This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bummer...going Dairy Free

Metoo

Metoo Enthusiast

I had hoped it wouldn't come to this. But to decrease my egg intake, trying to heal up my hand. I started eating chex with milk in the morning...and after 5 days of feeling like I was stuffed into my clothes because I was so bloated. So today I decided to cut out all dairy...because the only thing I have changed was breakfast.

....and I am already 50% less bloated and its only 8:30am. Clearly I have a problem. Its time for diary to go too. boo! I was not ready to add another restriction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You might want to eat the rice chex dry and see if you still get bloated. Maybe it was the rice chex and not the milk? If it does turn out to be the dairy you will likely still be able to tolerate butter and some of the dairy replacements are not too bad. Just don't go with Rice Dream rice milk.

Metoo Enthusiast

You might want to eat the rice chex dry and see if you still get bloated. Maybe it was the rice chex and not the milk? If it does turn out to be the dairy you will likely still be able to tolerate butter and some of the dairy replacements are not too bad. Just don't go with Rice Dream rice milk.

I didn't consider that. You are right, that is the only time during the day also that I was eating chex.

Takala Enthusiast

That was my first thought, also.

I went thru a period of time where I tried eating regular gluten-free cereal for breakfast, and it just doesn't work out for me metabolically, especially if it has any sugar.

And then if it is not the Chex, and you still want to try to eat cereal instead of another food for breakfast, try eating it with an alternative to regular milk, either plain yogurt diluted with water so it's the consistency of cream, or an alternative boxed nut milk product. Regular milk has lactose, milk sugar, which needs normal villi in the intestines to handle, some high quality yogurts without added dry milk solids to "thicken" it, will not, therefore you may be able to digest yogurt and hard aged cheeses, which have the lactose aged out. And it is not unusual for regular adults to become lactose intolerant as they get older, anyway, because it takes certain genes to be able to handle milk as an adult, anyway. Most of the world is adult dairy lactose intolerant.

mamaw Community Regular

We enjoy the Almond Breeze vanilla in our cereal!

Skylark Collaborator

Did you try lactose-free milk? Bloating can be simple lactose intolerance.

cougie23 Explorer

We enjoy the Almond Breeze vanilla in our cereal!

Almond breeze vanilla is soooo good!! I warmed some up with crushed candycane this morning!sorta like a caisen free latte! LOL I also use it like a creamer substitute in my coffee and tea! yummy yummy!!!

I also recomend earthbalence butter substitude and smart balance light ( only the light is caisen free/lactose free)or so I read!Ralphs version of Honeycomb is also gluten free and the honeynut corn chex is also yummy!!! LOL :P

I don't know about you but I'm gluten AND Caisen intolerant! When I get dairy it not only bloats me and gives me severe cramps and D I also get migraines that last days ,my longest migraine ever was 1 1/2 months (just before i found out what was wrong with me!)

But I'd get nasty migrains, my neck and jaw seise up,I get shooting pains and traveling numbness and my gums bleed....teeth get achey as well!!! Thats just the dairy...thats not even counting the gluten!!! :ph34r:

Now its night shades and soy...but hey...theres alot of OTHER delishous food out there and its worth the changes NOT to feel like I'm diying!!! LOL :P:D

Oh and since most of us are all off balence with our tummys to begin with try lifeway probiotic keifer...Its got so many probiotics in it its naturaly effervesient LOL..my favotite is pomagranate...it makes my tum tum better!!! LOL Its got only 1% lactose but I read that because of all the probiotics we don't have any trouble digesting just a little lactose in this case!I know its great for coating ulcers and stomache HIVES!(I seem to heal a lot faster when I do have a break out or bad stomache pains)! :ph34r::D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cinnamongirl Rookie

If it's any comfort, I've decided to go egg free and dairy free recently. I've been gluten free for 2 years now and I still have some digestive issues that haven't resolved, so I decided to look for other sources of food intolerances. I decided to eliminate dairy and eggs for a few weeks and then do a challenge. I'm finding vegan recipes to be helpful since vegans don't eat dairy or eggs. I guess I'm kind of a gluten free vegan right now :)

I eat Rice Chex with Almond milk regularly for breakfast and don't seem to have issues with it. Sometimes I make hot rice cereal for breakfast using almond milk. I do miss eggs, so I'm hoping eggs aren't the problem. I had already reduced dairy intake considerably (I still ate chocolate, but not anymore), so I wasn't finding it that hard to give up dairy completely. I will consider testing for soy and corn intolerance soon, too.

It's tough I know, but worth it to feel better. Good luck!

cougie23 Explorer

If it's any comfort, I've decided to go egg free and dairy free recently. I've been gluten free for 2 years now , I had already reduced dairy intake considerably (I still ate chocolate, but not anymore), so I wasn't finding it that hard to give up dairy completely. I will consider testing for soy and corn intolerance soon, too.

It's tough I know, but worth it to feel better. Good luck!

Hey cinnimon girl...You don't have to give up chocolate just yet! :o

I was wondering if you were eating milk or dark chocolate...? I found personally that milk chocolate and any big comerchal chocolate including herseys special DARK, gave me a stomache ache and pains in my head ,but that I could eat dark chocolate if it came from trader joes or other health concieous stores like whole foods...less ingreadients the better!

My favorite is at trader joes...you need to experiment..because dark chocolate comes in different degrees of bitterness...it can take some getting used to ( but when our options for satisfiing a sweet tooth have been so drasticly altered)..its not so bad! My favorite is a little middle of the road dark chocolate bar (from trader joes )that comes in a three pac that you can find with two other 3 pacs (milk chocolate and extra dark)up at the frount registers. The one I like is both sweet and creamy....more like regular milk chocolate bars but only dark! Besides dark chocolate is better for you (less crap) and its full of antioxidents. :D:D:D

So listen to Auntie cougies advice and go get your self some nice dark chocolate...LOL....just kidding, but seriously its not a bad alternative! B)

Archived