growled and seemed to be "waking up". I took promethazine to calm the symtoms. It worked very well for me. After two months it went away. I decided it was my "baby villi" growing back. But your body will do some weird things in the process of healing. Promethazine is by prescription and my dr. was fine with me using it for the early healing.

I've had nausea in the beginning of my diet too. I think it was my body healing. It has since gone away. Someone told me the nausea pressure point is on your wrist. Those motion sickness bands have a thing that presses on it. You could try one of them and see if it helps. Or just take a couple of fingers and press on the underside of your wrist, where the veins are. Of course if it's really bad, you might ask your doctor for drugs. Good luck.

I had it when I started taking supplaments d and iron. I also had it when my blood sugar went wacky.

I still get it if I eat too much sugar.

Doc told me it was my liver, adrenals and possibly gall bladder trying to figure themselves out.

Eatmeat, celtic, and prickly, thank you for your responses. I guess nausea goes along with it. I ate some salty foods (olives and a pickle) and I feel better. When my blood pressure gets low, I learned that's one thing that causes the nausea and lethargy, so I guess it helped a little. Still wonder if I accidentally ingested some gluten but I've been super careful so I don't think so. I guess Y'all are right, I do have that funky stomach symphony going on! It's noisy in there!

I still have problems with fatigue. I notice it's worse if I eat simple sugars. Eat lots complex carbs. I have nausea all the time too. Still need to figure that one out.

I've been getting nausea daily since going gluten free a month ago. But I have lots of things going on, so who knows.

I FINALLY figured out my random nausea was the return of my dairy intolerance. Gluten and lactose may not be the only foods you react to.

I like zofran except it can weird ur head a little. I keep some on me just in case.

I get nausea from low blood sugar. I also notice it after dairy and really notice it after soy.

What really blows about all this is nausea is a symptom of almost literally anything GI related. Same with heartburn/reflux. You almost drive yourself mad trying to figure it all out because often it takes days or weeks to see if you were right abour eliminating something. You might be dairy and soy intolerant and then cut out one but still have issues. So you eat it and cut out the other. The only real way is the elimination diets which I have not done.

Hi....I am having nausea even while sleeping at night and a feeling of emptiness....does that mean I am not absorbing the food?

I know this is an old thread but it still came up near the top of my google search so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.  I had the same problem as the original poster - After being diagnosed with celiacs went gluten free and felt much better for 2-3 weeks then started getting bad nausea after eating.  Turned out the problem was gluten filler used in meds (pills) I was taking. Sensitivity to gluten increases when you stop eating gluten and I guess after a few weeks the gluten in the pills is enough to become a problem. Anyone having this problem may also want to double check their diet for any small amount of gluten contamination.  One other note, I also had a little nausea during the later part of the first week of being gluten free but that wasn't too bad and resolved after a few days.  From what I understand that was probably just normal gluten withdrawal.