This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Earth Balance Mindful Mayo - Is It Good?

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I need a dairy free, egg yolk free, soy free mayo. Earth Balance Mindful Mayo fits the bill but I can not get it locally. I called the company & they said they can't send me a sample jar. The only way I can get it is to order from Amazon & that requires I order 6 whole jars at one time which with s&h comes to about $50. I wouldn't mind spending that IF I knew this stuff is decent tasting & doesn't suck.

Here's a link to the product:

Open Original Shared Link

Soooooo, has anyone used this stuff & what is your opinion of it?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SensitiveMe Rookie

It is the only mayo I ever tried and really liked. I have tried other mayos with canola oil and they tasted so bad to me I threw them out. If I didn't have Earth Balance Mindful Mayo I would have to make my own. I keep stocked up on it in the fridge. If you get it make sure it is the one marked Original.

But my goodness!! for the price you have listed. I get it here in New York in ShopRite and pay 3.99 a jar for it.

A very similar tasting product which I also use and like is Follow Your Heart Soy-Free Vegenaise Dressing and Sandwich Spread which I also pay 3.99 a jar for in ShopRite. It is just a tad thinner than the Earth Balance Mindful Mayo. Ingredients are safflower oil, filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, pea protein, sea salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate. It is also marked egg and gluten free. It is manufactured by Earth Island. The website listing on the jar says www.followyourheart.com

Actually I even like it more than the Earth Balance Mindful Mayo and it has safflower instead of canola oil and sea salt instead of just salt listed as an ingredient.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thank you so much for your reply!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, I can't get it locally at all. And I've tried a billion online markets. The only place I found is Amazon & that means 6 jars. :( We have a health food store here which has a larger store in another town 45 miles away & even THEY don't carry it. Sigh.

I have looked for Vegenaise also but can't find it locally. I was about to get all excited about it until you said sea salt. I have dh & sea salt has iodine which makes my dh flare so I have to stay away from that. That's why we have to have an eggless mayo; because egg yolks are high iodine. I am sooooo glad you listed the ingredients in it. Now I will know not to bother with it.

I tried & tried several recipes for eggless mayo & they all flopped for me.

Once again, thanks for your reply. My hubs & I have missed mayo terribly & there are lots of dishes we could add to our food repertoire if we only had some decent tasting mayo.

squirmingitch Veteran

Go figure --- now it doesn't even show up on Amazon. But I found a health food store about 100 miles away that supposedly carries it. I will call them tomorrow & see if they do & if they will mail it to me.

SensitiveMe Rookie

By the way, these products are always kept here in the refrigerated section of the store unlike the regular mayo which is kept on the shelf. I sure wish you good luck in finding it...to me it beats trying to make my own.

I do have a recipe for mayo which supposedly makes 1/2 cup but I haven't tried it yet because I found the above products. I will put it here in case it may be helpful to you or someone and they could adjust the ingredients. I am limited in what I can have because of corn and soy intolerance in addition to gluten. I use agave nectar and guar gum because of the corn sensitivity.

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup water

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar

2 teaspoons white rice flour (or 1/2 teaspoon coconut flour for grain free)

1 teaspoon arrowroot

3/4 teaspoon guar gum

1/2 teaspoon agave nectar

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon salt

Throw everything in blender and blend until mixture emulsifies and thickens. Store in fridge up to a week.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thank you again! I may have to try it. I called the health food store & they stated they could not ship/mail it to me as (just as you pointed out) it is shipped to them refrigerated & apparently must be kept that way. So now I know why I can't find any online. Guess that was just a goof that it was on amazon once. 

SensitiveMe Rookie

Oh darn. Well maybe it will be become available someday where you are. I am thinking perhaps it is fairly new yet and just not that available. I only noticed it a couple of months ago and before that I just did without having any mayo at all.

If you do try making it and are not sensitive to corn you could use honey instead of the agave nectar and you could use xanthan gum instead of the guar gum. For me guar gum is hard to find in my area but a little natural market fairly nearby has it so when I ever get there I buy several little containers of it.

When I get a chance I am going to try the recipe I put above and fuss with it. I may need it some day. I already had plenty of glutenfree baking flops so what's a few mayo flops to me. I notice both these products use apple cider vinegar which I may use instead but they also each have something called pea protein in them and I don't know what that is.

I am sorry your attempts at trying to make your own have not turned out well. I hated putting a recipe here which I have not tried but since I also went for so long without mayo I figured it was worth a try as I sympathize about your not having any mayo. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Try the "avocado" spread option....  egg, dairy, soy and iodine free

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/100165-instant-mayonnaise-spread-from-avocado/

squirmingitch Veteran

Wow! How did he ever think that one up?

Sounds right up my alley but I know what the hubs will say (he doesn't like anything). That means the other half of the avacado will be saved for ME for the next day! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Archived