This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can All Of This Be Symptoms Of Celiac, And Will They All More Or Less Go Away If I Go Glutenfree?

Mum in Norway

Mum in Norway Contributor

I have realised the last two months, beeing on a gluten challange form my normal glutenfree-light diet, that most of my health conserns are gluten related. I havet been totaly glutenfree, and these things have come and gone without me conecting it to gluten, but now they are all realy just coming and not so much going. But could realy all of this be symptoms of celiac or NCGI? And are they likely to go away if I go totaly glutenfree after my biopsi next week? Also grate if anyone as any insights in wheter it's more likely to be celiac or NGCI..

So my symptoms are

Realy bad hart burn

Diarrhea/constipation

Abdominal pain

Headaces

Sore mucels

Joint pain

Fatuige

Insomnia

Vomiting

Tingeling in fingers and feet

Easely out of breath

Numbnes in face

Really bad reaction to alcohol

Pain under the soles of my feet

Lower back pain

Sometimes a really bad itch, but no rash

Swelling around my eyes

Brain fog

Problems focusing

Bad temper

Borderline depression

Anxiety

Thats all I can think of right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

If it is Celiac yes your symptoms can go away on a Gluten Free diet , it may take some time!! After 3 months I still have a rash on my back. So I know it doesn't take over night to have symptoms it doesn't go away over night. Not sure what NCGI is Is that the Gluten sensitivity? If so I believe the same way! You don't get there over night so it doesn't go away over night. The smarter peeps will pop in and give better insight :) 

Lock Newbie

Yes, all of those symptoms could be related to gluten, however, they might not be directly related, but rather indirectly related. It is possible that over the years gluten has done damage that might not be undone very easily.

For example the heart burn. It may go away immediately on a total gluten-free diet, or it may not. If you have developed further complications, for example, scar tissue formation. I think it is controversial anyway whether reflux is associated with celiac/GS. I believe it is, but some studies have found that it is not. However, personally I don't trust a lot of the studies because of the criteria they use. Celiacs positively diagnosed with biopsy where "healthy" controls in my opinion may not be healthy at all if they have a hidden gluten condition.

I have a lot of the same symptoms that you do. For me, going even partly gluten free "cured" about 90% of my anxiety and depression. But it did nothing for my rashes and my numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. The doctor says it will take months of being scrupulously gluten free before I will see improvement in most of my symptoms.

In my example, the hands and feet tingling is peripheral nerve damage that has been occurring for more than 20 years. I don't know how long it will take my nerves to repair themselves, if ever. The theory is that celiac gut damage prevented me from absorbing vitamins that are necessary for normal repair of cells, in my case nerve sheath cells, but also cells in every area of your body. If you have had trouble absorbing fat, you could be deficient in the fat soluble vitamins, which can be the direct cause of your symptoms. So removing gluten is key to healing the gut. But the rate at which your symptoms will improve might have more to do with how well you are able to get caught up with your nutrition. This is not always straightforward. For my example again, the gluten problem has caused me to also be sensitive to milk, and milk is where I had been getting all my vitamin D. Now that I am going to give up all dairy as well as gluten, I need to pay attention to getting enough vitamin D as well as calcium and magnesium, and vitamin A and K and zinc, and so forth.

So the answer is that yes going gluten free is the first step toward improving most if not all your symptoms, but if you do not have improvement in some of them, you may need to research a little into specific deficiencies and long term damage that may require some extra attention.

nvsmom Community Regular

Ditto the others, those symptoms could all be caused by gluten intolerance and may go away after time on the gluten-free diet, but if it is a complication created by years of untreated celiac disease, it may not improve.

I had most of your symptoms and most of them are gone after a year. Some of mine were made worse with hypothyroidism so I needed to treat that to get well. Settle in for the long haul, neuro and pain symptoms are often some of the last to improve.

Best wishes.

Archived