Kristinade

Fat, Swollen Neck

Rate this topic

My neck is so swollen, I can barely wear a necklace. Is it from all the weight I've gained eating wheat products? I've been gluten free fo such a short amount of time and did manage to lose a pound; the bloating in my stomach is starting to go away but it's a painfully slow process. I plan to take photos of myself every couple months to track the progress.

My neck is so swollen, I can barely wear a necklace. Is it from all the weight I've gained eating wheat products? I've been gluten free fo such a short amount of time and did manage to lose a pound; the bloating in my stomach is starting to go away but it's a painfully slow process. I plan to take photos of myself every couple months to track the progress.

Have you had your thyroid checked?

My neck is so swollen,

Do you have any pain or issues with your Jaw ??

Do you have any pain or issues with your Jaw ??

No, but I do have Hashis.

No, but I do have Hashis.

Then you need to go see your doctor and get your Hashi's and thyroid reevaluated. A swollen neck, assuming it isnt weight gain or, can be a sign that something is going on.

I know it's hard to tell. I didn't realize how inflamed my whole body was from gluten til I got off it. It can be a real eye opener.

You could have a goiter or swollen thyroid glad. Gluten intolerance is highly correlated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (low thyroid function) casued by autoimmune damage to thyroid. Hashimoto's is the most common cause of hypothyroidism. Ask your doc to check your TSH, free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibodies, as well as do a physical exam of your neck.

You need to be on thyroid medications, if you already are then you need to take them more regularly or get your dose changed. I do believe goiters can become permanent if left untreated for a prolonged period of time. Hashimotos is often linked to gluten intolerance, perhaps when you have been gluten free longer you will have less problems with your thyroid. But for now go see your doctor.

If you do not have an endocrinologist I highly recommend getting one.