This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dough! Domino's Makes Gluten-Free Crust, But it's Not Safe for Celiacs - Opposing Views

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

Opposing Views

If you're among the millions of Americans with celiac disease, you might be excited by this news – but be cautious. The pizza chain itself says that the new pizza isn't meant for those with an allergy to gluten. According to Everyday Health, ...

Open Original Shared Link Pizza Marketplace.com

Open Original Shared Link Epicurious (blog)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Domino's Pizza which they are calling "gluten free," is not really gluten free because only the crust is, the toppings will be cross contaminated from the other's Domino's ingredients, and the work space and utensils used on them.

That is all you need to know.

• 3 months later...
SandraLAVixen Apprentice

I heard about it too looking at their menu.

Has anyone here tried it yet?

lovegrov Collaborator

Not with the warnings about contamination, No way, no how.

richard

kittty Contributor

I tried it once, because it came out around the same time I went gluten-free and wasn't yet well educated. It didn't taste that great, was really expensive, and it gave me diarrhea for three days. Big mistake!

1974girl Enthusiast

I had another celiac tell me she tolerates it just fine do I did order one this weekend for my daughter. I did ask for a manager and told him I wanted him to make it and make sure the screen was clean. He did tell me about same oven, etc but would be extra careful. They do not make their own dough so there isn't flour being thrown up I'm the air. My dd did fine. I honestly hear so many people talking about Mellow Mushroom because they are so safe. The lady I know said it makes her sick but Dominos does not. I say all that to say my dd said it wasn't that great and wouldn't even eat the leftovers. Haha

• 6 months later...
larry mac Enthusiast

Had one last night. It was fantastic. Crust was thin and very crispy, real pizza crusty. Extremely tasty. Just like real pizza. Absolutely no gluten free hideously tasting bread flavor like all the frozen gluten-free pizzas I've had.

Didn't have any reactions. I've eaten hot wings from pizza places before. And Subway gluten-free subs. Talked to the Dominos employee. He said they are careful when making them. Yes I'm well aware of the potential for cc. And their disclaimers about not being suitable for Celiac Diseasers. Pretty smart on their part. Eat it, get sick, or think you did, can't sue. Sure hope this is copied by other companies. No gluten-free ingredients. Employee training on minimizing cc. Still, big chance of cc. Let the gluten-free eater beware. But, your choice. Goes without saying, super sensitive, physically or pycologically, don't bother. For myself, I've decided I'm as close to a "normal" Celiac as there is. Not super sensitive, but have gotten real sick accidentally a few times.   

Decided to risk it. Was successful. For one glorious night I ate real pizza!

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived